Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Optimal ammo weight for 308

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before everyone switched to shooting 6.5 and .308 ruled the land, federal gold medal match 168 gr was the industry standard for accuracy tests. My rem 700 shoots sub 1/2pm a with it but not a good hunting round.

My rifle shoots 150gr federal fusion at the exact same POI as the federal gold medal match so if I am shooting paper or hunting I don’t have to worry about different zeros. Also, it just so happens since Walmart carries the round it is extremely readily available. As others have mentioned your 1 in 10 probably favors the slightly heavier rounds. Federal also sells a 175gr gold medal match but your rifle should still shoot the 168s extremely well.

Comment

My 24inch ADL likes 150 grain cheap ol core lokts, my sps 13inch bbl likes the 150grain interlocks. Im going to try the 125sst as soon as i have time,

Comment

Originally posted by Lincoln Hawk View Post
        Tikka 308 CTR with a 20" tube. W/ suppressor.

With handload accuracy, it really likes 150 Interlock (I'm not impressed with terminal performance)
        Im curious about this comment. I’ve never had a failure or lack of performance with the interlocks. What were you seeing?

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

I think the 165/168 range bullets for the 308 is a good fit. I can tell you, mine does not like 168ttsx!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincoln Hawk View Post
            Tikka 308 CTR with a 20" tube. W/ suppressor. 1:11" twist.

As far as factory loads go, it always loved this:

.308 WIN – 165gr Sierra SBT GameKing, ammunition that leaves your barrel at the same high velocity at extreme temperature range, a feature called Ballistic Temperature Independence.

With handload accuracy, it really likes 150 Interlock (I'm not impressed with terminal performance) and 168 Gold Dots (my favorite all-around 308 bullet) <1" groups all day.

180 grain Ballistic Tips are meh ~ 2" groups.

Interestingly the gun HATES 165 Interlock boattails. 3"+ groups.
            What was the problem with the 150 interlocks?

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Comment

My savage 1:10 shot 175/178s great before I cut 10” off the barrel now I’m shooting 168/165s depending on what I’m doing with it. Took a few deer at 500+ yards pushing a 165gr Accubond at 2700fps perfect expansion and down range performance. Don’t over think it. Find something that shoots small groups,verify velocity, send it.

Comment

I've had great luck with Hornady Black 168gr Amax in everything I've shot them in

2x AR-10 (1 Faxon, 1 PSA barrel- both 1-10t)
                1x Rem 783
                2x Rem 700P LTRs
                1x Rem 700 (buddy's WTO custom)

However- The 155gr Amax Hornady Black did not group nearly as well but only tried them in the PSA AR10 and the Rem 783.

For deer killing I think the 168 Amax (or ELDM) give the perfect terminal performance at short .308 barrel velocities and have the right construction for whitetails.

Comment

I prefer the 155 grainers. Scenars are my favorite.

Comment

Another fan of 168 here!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

155 Bergers or 150 Sierra and have two guns that shoot 125 Sierra's with a W748

Comment

My Savage and my nephew's Beraga 308's both shoot 175 gr SMK better than any other bullet. Both rifles are 1:10 with 5R rifling. Anything from 165 up to 180 might be the best. Shoot em all and see.

Comment

7.62 nato match ammo used by the military was/is 173 gr & 175 gr for long range.
                          M80 ammo we used in the M60 was 147gr

Comment

Optimal ammo weight for 308

I’m my experience short barrel
                            308 does best with bullets in the 150-175 weight class.

Mine likes 168 Gold Dots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                            Last edited by Mike D; 11-15-2022, 01:37 PM.

Comment

I shoot 150 or 165s in my 308s. Same with my buddies. We reload, but even then stick in that range. Rifles like different projectiles more than others, but I haven’t found a 308 yet that won’t shoot a 150 or 165gr bullet of some offering.

With a 308 I wouldn’t shoot 180+ grain bullets. Just no need for that lost velocity.

Comment

3 shots from my Ruger American Predator 308. 150gr Sierra Gameking SPBT over IMR4064.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X