Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This may have been the first 3D shoot ever.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This may have been the first 3D shoot ever.

Some of you may remember this if any of you are still around that came to the shoot..

Many years ago back when there were no such thing as 3D archery targets, somewhere around 30 years ago, our archery club decided to put on a tournament and shoot at life like targets. We wanted it to be a special shoot, one like no other we had ever shot. We thought and thought until we finally came up with a plan. We decided to get as many members as possible to volunteer to make life like targets. We needed 60 such targets. The photos are some of the ones I made. We made them by gluing Styrofoam sheets together and sculpting them into animal figures. We strengthened the legs with either heavy cardboard or ¼” plywood and fastened them to wooden stands. We then covered them with burlap we acquired from old cotton sacks using wallpaper glue. We used water base house paint for painting them. On the deer I made I used real antlers I had found and I used taxidermist eyes. The teeth on the Grizzly Bear are the tips of deer tines and the eyes were taxidermist eyes. The ears on both the deer and bear are made from plastic milk jugs.
    We made these back in the day when Stanley Hips had first come out with his foam silhouette targets. If I am not mistaken he came to the shoot just to see our targets. I don’t know for certain but this may have been the first 3D tournament ever in the USA. This was back in the mid 80’s. If it wasn’t the first it had to be one of the first.
    Anyway I thought you guys might like to see some of the targets. We made both North American and some African animals.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Straitshot; 07-25-2015, 12:24 PM.

Those are neat! Good job

Comment

That's awesome

Comment

That is a great story Louis.

Sounds like you fellas we the innovators of the 3D targets we know today.

Thank you for posting this!

Comment

Pretty fresking cool.

Comment

Those are impressive, even 30 years later!

How long did it take y'all to make 60 of those?

Comment

Nice ! Better looking than some store bought targets.

Comment

Cool story!!!

Comment

Man, that has been 30 years ago and I have slept a lot since then. I think we began building them a couple of months before the shoot. It may have been longer. I am sorry but to be honest I can't remember for certain. Maybe one of the other guys that was around then may remember if they show up for this thread.

Comment

That is awesome, and yáll did a fantastic job on those targets!

Bisch

Comment

Those are awesome!! I'd take those over any of the store bought targets today!!

Comment

Y'all were ahead of your time, those are great!!!

Comment

Wow.

Comment

That's too cool

Comment

That is awesome, thanks for posting

Comment

Working...
                              X