No announcement yet.

308 & Elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll go out on the other side and say it depends on the terrain and elevation. Yes it will kill it, I killed mine with a 270. I found it two days later about 300 yards from were I shot. Hit right where I aimed. Problem is at 10,000 feet in timber with blow downs every 10 yards, tracking is a nightmare without a pass though for a blood trail. If I go back it will be with a 300 mag or 300 WSM. They are a thick animals and takes a lot of energy to get all the way thru.

Now in an area like I hunted elk with a bow in Bozeman, MT and wouldn't think twice about taking my 270 or 308 there. Terrain would make tracking very easy compared to high country timber.

Comment

Sounds like that elk hunt is a good excuse for a new rifle!!!

The .308 will do just fine though-- load up a well constructed bullet, and be honest about the distances and energy your weapon/cartridge/bullet combo will provide.

I shot a large red stag with a .308 and 168gr Amax-- lung shot-- he turned directly away, wobbled for a bit and then tipped over-- not an ideal combo but it was a chance encounter and I knew better than to put that particular bullet into a shoulder blade.

Comment

I’d probably load a 165 gameking and get to work.

Comment

.308 is fine. as mentioned previously just load up with a good bullet like an accubond and your golden.

Save your money on a rifle and spend it on better clothing and footwear for your hunt.

Comment

tagged

Comment

I like heavy for caliber stuff but then again, I'm also planning on taking this same bullet/caliber for nilgai because it's what I have currently.

The trophy bonded tip isn't mentioned a lot but its a very underrated bullet. It's predecessor was the trophy bonded bear claw.

Comment

Why would a .308 Win not work? Arrows kill elk. And 22LR will kill pigs and just about anything else given the right circumstances.

The only 2 reasons I can think of for a 308 to not kill an elk is, wrong shot placement. And/or not understanding what your firearm limitations, and your limitations, are.

Comment

A 308 will kill an elk, of course. But you have to get the gun to where the elk is before you can shoot it. Therefore, the only other question in my mind is: Do you want to lug the 308 all over the mountains? Or, would it be better to carry something lighter?
                  I have taken elk with my Tikka 270 WSM.

Comment

Working...
                  X