No announcement yet.

broadheads for big pigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbon Express fixed heads, Thunderheads, Rage, NAP expandable heads. Just gotta hit them right.

Comment

If I was shooting a heavier draw weight, say closer to 60# or above, I would surely use a 3-blade! IMHO, if your draw weight is over 60# you can use the biggest baddest bh out there with no worries. I only shoot 50#, so I use the 2-blades to get as far in as I can!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
        If I was shooting a heavier draw weight, say closer to 60# or above, I would surely use a 3-blade! IMHO, if your draw weight is over 60# you can use the biggest baddest bh out there with no worries. I only shoot 50#, so I use the 2-blades to get as far in as I can!

Bisch
        I am going to try some 2 blades bisch. I love the 3 bade VPAs but I am always open to somthing new. I will still be using the vpa for whitetail. Hopefully I can find some good two blades that will fly the same as my 3 blades. We will see
        Thanks for al the insight gentlemen.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post

Bisch
          I am going to try some 2 blades bisch. I love the 3 blade VPAs but I am always open to somthing new. I will still be using the vpa for whitetail. Hopefully I can find some good two blades that will fly the same as my 3 blades. We will see
          Thanks for all the insight gentlemen.

Comment

Bisch, I thought the same thing but all of my testing was done with light poundage bows. #40 and under got the best penetration with coc 3 blade broad heads.

Comment

Killerbee wrote:

"But, in the final analysis, I once asked Billy Shipp that same question. His response was "If you put it in the right place, it don't much matter. If you don't, it don't much matter."

I don't have the experience many of you do, but I reckon there's a lot of truth right there.

Joe
              Last edited by RoyseCity; 03-12-2016, 12:31 PM.

Comment

My best was 235 lbs. Took him with a 200 grain single bevel 2 blade head. Bow was a Dry Creek Brush Wolf, 52# at my 28" draw, 540 grain total arrow weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                  My best was 235 lbs. Took him with a 200 grain single bevel 2 blade head. Bow was a Dry Creek Brush Wolf, 52# at my 28" draw, 540 grain total arrow weight.
                  What kind of penetration did you get with this setup?thanks bud

Comment

First shot was a little far back and I got a pass through. Kill shot was slightly quartering away and the arrow stopped in the offside leg. Forgot to mention, the head was a Wolverine made by Eclipse Broadheads.
                    Last edited by Phillip Fields; 03-12-2016, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Testing to see if I have figured out how to post pics, but if I have, is this an accurate view of heart/lungs on a hog?

Best aiming point?

Thanks.

Joe
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by RoyseCity View Post
                        Testing to see if I have figured out how to post pics, but if I have, is this an accurate view of heart/lungs on a hog?

Best aiming point?

Thanks.

Joe
                        featherflinger sent me this same diagram....pretty sure its correct.

Comment

Big Sharp ones. The two in my avatar (sows) 100 and 125#, Magnus Mag I in 160 gr. from a MOAB 64# LB. 725 total grain weight.

Comment

I shoot around 55lbs and shoot tree sharks and 160 snuffers (both weighted to 200 grains). Arrows are beman bowhunter 400 full length, normal insert, 4 fletched 5 inch plastic vanes (500ish total weight) I normally have a little weighted down zwickey in the quiver for the big one, but never actually switched to it.

I actually haven't lost a pig since I started shooting the big heads. This last trip to texas I shot my compound (I caved for the Aoudad hunt) but the trip prior I shot 9 with my titan. Took a few with 40 plus yard shots and most arrows touched the off side. These were 170 something and 180 something on a "real scale".

I can tell you I hit a few back, and I almost felt bad. A tree shark with flat gut a pig!

I've had the same luck with head on shots, most didn't make it more then 20-30 yards. I also had a few nock me over doing that also. This guy was shot head on at 15 yards with a magnus stinger same Titan 425 grain total arrow weight. After the arrow hit him, he charged. Actually hit him with the bow. You can see the hole, arrow sank to the fletch.

These 2 were shot with 55lbs 425 grain arrows, 2 inch tree sharks and the arrows just stopped on the off side, 25 and 30 yard shots. 120 and 135 lbs pigs
                            Last edited by tradslam; 03-18-2016, 12:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X