No announcement yet.

What exactly is a pistol grip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pistol grips are on pistols only. You have bow grips that are low, medium, and high wrist. JMO. I will try to get David to take it off of the TSLBC flyer to eliminate confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis Vaden View Post
      Pistol grips are on pistols only. You have bow grips that are low, medium, and high wrist. JMO. I will try to get David to take it off of the TSLBC flyer to eliminate confusion.
      I was hoping you'd weigh in, Lewis! That sounds like a good idea (your wanting to convince David to remove that pistol-grip rule) - thanks. I wasn't concerned that my new Lutkenhaus longbow didn't qualify for the TSLBC, since Bobby assured me it would and he's had a LOT of his bows in competition there. And I have no doubt the riser will fit in the jig with room to spare.

I just took a wild hair to KNOW what was the difference between a pistol grip and non-pistol grip bow riser was...I had a vague idea that Dusty's Martin Hatfield recurve was "pistol grip".

I guess, though, I am still as confused as ever about what, exactly, IS a "pistol grip" on a bow. There sure are a lot of bowyer's websites that reference their grip as being "pistol".

I wish someone could post pics labeled like:
      This is a pistol grip.
      This is NOT a pistol grip.

Comment

I wish someone could post pics labeled like:
        This is a pistol grip.
        This is NOT a pistol grip.

If you get 10 people together, you could get 10 different opinions on what is a pistol grip. If you talk to the Hill style shooters, anything that doesn't have a straight grip is considered a pistol grip. They will also say any longbow with reflex/deflex is a recurve.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewis Vaden View Post
          If you get 10 people together, you could get 10 different opinions on what is a pistol grip. If you talk to the Hill style shooters, anything that doesn't have a straight grip is considered a pistol grip. They will also say any longbow with reflex/deflex is a recurve.
          Well, that's all I need to know, then, Lewis. Thanks!
          My final conclusion therefore is:
          There IS NO ultimate, absolute definition of what a pistol grip is.
          Period, end of story.

Comment

Well, that's all I need to know, then, Lewis. Thanks!
            My final conclusion therefore is:
            There IS NO ultimate, absolute definition of what a pistol grip is.
            Period, end of story.

I think you are exactly correct.

Comment

Here you go M2. While there are high, medium and low grips, there are also high medium and low pistol grips. The pistol that is referred to is not an old colt revolver or Terry's old 1911 pistol. It referrs to target pistol grips. These usually have a palm swell and thumb rest and tend toward fitting the hand much closer than most bow grips. They are more noticeable in the higher wrist grips. I have a bow that has a good example. I'll go take a picture. I'll be right back.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                Here you go M2. While there are high, medium and low grips, there are also high medium and low pistol grips. The pistol that is referred to is not an old colt revolver or Terry's old 1911 pistol. It referrs to target pistol grips. These usually have a palm swell and thumb rest and tend toward fitting the hand much closer than most bow grips. They are more noticeable in the higher wrist grips. I have a bow that has a good example. I'll go take a picture. I'll be right back.
                Looking forward to the pic, Draco, thanks.
                And, yes, I realize(d) that a pistol gripped bow handle is not the same as a gun's pistol grip . I did not know that a "target pistol"'s grip was dramatically different from an old colt.
                My husband's bow is a Martin Hatfield take-down and we believe it to have a pistol grip - what say you?
                Click image for larger version

Name:	usedhatfield.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	24013953
                Last edited by M-2; 09-04-2011, 08:29 PM.

Comment

I'm back M2. The first picture is of my old Groves target recurve that I used to shoot NFAA field archery with and the other is my 70# Brackenbury. You can see, although different in sizes and shapes, they both have a palm swell. In the next pictrure, from the front or archers side, you can see the palm swell real well as well as the thumb rest. Some, but not these, also have finger grooves as well. These things make for a very precise hand fit every time.

In the last picture my Pronghorn is on the left and has a low long bow grip. The right bow is a bow I made about thirty years ago. I really didn't have a clue what I was doing and made the grip a very high grip. While high, it is not a pistol grip as it has no swell or thumb rest but would just be considered a locator grip.

I hope this helps some. I don't think you will have any trouble with your new bow qualifying. Uuuhhh, well, unless your shooting really good and then some one will complain. One of the reasons I quit target shooting 30 years ago.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I wouldn't consider your husband's bow to have a pisto; grip as no palm swell, thumb rest or finger grooves. However there are other opinions that would matter more than mine. Part of the problem I would say.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                      I wouldn't consider your husband's bow to have a pisto; grip as no palm swell, thumb rest or finger grooves. However there are other opinions that would matter more than mine. Part of the problem I would say.
                      OK, thanks for going to all the trouble, Draco! Your pics are much more pronounced curves than Dusty's Martin riser for sure...
                      I think I "get it". But, again, I'd bet there ARE still differences of opinion - and likely none would matter any more than your own
                      Ah, the nuances of bowmaking we belabor...

And, no I am in no way worried about my beautiful new bow and the TSLBC, either with its grip or anyone complaining that I shoot too well, lol. I do believe my new Predator LB will help me shoot better than I do now and that is all I plan to measure (I am a realist).

Comment

Working...
                      X