No announcement yet.

How to tie a String Noc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jason covers questions that he has received about archery tuning tips. In this one, he will teach you how to set your nocking point and tie in a D-loop. Make...

Opps... Mine's for a sting loop.
    Last edited by zr2chevy22; 04-25-2016, 09:37 PM.

Comment

Rick Barbee's method, all the way!!!

Comment

I know it's an old thread, but since it got bumped to the top here's yet another method for those who may be looking to make the switch from brass or simply try something new. It takes a little practice to line everything up correctly and set the proper tension, but once you've figured it out it's a pretty simple knot to tie:

Rick's suggestion to use material with a diameter larger than your center serving is spot on. I have a spool of .025 that I pretty much use exclusively for tying on nock points, I never had much success with "adjustability" using the skinnier stuff!

Comment

The most critical thing is the D Loop length. One tool I have found that is a big help is Michael Braden D Loop tool that precisely measures the length of the D Loop material. The tool is available at Lancaster Archery for about $10.
          Good luck!

Comment

I tie a clove hitch then a double knot on the under side and make sure I leave myself enough of a tail to tighten it down. Then I melt the ends with a lighter and put a dab of liquid-lok on it. Ricks method is a great way of doing it too
            Last edited by chackworth3; 04-26-2016, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SCoats View Post
              The most critical thing is the D Loop length. One tool I have found that is a big help is Michael Braden D Loop tool that precisely measures the length of the D Loop material. The tool is available at Lancaster Archery for about $10.
              Good luck!
              This thread is about tied on nocking points on traditional bow strings, but thanks for the info! If I ever have to install a D Loop, I'll look for that tool.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                Brass nock points work just fine. The things I do not like about them are that they are a pita if you have to move/remove them, and that they can unnecessarily wear into a glove or tab (I have personally experienced both of those things).

There is no downside to a tied on nock point, unless it is too loose, in which case it would not stay put.

Bisch
                I am a compound finger shooter and could not agree more on the brass nock points. I am going try the nail knot if it is movable.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                  Brass nock points work just fine. The things I do not like about them are that they are a pita if you have to move/remove them, and that they can unnecessarily wear into a glove or tab (I have personally experienced both of those things).

There is no downside to a tied on nock point, unless it is too loose, in which case it would not stay put.

Bisch
                  Also, if you happen to sport facial hair and anchor in the corner of your mouth, those brass nocks can take a mustache hair or two for a ride if you are not careful.

Comment

Ouch!

Comment

Working...
                    X