What exactly is a pistol grip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What exactly is a pistol grip?

CEpperson's new bow reminded me I still don't understand what constitutes a "pistol grip" on a longbow.
    I ask because I know the State Longbow Championship doesn't allow them.
    Can anyone help me? Are they the same as a recurve grip?

Also, are recurve risers all pistol grips?
    Thanks if you can help!

Martha, CEppersons grip would be considered a pistol grip at TSLBC. A pistol grip is basically just an old style recurve grip. That Bob Lee longbow is basically a recurve handle with longbow limbs.

Also, allrecurve grips are not pistol grips. Almost all of Bob's recurves are not pistol grips. Bob's recurves are more of a longbow style riser and handle. The pistol grip would be any of them shaped like the one CEpperson just bought.

Bisch
    Last edited by Bisch; 09-01-2011, 09:15 PM.

Comment

No, Martha, not all recurve risers are pistol grips.

Comment

Subjective at best..... My Colt model 1911 pistol has a straighter grip than most longbows. Funny thing is I saw a bunch of people shooting Bob Lee stics at the TSLB. Most people would consider those to have a pistol grip. Not that I care. I am one of those shoot what ya brung guys because everyone knows it aint the bow it is the monkey pulling the string back.

Comment

What they said

Comment

Thanks and please help me be clear on what y'all are saying.

CEpperson's takedown longbow with the recurve style riser is illegal to shoot at the TSLC because it has a "pistol grip". Is that correct?

All Bob Lee takedown longbows have recurve style risers with "pistol grips". Is that correct?

Several Bob Lee takedown longbows have been seen shooting legally at the TSLC with their recurve style risers with "pistol grips". What am I missing here?

Comment

Thank you, gentlemen, very much.
              I've looked at pics of different risers and now see that no, a recurve doesn't HAVE to have a pistol grip (but Dusty's and my Martin's do) and a longbow CAN have a pistol grip (as CEpperson's does). I guess I always just associated a pistol grip generally with recurves, and never with longbows - but see now that either can have either.

TSLBC doesn't allow longbows with pistol grips, yet Terry has seen Bob Lee longbows with what most people consider to be pistol grips there. LOL. I guess that tells me I am not the only one who needed (or needs) the ambiguity cleared up

Comment

Martha, some folks could call this a pistol grip... (not me)

It's not what I would class as a pistol grip, just a deep locater grip...

do they have a jig that the riser has to fit in?
                Last edited by Mike Javi Cooper; 01-22-2014, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Javi Cooper View Post

Yes they do. However the jig simply measurs the "thickness" of the riser at predetermined points. It is up to the inspectors to pass or fail a bow based on the rules. This is how I have always understood it.

Comment

I would agree with you, Mike. My new longbow grip is similar:
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Predator2.JPG
Views:	4
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	24011765

Comment

Originally posted by fletcherfor2 View Post
                      Thanks and please help me be clear on what y'all are saying.

CEpperson's takedown longbow with the recurve style riser is illegal to shoot at the TSLC because it has a "pistol grip". Is that correct?

All Bob Lee takedown longbows have recurve style risers with "pistol grips". Is that correct?

Several Bob Lee takedown longbows have been seen shooting legally at the TSLC with their recurve style risers with "pistol grips". What am I missing here?
                      That and more because it is a takedaown. Takedowns are NOT allowed at TSLBC.

As far as I know, it really does not matter what the handle looks like as long as when you walk up to the table where they check bows, and they put their little contraption on it to check the riser, your bow fits in the little contraption.

Not sure if all Bob Lee longbows have pistol grips and I'm not sure if they even make a one piece but it would have to be a one piece to compete in TSLBC.

Bisch
                      Last edited by Bisch; 09-02-2011, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Yes Mike, they have a jig they place over the riser. If the bow does not fit in the jig, it does not qualify. There are measurements that the riser cannot be over so wide 3" above the shelf and so wide 6" below the shelf but I cannot remember what the measurements are.

Bisch

Comment

I recently ordered a Kanati longbow and questioned a few people with TSLC about the grip. The bowyer said he could make the riser fit the measurements ( 3" above the shelf no thicker than 1 1/8" and 6" below the shelf no thicker than 1 1/2") and when I spoke to David he told me he didn't think a bow had ever been disqualified for having a pistol grip. Lewis Vaden guaranteed me it would be OK to shoot.

Comment

No, Martha,

Comment

Originally posted by shortstroke 91 View Post
                              I recently ordered a Kanati longbow and questioned a few people with TSLC about the grip. The bowyer said he could make the riser fit the measurements ( 3" above the shelf no thicker than 1 1/8" and 6" below the shelf no thicker than 1 1/2") and when I spoke to David he told me he didn't think a bow had ever been disqualified for having a pistol grip. Lewis Vaden guaranteed me it would be OK to shoot.
                              Originally posted by griffbowhunter View Post
                              No, Martha,
                              First, thanks to everyone who took time to reply - much appreciated.

shortstroke, thanks for the measurements. I think somebody posted a .pdf file of the TSLBC flyer awhile back but I can't find it now. Since they don't have a website, maybe they would allow TBoT to post next year's shoot on the TBoT site, complete with the flyer/rules. I prepared the scores this year and had them posted on TBoT so everybody could see how they stacked up (and MKCharlie did the same a few years ago and posted them here on TBH).

I think it would help their attendance. Interesting that I *think* I remember seeing that a "pistol grip" is not allowed at TSLBC in their rules. Maybe I was wrong about it being in there? Or maybe I'm not the only one who doesn't really "get" what EXACTLY constitutes a pistol grip, since there has never been an instance that one has been disqualfied?

griffbowhunter, thanks, was your "no" reply is to these two questions:
                              Are they (pistol grip) the same as a recurve grip?

Also, are recurve risers all pistol grips?

Comment

Working...
                              X