Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

First crack at estate sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
    $33/gun, really?
    Or you can get 8 of us TBHers to put up $10k each, drive out there, and split them up evenly. He'll get more than some estate type buyer and won't have to mess with it. I'm in.

Comment

I would try to get my hands on that list then search up the guns, you are interested in.

I don't know Tikkas well, only owned one many years ago.
      Remington 700s, I know pretty well, but not an expert by any means. I would prefer to have something made in the 90s or older. I don't want any of the newer guns that have the firing pin lock on the back end of the bolt. I know they started that BS to please the government, sometime in the early 2000s, not sure when. Then the guns made in Kentucky, after they packed up and left New York, don't seem to be made as well, I have heard multiple bad stories, about the Kentucky made guns. There are a lot of nice 700s, but there are so many variations of 700s and so many different calibers.

You should research 700s, to figure out what you like. Are you wanting it for a hunting gun, collector piece, or a bit of both? Most of the older 700s are very accurate, some definitely more accurate than others. The Senderos and then there were some varmint rifles that had all the same features as the Senderos, but chambered only for short action calibers. Those are some very accurate rifles right out of the box, very hard to beat their accuracy for an out of the box rifle. Then any of the 700s with 5R rifling will have the potential to have improved accuracy. Of the Senderos, there are multiple variations. I am just recently learning Reminton did things years ago, with some of the Senderos, that I did not know about.

There are so many different variations of 700s, it would make a long list.

As for lever actions, again, figuring out what you like and why you want one. Do you want a collector gun or a hunting gun or both? Then mainly Winchester and Marlin. I know Winchesters fairly well, again definitely not an expert. Marlins, I know very little about. I was never a Marlin fan, I read JM stamped all the time, don't have a clue, but know it's the thing with Marlins, but I have never bothered to look up the various stampings or anything else on Marlins.

On the Winchesters, if you have any thoughts about collectability you want pre 64, meaning made before 1964. The special editions and commemorative post 64 guns are more for display than anything. The serious collectors really only look for pre 64 guns. But I have to admit, I like some of the post 64 guns, I am a shooter first, collector somewhere down the line. I want a 60s or 70s 94 in 44 Mag. very badly. That would be one of the very few post 64 94s that has some collectable value, beyond what the common 94s go for. They did not make many 94s in 44 Mag. They did make them, but not many. I looked for one for many years, never found one, then in recent years started finding them, found out the periods they made them. So I try to keep my eyes open for one. But to this day, never found one for sale. If you are wanting a shooter primarily, I have to admit Winchester did make 94s in some interesting calibers after 1963. There was the 375 Winchester, 307 Winchester, 356 Winchester, 7X30 Waters. I have always liked the 375 Winchester, really surprised it never became more popular.

The older Winchesters from the 1800s and early 1900s are the ones the collectors really look for. Those guns can get expensive. Again there are so many variations, you really have to research something after you found one, that or do a bunch of reading, figure out what you want to buy, then hunt one down.

Then it sounds like you are definitely wanting a 1911 as a shooter. I would say 70% of the companies that have sold guns in the US, have at one point made some variation of 1911. There are many thousands of different possibilities on 1911s, then there are the custom builds. You would be best to get the list find some 1911s, then research those guns.

Comment

No telling what you may find. Wheel guns lever actions take downs. Great guns they haven't made in years. If you're just wanting a Tokka I can set you up with one of those.

Comment

Originally posted by ACbob View Post
          Be very careful about buying across state lines. Do a quick Google search and you'll find some good information. Be especially wary if you're dealing with Kalifornia.
          I was waiting on someone to say that buying out of state without going through an FFL is illegal. Knock yerself out !

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            I was waiting on someone to say that buying out of state without going through an FFL is illegal. Knock yerself out !
            Me thinks you are wrong. It is legal for a nonresident to buy a long gun but in order to ship a pistol one needs to send it thru a ffl.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
              Me thinks you are wrong. It is legal for a nonresident to buy a long gun but in order to ship a pistol one needs to send it thru a ffl.

Partly true partly false, or you’re just not providing enough info.

Maybe legal for a non resident to buy a long gun from a dealer in another state, however not legal to buy private party if the individuals are not residents of the same state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                Partly true partly false, or you’re just not providing enough info.

Maybe legal for a non resident to buy a long gun from a dealer in another state, however not legal to buy private party if the individuals are not residents of the same state.

Like I said, knock yerself out....

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                  Like I said, knock yerself out....

Yes we saw, anything of value to add?

Comment

To me, well it sounds like a bunch of Negative Nancy's giving advice AGAIN. Heck, looked and some of these people aren't even from this State, some are Yankees and probably voted for the current administration in D.C.

Some of these people are probably jail house lawyers, just like they are FB type wannabe FFL dealers.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
                      To me, well it sounds like a bunch of Negative Nancy's giving advice AGAIN. Heck, looked and some of these people aren't even from this State, some are Yankees and probably voted for the current administration in D.C.

Some of these people are probably jail house lawyers, just like they are FB type wannabe FFL dealers.

*** are you even talking about? I didn’t see anyone being negative. At least the rest of the posts on the thread had something to do with the original question posed, unlike yours.

Also, what difference does it make what state the posters live in? Heck, the guns aren’t even in Texas.

Comment

*** are you even talking about? I didn’t see anyone being negative. At least the rest of the posts on the thread had something to do with the original question posed, unlike yours.

Also, what difference does it make what state the posters live in? Heck, the guns aren’t even in Texas.
                        Okay Nebraska boy.

Again, a lot of advice. Now if you, or anybody would post up their qualifications to answer a question, instead of partly true and so forth, yhen that would be different.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
                        Last edited by DFWPI; 03-13-2021, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Okay Nebraska boy.

Again, a lot of advice. Now if you, or anybody would post up their qualifications to answer a question, instead of partly true and so forth, yhen that would be different.

Why don't you answer it for everyone since you're clearly more knowledgeable on the subject matter? Or maybe get off your self-righteous soapbox and quit adding useless nonsense to the thread.

Was the "Nebraska boy" supposed to somehow be a dig?

Comment

Why don't you answer it for everyone since you're clearly more knowledgeable on the subject matter? Or maybe get off your self-righteous soapbox and quit adding useless nonsense to the thread.

Was the "Nebraska boy" supposed to somehow be a dig?
                            I didn't chime in about what he should do is because, not like some here, I don't know the answer, and to be quite honest, don't really give a crap. He should do what he wants to do, thinks what he wants to do and so forth.

Over the past year, so many "smart people" are giving out free advice about everything from I got a speeding ticket/DWI/Insert other and what should I do, to, "when should I plant the tulips in the horse crap," and like bungholes, everybody has their opinions/answers. And most are incorrect.

And if you will post up the statue where its illegal to purchase from private party, I will read.it and if be, stand corrected.

Comment

I didn't chime in about what he should do is because, not like some here, I don't know the answer, and to be quite honest, don't really give a crap. He should do what he wants to do, thinks what he wants to do and so forth.

Over the past year, so many "smart people" are giving out free advice about everything from I got a speeding ticket/DWI/Insert other and what should I do, to, "when should I plant the tulips in the horse crap," and like bungholes, everybody has their opinions/answers. And most are incorrect.

Well thank god you’re here to shut them all up, not all hero’s wear capes.

You may not realize it but online message forums are occasionally used for more than just selling overpriced .22lr under the guise of cleaning the safe, people often seek and share advice (sometimes it’s even accurate), personal successes, trials and tribulations, etc.

Comment

Well thank god you’re here to shut them all up, not all hero’s wear capes.

You may not realize it but online message forums are occasionally used for more than just selling overpriced .22lr under the guise of cleaning the safe, people often seek and share advice (sometimes it’s even accurate), personal successes, trials and tribulations, etc.

LoL...goid for you cape crusader

Comment

Working...
                                X