broadheads for big pigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

broadheads for big pigs

Let's talk broadheads for big boars. I want to hear what you are and have been successful with. I am running about 50% recovery rate on big pigs right now I will give you my setup specks and I would like to hear yours.

I shoot a 54amo static tip recurve pulling 55lbs at 28.I am currently using a 175 grain vpa on a 350 traditional only arrow cut at 29. I have a 100 grain brass insert up front for a total arrow weight of 604 grains.

So let's hear it guys and gals. Is there anything that I could change to help me out?thanks Bill

I am talking big pigs as well. Any boar hog over 130 lbs just seems to develop into a diffrent animal if you know what I mean!
    Last edited by killerbee; 03-09-2016, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Where are you shooting them ?

Comment

Cheap broadheads. Lol it's a big boar! Arvin

Comment

Originally posted by LAW View Post
          Where are you shooting them ?
          Low in the arm pit....when I hit them right

I have shot 2 that were straight on and they were dead within 40 yards.....but it's a very small margin for error.

Comment

Just hard to find em when you don't get a pass through and they stop bleeding. Hardly ever get a pass through on the big ones with my setup.

Comment

Maybe I should have titled this thread "trad setups for big boars". Lol

Comment

Maybe I should continue to shoot them quartering foward? My shot placement was center chest and both that I shot this way we're very large boars. They died very fast but maybe I got lucky lol.

Comment

Originally posted by killerbee View Post
                  Just hard to find em when you don't get a pass through and they stop bleeding. Hardly ever get a pass through on the big ones with my setup.
                  ^^^This has been my experience but it seems everyone on TBH always gets passthroughs on every hog. Those suckers are just plain tough. Over 150#s, they can take an arrow, roll over, break it off, fill the wound with mud and run off like nothing ever happened. Sure they eventually die, but tracking them is nearly impossible. I use a faster setup than you, try to take quartering away shots and have had decent luck with 100 gr Muzzy three blades. My best hog was 200# and turned as I shot from a treestand. It penetrated 6" down into the lungs along the spine and he fell over dead in sight.

Comment

I have yet to get a larger boar with my current set-up, but I understand the issue. Even with my compound a few years back I had a nice quartering away shot on an easy 250-275lb'er. And yes I do know what one of those looks like, point is I felt good about the shot and then the hog barely flinched and headed for brush. i found one good spot where it had layed, but nothing more. If your close enough and feel good about the shot try just behind the ear. That's an incredibly hard target as they never seem to quit moving, but does wash one out fast.
                    My trad set-up for now is a 49lb (at my draw length) Jenkins recurve with 145 grain Zwickey eskimos and 100 grain brass insert on GT traditionals. I believe I am just over 500 grains.
                    Sorry for the long post here.

Comment

String tracker on the big ones, or just pass.

Comment

With respect, CaughtandHobble, I wouldn't pass.

I would on any game animal, but hogs are vermin. Tasty vermin, but feral vermin nonetheless.

Any hit is a good hit. Any dead hog is a good hog.

I know ranchers who gutshoot them on purpose so they'll die elsewhere, and I'm not that cold, but I don't lose sleep over a wounded hog, as I would a deer or elk.

Btw, I used to feel that way about coyotes, killed every one I could, but have grown soft with them. I only kill them now if they are causing trouble.

My dog tells me when they are in the pasture, and mostly I just let them go. Fun to watch. Hard on rats. I like hard on rats.

Joe

Comment

It really is amazing how tough the big ones are, still hate loosing one. Seems like if you hit them just right they don't go far and bleed like crazy, otherwise good luck. All my bad ending shots have, as I replay them, been too high. All would have been dead deer. Hogs vitals are lower and more forward. Low and between the shoulders is the place to go, how you get there is up to you. Quartering away is great but I am not surprised you succeeded w the forwarding to shots either. I'm just guessing that your arrow and broad head selection are fine, as long as it's really sharp.

Comment

I know this sounds crazy but the I have had more luck shooting them head on facing me?! Has anyone else had the same result? They are **** sure tough with a bow.....I didn't have much better results when I used to shoot a compound. I love hunting and shooting the big ones with a bow. They are very crafty and tough! I almost like the big boars as much as a big whitetail. Anyone who is sucessful on large boars with trad gear has my upmost respect!!!!! I would love to hear your stories and I will show you a couple I have shot as well.
                            Last edited by killerbee; 03-09-2016, 01:16 PM.

Comment

[ATTACH]779621[/ATTACH]

Comment

Working...
                              X