Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oktx View Post
    I hear ya. Crossbow?
    I have one but it feels the same as a rifle even though I limit it to 20 yard shots. I don't know part of me wants to shoot them part of me wants my daughter to be old enough already to shoot them for me and i just sit back and call. I wouldn't say it's gotten to easy to kill them but it's not the same as when I first started so I'm trying to put the difficulty back into it. Was looking at a blackpowder shotgun for next year maybe.

Comment

I'm not exactly up to date on the laws on turkey huntin in Texas but you said you used to use a .22mag. Why not shoot them with a pistol? That would be a lot harder. Especially something with open sights.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
        I'm not exactly up to date on the laws on turkey huntin in Texas but you said you used to use a .22mag. Why not shoot them with a pistol? That would be a lot harder. Especially something with open sights.
        Rios you can eastern you have to use legal bow or shotgun. I was also thinking about that I have a 1911 in 9mm that I used to use for 3 gun matches ten or so years ago. Would work shouldn't tear up the meat to bad

Comment

This^^^ lmartin5,
          I agree...killed my first turkey with a .410...great memories!

Comment

Originally posted by shwacker1911 View Post
            Rios you can eastern you have to use legal bow or shotgun. I was also thinking about that I have a 1911 in 9mm that I used to use for 3 gun matches ten or so years ago. Would work shouldn't tear up the meat to bad
            No I don't think it would. Especially if you're shooting a broadside shot or frontal shot. If you shoot one in the back it might blow a bigger chunk out of the breast meat but it won't destroy it.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
              No I don't think it would. Especially if you're shooting a broadside shot or frontal shot. If you shoot one in the back it might blow a bigger chunk out of the breast meat but it won't destroy it.
              I'm probably going to take both since combined they weigh less then my 12 ga and see how it plays out if I can get one closer then 10 yards the 1911 will eat

Comment

15 yard shot after getting the red dot set up
                You're good to go!

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
                  You're good to go!
                  X2, great pattern.

Comment

Read this article: Going Small for Gobblers
                    A new breed of ammo is changing the way we turkey hunt
                    By T. EDWARD NICKENS
                    February/March 2022

When I was ten, I received a Winchester Model 37 "Steelbilt" .410ga 28"bbl single shot shotgun for Christmas. It shot a tight choke pattern out to 30 yards. Great for snakes. Most fun I ever had hunting gobblers was calling one in to within 20 yards and with 3 inch high base #9 shells, it was like exploding a feather pillow. I lost it in the pasture and it got ruined. A new one costs a lot more than in 1963. There are some new automatic 410s that I would consider buying now to use with tungsten ammo.

Comment

I saw in the Bass Pro turkey edition catalog I got yesterday that they have a Savage single shot .410 for sale at $199. Comes with an extra full choke and can take 3" shells.

Comment

Originally posted by GroceryGetter View Post
                        I saw in the Bass Pro turkey edition catalog I got yesterday that they have a Savage single shot .410 for sale at $199. Comes with an extra full choke and can take 3" shells.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/sava...e-shot-shotgun
                        Same one I have only difference is the red dot that came on mine

Comment

Originally posted by BarBBar View Post
                          Read this article: Going Small for Gobblers
                          A new breed of ammo is changing the way we turkey hunt
                          By T. EDWARD NICKENS
                          February/March 2022

When I was ten, I received a Winchester Model 37 "Steelbilt" .410ga 28"bbl single shot shotgun for Christmas. It shot a tight choke pattern out to 30 yards. Great for snakes. Most fun I ever had hunting gobblers was calling one in to within 20 yards and with 3 inch high base #9 shells, it was like exploding a feather pillow. I lost it in the pasture and it got ruined. A new one costs a lot more than in 1963. There are some new automatic 410s that I would consider buying now to use with tungsten ammo.
                          Good read. I have been looking locally for tss shot. I have some lead shot In #4,#6 and #8.5 I think

Comment

With turkey Season a month away. I am considering using a 410 for them this year. Started with a 12 ga moved to a 20 then a 22mag. Killing them just feels like I'm cheating the bird.. anyone use a 410 for then?
                            Go back to the 22 and try shooting while you sit on one hand, or stand on one leg. Maybe shoot with both eyes open, or closed!

Comment

Try em with bow...things can get real close

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by greyghost7 View Post
                                Try em with bow...things can get real close

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                                Save that for the bowhunting site!

Comment

Working...
                                X