No announcement yet.

Back Ground Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Someone who is better informed than me please comment. As I understand the 4473 is retained by the FFL who sells you a gun. If that gun is ever falls in the hands of the police they take the serial number back to the manufacturer. The manufacturer then tells them they shipped the gun to a FFL dealer. The FFL is then obligated to advise how the gun was disposed, sold, transferred to another dealer, etc. If the 4473 identifies you as the buyer there is a chance they will be knocking on your door.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
      Someone who is better informed than me please comment. As I understand the 4473 is retained by the FFL who sells you a gun. If that gun is ever falls in the hands of the police they take the serial number back to the manufacturer. The manufacturer then tells them they shipped the gun to a FFL dealer. The FFL is then obligated to advise how the gun was disposed, sold, transferred to another dealer, etc. If the 4473 identifies you as the buyer there is a chance they will be knocking on your door.

Sounds about right to me i had the ATF contact me several years ago about a firearm. I had sold it , it made its way to the east coast, and was used in a crime.

Comment

Better gun checks will help us all. BION! Believe it or not..

Comment

Originally posted by "DOC" View Post
          Dealer keeps the 4473 form forever.
          No

Comment

The NICS check is NOT investigating the buyer. Just making sure the buyer is NOT on a list of people who CANNOT purchase a firearm.
            4473's get turned over if dealer goes out of business, a fire in said business or a theft occurs in said business.
            It traces back to the original buyer. ATFE has 90 days to purge info that you requested to buy a firearm. Law.
            Now...do I trust the Govt to do that? A big no.
            With the new ATF boss. Even more so now.

Comment

Originally posted by Oleman View Post
              Better gun checks will help us all. BION! Believe it or not..
              How so?

Comment

Dealers can purge 4473s after 20 years. They don't have to keep them forever. If your license expires you are required to send your log book in to the ATF.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Back Ground Check

Correct. The FFL keeps the 4473 for 20 years unless other circumstances arise. The trail stops at the last time a documented transfer take place.

There’s a reason the current ******* administration wants to do away with private transactions; otherwise falsely know as the gun show loophole. And the reason they want to regulate 80% or otherwise unserialized receivers.

They are a bunch of **** lairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

What happens if an FFL holder dies while the license is active? How would the executor of the estate dispose of any inventory?

Comment

What happens if an FFL holder dies while the license is active? How would the executor of the estate dispose of any inventory?
                      It depends on how their business is structured. LLC, Corp or Sole Proprietor and if they listed any other responsible persons on their ffl.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

I heard it wasn’t registered but they are able to see that you bought a rifle or a pistol

Comment

I’m sure the government gets your info i went to Canada a few years ago and before going over the border I got pulled in for secondary check after a couple hours and questioning one of their officers asked me if I was crossing my g26 I told them I didn’t have my pistol with me and asked how did they know I had that gun the governments work together they said and was further told a g26 is a conceal carry gun which can easy be crossed over.

Comment

As an FFL this is how it works. Texas does not require anything above what the ATF does.

The buyer fills out a 4473(I don't know what the yellow sheets are? 4473s are white).

If you have a CHL, the gun gets transfered. Logged in the book and the 4473 gets filed for 20 years unless I go out of business or a few other circumstances.

If you don't have a chl then a NICS background check is performed. No gun information is provided except for the type of firearms. Long gun, pistol, receiver, etc. Logged in the book and the 4473 gets filed for 20 years unless I go out of business or a few other circumstances.

If you buy two pistols or two semi-automatic rifles within 7 days from the same FFL. Then yes the ATF and the local sheriff gets your name, address, and what guns you buy with serial numbers (they check those serial numbers with a list the manufacturer must give them.)

If the ATF requests a transfer then I provided them with the buyer's info. No contact info though. I've only done half a dozen of those in 6-7 years.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by mmoses; 04-12-2021, 06:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
                              As a FFL this is how it works.

Buyer fills out a 4473(I don't know what the yellow sheets are? 4473s are white).

If you have a chl, gun gets transfer. Logged in book and the 4473 gets filed for 20 years unless I go out of business or a few other circumstances.

If you don't have a chl then a NICS background check is preformed. No gun information is provided except for the type of firearms. Long gun, pistol, receiver, etc. Logged in book and the 4473 gets filed for 20 years unless I go out of business or a few other circumstances.

If you but two pistols or two semi automatic rifles within 7 days from the same FFL. Then yes the ATF and the local sheriff gets your name, address, and what guns you buy with serial numbers (they check those serial numbers with a list the manufacturer must give them.)

If the atf requests a transfer then I provided them with the buyers info. No contact info though. I've only done a half a dozen of those in 6-7 years.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk
                              Does the multiple purchase action take place just the same for the CHL holders as the NICS check buyers?

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                                Does the multiple purchase action take place just the same for the CHL holders as the NICS check buyers?
                                Yes.

There is nothing for the buyer to fill out or sign so the FFL can do it without you knowing.

Comment

Working...
                                X