No announcement yet.

looking to get into traditional hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's all been said, but I will add my .02 cents. I hunted compounds, as did a lot of guys here, and made the switch to traditional bows but OVER BOWED myself in the start. I'm not a very big guy at 5'9 but I drew 70 lb compound. My first bow was a 53# Kodiak Hunter. Way to much to learn with. created some terrible form issues and had to back down to 42 and get things right. I wished I still had the Kodiak, but traded it so that I could get something better for me to learn with.
    Check out the classifieds here, the Leatherwall, RMS gear, and Big Jims bows just to name a few. There are really good used bows out there. Or you can buy a Samick. Nothing wrong with them. Note the different forms of grips. I tend to prefer a low wrist / Straight grip, similar to a lot of longbows. Others like a high wrist grip. It is all up to the shooter and there is a bow to mach.
    Also with enough weight carbons shoot fine. It is not mandatory but a good idea to try to shoot 10 grains per pound of draw weight. Ideal would be a 400 grain arrow for a 40 lb bow.
    A little long winded but hope you enjoy. OH, and just for starters, since you have a longer draw length, I would not start out with a bow less then 58" AMO.
    Good Luck.

Comment

Good stuff. Thanks. Considering I use a very light grip and shoot wrist high on my compound I think I would like a high wrist grip on a recurve. Is there a better bow out there for that type of grip?

Comment

Traditional archery is a whole other animal there is a shoot coming up on March 13th at banana bend archery in northern Baytown not too far from deer park that would be about your best shot at getting a lot of the information that you are interested in

Comment

Thanks for the heads up

Comment

Quick question:

What was your cousin's recurve? What model and draw weight was it? You said you had a blast with it so maybe something similar would be good.

BTW, a Samick sage has a nice high wrist grip, reminded me a lot of the grip of the Mathews bow I was shooting before I converted.

Comment

Not sure what he has. It was too short for me, but I'm easy to please. Put me outside with a bow in my hand and I'm having a blast. I'll ask him what it is, though. I just want to make sure whatever I buy now is something I'll be able to practice with and eventually hunt with.

Comment

My cousins bow is a red wolf. Apparently they aren't made anymore, though. He said the owner passed away and nobody took over

Comment

My first real trad bow that I could shoot was a scorpion or something like that for $65 off of ebay. I then bought a bunch of 70's models Bear Grizzly in 40, 45, 50, and 55#. I love those. They can still be found for pretty cheap. Just ask them about any damage (cracks, chips, and twists). I next inherited a Dryad Soothsayer and just last week I bought a new to me Sarrels.

It is an addiction. The only trad bow I ever sold was the 70# longbow because that was just stupid.

Bowfishing and small game hunting is 10000x more fun with trad gear.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                    My first real trad bow that I could shoot was a scorpion or something like that for $65 off of ebay. I then bought a bunch of 70's models Bear Grizzly in 40, 45, 50, and 55#. I love those. They can still be found for pretty cheap. Just ask them about any damage (cracks, chips, and twists). I next inherited a Dryad Soothsayer and just last week I bought a new to me Sarrels.

It is an addiction. The only trad bow I ever sold was the 70# longbow because that was just stupid.

Bowfishing and small game hunting is 10000x more fun with trad gear.
                    So is big game hunting!!!!!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by little john View Post
                      Traditional archery is a whole other animal there is a shoot coming up on March 13th at banana bend archery in northern Baytown not too far from deer park that would be about your best shot at getting a lot of the information that you are interested in
                      The trad guys are awesome to hang out with, they will let you shoot their bows and try them out. You will find out real quick which ones flip your trigger.

Comment

Many have said it, including me, but I'll say it again.

The odds that you will gather enough information here or anywhere else to buy a bow which fulfills your two goals (a bow to learn on and a hunting bow you will be happy with)are not in your favor.

Buy an inexpensive bow. <45#. Don't worry too much about which one. Just buy one.

If you buy it used, you will have no trouble recouping your modest investment.

While you are learning to shoot it, you will learn much.

Then, and only then, will you be prepared to buy a bow which might suit you long-term.

Most of us have gone through several bows to find the right one.

Some trade bows forever, enjoying the chase of perfection.

That keeps bowyers in business, and that is a good thing.

I don't mean to be rude. I'm an over thinker too. :-)

Joe

Comment

By the way, those stickys at the top are there for a reason.

Buff said most everything we've said here, a long time ago.

Imagine that!

Joe

Comment

*****. I did it again.

All I meant was to give props to Buff, and it looks like I meant the OP should have read the stickys.

Heck, I just noticed it myself.

I'll shut up pretty soon, I promise. I'm just excited to be here. :-)

Joe

Comment

I just listed a great longbow in the classifieds. It would be about 55# @ your draw length.

Comment

It's all good, Joe. Not only do I know nothing about traditional.....I'm also new to TBH. All advice is appreciated

Comment

Working...
                                X