Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does everyone need a magnum caliber?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RMW View Post
    I’ve killed 100s of deer and probably a 1000 hogs with different calibers and I can tell you a big magnum will take them down faster than a small caliber. Speed kills faster

You don’t have to have a magnum to have speed. 22-250 comes to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
      You don’t have to have a magnum to have speed. 22-250 comes to mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      204 ruger 4250fps ...

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
        204 ruger 4250fps ...
        And whatever it hits is going to have severe trauma.Like even a large hog hit in or around the ear should drop like a rock. I would guess that you are quite proficient with it as well.

I know I am better shooting lighter recoiling guns. That has been my observation at the range as well. YMMV

Comment

I have a 300wm.
          I sure as daggone don't need it.
          I've killing ~200lb hogs with a 556 loaded with 73 grain bullets out to 200 yards, lately.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
            Seems like everyone one I know or hunt with thinks they need a magnum to kill a white tail, when did this become such a thing?

Most of the people I know get a large magnum then put the lightest projectiles offered in it. My opinion is to shoot a heavy projectiles out of any cartridge you use as long as you can get the desired velocity.

I’m a short action guy and I normally use the least amount of gun that I need to ethically kill with. Most kills are with .260/.308/6.5grendel/223.

Just a conversation starter...
            What difference does it make?
            Buy what you want.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
              I have a 300wm.
              I've killing ~200lb hogs with a 556 loaded with 73 grain bullets out to 200 yards, lately.
              And you could load 3- 223's with the amount of powder in the 300 WM!
              There isn't anything wrong with the magnums it's just over kill (pun intended) most of the time.

You can kill most anything with a Ford Focus! You don't need an 80,000 # Peterbilt most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by kwarw View Post
                And you could load 3- 223's with the amount of powder in the 300 WM!
                There isn't anything wrong with the magnums it's just over kill (pun intended) most of the time.

You can kill most anything with a Ford Focus! You don't need an 80,000 # Peterbilt most of the time.
                And a person could easily get killed by a deer in a focus- not so much by a Pete!

Comment

Because we are Americans and we make stuff bigger, better, more expensive even if it’s totally not needed. MERICA !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                    And a person could easily get killed by a deer in a focus- not so much by a Pete!
                    Good point. That's why I taught my kids to slow down and pay attention. That was not one of my better analogies. I drive a F350 Dually to go get groceries LOL.

Comment

Good point. That's why I taught my kids to slow down and pay attention. That was not one of my better analogies. I drive a F350 Dually to go get groceries LOL.

Comment

Growing up I always shot a 243 and my brother had a 22-250 that I really liked. Last season I borrowed a 7mm STW from a relative and just could not get used to the recoil. I think I'll stick with the old standby 30-06.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          I think they both instill “over confidence”, for different reasons. Either way, the cartridge is not to blame.

I despise the 30-30 to this day, though I’ve never owned one. Seemed like when I was a kid, every time we had to go track a deer after dinner, it was shot with a 30-30. Also not likely the cartridges fault….still hate to see one in camp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Funny, my 30-30 is almost the only cartridge I've hunted with in the last 15 years. My kids all grew up hunting with my 30-30. It was the only rifle my father owned and I always had an infatuation with it. He wasn't a big hunter though. I've never had to really track a deer or pig very far that was hit with a lethal shot. Of course pigs always get a head shot so there is that. I've never had to track a deer very far if it was hit in the vitals. Most fall in sight. The one my grandson shot last year was hit in the liver and it just hunched up, walked about 20 yds, laid down in view and expired in about 10 minutes. His liver looked like it exploded when we opened him up. Crazy how everyone has completely different experiences with the same cartridge.
                          As far as the OP goes, shoot what you like and have confidence in. Don't worry about what the other guy does. He's probably doing the same.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Spiritwolftx View Post
                            Growing up I always shot a 243 and my brother had a 22-250 that I really liked. Last season I borrowed a 7mm STW from a relative and just could not get used to the recoil. I think I'll stick with the old standby 30-06.
                            My old CZ 30-06 recoiled harder than my 300 win mag. It was insanity lol

Comment

And whatever it hits is going to have severe trauma.Like even a large hog hit in or around the ear should drop like a rock. I would guess that you are quite proficient with it as well.

I know I am better shooting lighter recoiling guns. That has been my observation at the range as well. YMMV
                              one hog shot in the head with 204 ... the eyes were bulged out like an explosion went off inside .. no exit !

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                                I have a 300wm.
                                but the 300wm would have killed it better ... just saying ! lol

Comment

Working...
                                X