Helical on gains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Helical on gains?

Fellow told me you could use plastic vians and put a R/W helical on an arrow. I know it's not traditional looking but if it saves me 20 bucks a pack I'm all for trying it out. Any of y'all try it?
    Last edited by BIG_B; 09-06-2011, 04:45 PM.

Yep. I do it all the time.

It's a little trickier to shoot the vanes from the shelf, but absolutely doable, and you can always put a stick on elevated rest on, and be able to tune the vanes to shoot real easy.

Rick

Comment

Brian, you pretty much have to shoot an elevated rest to use plastic vanes. Rick barbee will tell you you can do it off the shelf but it is very hard to get set-up right.

Dang-it, Rick! You type faster than me.

Bisch
      Last edited by Bisch; 09-06-2011, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Thnx, I stick with what I got right. Got enough issues I need to work on first...lol. Birch I still need to come up and let you share some your knowledge with me.

Comment

Originally posted by BIG_B View Post
          Thnx, I stick with what I got right. Got enough issues I need to work on first...lol. Birch I still need to come up and let you share some your knowledge with me.
          Who is Birch? j/k At least you did not put a "t" in there!

Come on up and we'll see what we can see. I have an alligator hunt next week (m-th) but am open most other times.

Bisch

Comment

Patience is a virtue, or so they say.

It really isn't that hard to shoot vanes off the shelf, you just have to go at it with certain things in mind.

The process I have found to work 100% of the time is this:

1 - Build your strike plate out, so that you have only the amount of shelf that you need holding the arrow with no excess. This moves the arrow out, and away which reduces
            contact area of the fletching.

2 - Place a piece of leather, wood dowel, or other material under the shelf material at a 90 degree angle to the strike plate, and holds the arrow about 1/4" higher than the actual shelf. I have found this to work best when placed directly above the deepest area
            of the throat of the grip.

3 - Step one will require you to weaken the spine of the arrow some. How much can only be determined by tuning, and can usually be achieved by adding a little point weight.

These 3 things will give more clearance all around, and will better utilize paradox
            to maintain the clearance throughout the arrow pass.

Once this is done, both vanes and feathers will shoot the same, and you will in all likelihood have a more forgiving setup to shoot.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by BIG_B View Post
              Fellow told me you could use plastic vians and put a R/W helical on an arrow. I know it's not traditional looking but if it saves me 20 bucks a pack I'm all for trying it out. Any of y'all try it?

Comment

Big b I would wait until you get your bow tuned to shoot feathers before you open that can of worms

Comment

I just got my morrison shooting good with feathers, I don't think I'm patience or smart enough to try it with vanes.

Comment

Bisch sorry this dang auto spell check on my iPad is killing me....but the "T" woulda got the mods up set

Comment

Working...
                    X