How to tie a String Noc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to tie a String Noc

Does anyone have tying a string noc illustrated ? I've used the same knot that Roland Jenkins uses, but can't seem to remember how to tie it.
    Getting old ! Lol
    I'm interested in any type y'all use.
    Thanks !

tuned in. I still have those metal nocking points and have been meaning to put knots there instead now that I've long since settled on my nock height.

Comment

There are different ways to do it. Here are the two that I kike the best.

If I have another person I do it this way: Tie an overhand knot on top of string. Have helper hold tension on knot while you wrap both ends around string in opposite directions and tie and overhand knot on underside of string, Have helper hold tension on underside knot and wrap strings around string in opposite directions and tie an overhand knot on top of string. Repeat this till you have tied 5 overhand knots. That 5th knot will bo on top. tinish it off with a second overhand knot on to[ to make a square knot. melt the ends together with a lighter. This is the way I like the best (but not necessarily any better or worse than any other method) and is totally adjustable on the string. You just screw it up or down the serving till it is in the correct place..

Sometimes I do not have an extra hand and will use a nail knot. Google nail knot and just tie that.

Youtube is your friend when you want to learn how to do something. The top three on this page should get you going: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...k+on+bowstring Th first video on top is basically the way I do mine, but I only do one layer (I do not doub;e stack it like he does in the video).

Whichever method you use, make sure your knot is good and tight, and you will not have to use any glue on your nockset. Glue can be detrimental to the string material.

Bisch
      Last edited by Bisch; 05-07-2015, 08:26 AM.

Comment

Rick Barbee has a tutorial on tying adjustable nocking points that you can twist up and down.
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Bingo!

Originally posted by jerp View Post
          Rick Barbee has a tutorial on tying adjustable nocking points that you can twist up and down.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YlYqDiJN8U

Comment

Years ago, a fellow showed me how to use sewing thread and superglue to wrap on a nocking point that won't move, and is much lighter than brass nocking points.

Adjustable nocking points are great for tuning, but when I have reached my final position, I use sewing thread and superglue for the final ones.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YlYqDiJN8U
              This is the nail knot method I was talking about in my post.

Bisch

Comment

Same as Bisch.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                  Sometimes I do not have an extra hand and will use a nail knot. Google nail knot and just tie that.
                  Never thought to use a nail knot. Makes total sense.

I only ever gave it a thought more recently because I anchor to the corner of my mouth. Well this one time a hair from my beard somehow got snagged on the lower brass nocking point and bow did I feel it on that release.

Comment

Brass nock points work just fine. The things I do not like about them are that they are a pita if you have to move/remove them, and that they can unnecessarily wear into a glove or tab (I have personally experienced both of those things).

There is no downside to a tied on nock point, unless it is too loose, in which case it would not stay put.

Bisch

Comment

Thanks for the help you all.
                      I appreciate it !

Comment

Stykbow, you cant beat waxed dental floss for a "tie-on" nocking point! Its very strong, waterproof, and it will tighten up real well. I always use it and have had zero issues over the years. God Bless, Rusty

Comment

I use Bisch's overhand knot style. Only difference is I use 7 knots - gives me a little more to get hold of when I need to adjust it. I use BCY nock tying thread; it seems to stay tight while you're tying it without needing help with the tension.

Comment

Sounds good !

Comment

Stykbow, which nocking point did you end up using?

Comment

Working...
                              X