No announcement yet.

Live Trad hunt...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the hog was standing broadside, I'd wager a very strong bet you missed the heart completely, if you behind the front leg at all.The heart lays between the front legs right on the breast bone and the hog has to be quartering away. Also the lack of blood is another strong evidence you didn't hit the heart.

Sometimes the diagrams you see are very miss leading, the heart does not extend back past the front leg, actually the top tilts forward to some degree.
    I'd guess (not seeing or hear more detail of the hit) you hit right behind the heart and just under the liver.

It does happen, and will happen again. Keep after those little tanks !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Greywolf in Hawaii View Post
      If the hog was standing broadside, I'd wager a very strong bet you missed the heart completely, if you behind the front leg at all.The heart lays between the front legs right on the breast bone and the hog has to be quartering away. Also the lack of blood is another strong evidence you didn't hit the heart.

Sometimes the diagrams you see are very miss leading, the heart does not extend back past the front leg, actually the top tilts forward to some degree.
      I'd guess (not seeing or hear more detail of the hit) you hit right behind the heart and just under the liver.

It does happen, and will happen again. Keep after those little tanks !!!
      I think I most likely did miss the heart on that pig otherwise there would have been obvious blood. The POI appeared straight up the front leg, 3-4 inches above belly line however it all happened so fast I could be mistaken. She was grunting for a couple minutes after the shot in the brush which also leads me to believe the heart was not hit.

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
          If you hit that pig where you think....that pig is dead and just in a place where you didn't find it. If you hit the low chest with even a 3 or 4 inches of penetration you kill that animal. Not surprising that the blood trail was light, pigs are often that way and with the arrow still in it....that is not uncommon.

I wish I could have been there to help you grid search. Thanks for taking us along and better luck on the next one.
          I agree with Chunky. Unless you hit too far back, that pig's down somewhere. Grid searching works. The last doe I killed didn't leave a trail. Found her this way in tall grass.

Well, you're initiated. Now, go out there and tear em up.

Comment

Working...
          X