No announcement yet.

308 & Elk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We took a couple cows last year with some 178gr 308. One drop in it's tracks, the other went 10 yards or so.

Comment

No matter the caliber…all my future elk shots will be to the shoulder to disable locomotion. The guide I had in NM said thats where he tells all the hunters to shoot on trophy bulls. Ill take minced meat over no meat.

Good luck MrPI.

Comment

Bull in my avatar was killed with a .308. 165gr or 150gr bullet, I don’t recall

Comment

The 308 is a fine elk cartridge. Anyone who would tell you otherwise is badly misinformed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes and I shoot partitions.

Comment

Originally posted by Diamond07 View Post
              Randy Newberg takes a lot of elk with the 308 and 7mm-08. Watch some of his videos online if you want to build confidence in it. Just find a good quality, accurate bullet.
              This was going to be my post as I've never killed an elk with any weapon. Randy just hunts and doesn't take mile long shots at elk.

Comment

a few years back Field & Stream had an article on the evolution of 'The Elk Cartridge'. It was a great read.

For years THE elk cartridge was the .270. It was a hot rod and flat shooting. Since with the progression of other calibers the .300 and its assoc. offspring, the 6.5, and the 7mm are very popular.

The .308 is a fantastic caliber. I would not hesitate a second to utilize mine for this hunt. However at distance the .308 starts to drop dramatically. I would comfortably make a 600 yd shot with mine. However I have lots of time behind the trigger at that distance.

I do however, second the notion that this is a prime excuse to purchase a new rifle....

Comment

Originally posted by trykonroye View Post
                  a few years back Field & Stream had an article on the evolution of 'The Elk Cartridge'. It was a great read.

For years THE elk cartridge was the .270. It was a hot rod and flat shooting. Since with the progression of other calibers the .300 and its assoc. offspring, the 6.5, and the 7mm are very popular.

The .308 is a fantastic caliber. I would not hesitate a second to utilize mine for this hunt. However at distance the .308 starts to drop dramatically. I would comfortably make a 600 yd shot with mine. However I have lots of time behind the trigger at that distance.

I do however, second the notion that this is a prime excuse to purchase a new rifle....

Agreed...........You deserve a new rifle!!!

Comment

308 is more than enough. The real question is what are you going to shoot off of. Start practicing with pack and trekking poles because you are not likely to find that tripod in the prone position shot.

Comment

165gr Accubond

Comment

308 is fine for elk the more important part is using the right bullet and good shot placement

Comment

Just remember, they had to put a restricted season on elk, and the grizzly bear became endangered in the lower 48 because of the .30/30 Winchester, a lesser cartridge than the .308. Load up some 200 grain Speer hot-cor, or some 180 or 200 grain Sierra Gamekings and go hunting!

Comment

Barns ttsx 150gr is some good stuff in a .308 = or better then a .270 @ 350 meters

If I was looking for a new caliber? 6.5-284 , 300 H&H , 35 whelen
                            ( I like old school )
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 05-31-2022, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Your crappy old .308 will not work! You need to by a proper (new) rifle and scope! Seriously, proper placement of a proper bullet is way more important than bullet diameter or velocity. I do recommend a bonded bullet like a Nosler partition or accubond especially if you're thinking about shoulder shooting them.

I hope you get to go. I went for the first time last year and it was a blast.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Bows kill elks so a 308 will work but you can always use this as a reason to buy a new gun. I need a friend likes yours. Hope it works out for you.

Comment

Working...
                                X