The 2021 Thermal and Night Vision Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
    I’ve got a good buddy in Lindale that’s always looking for more dirt to hunt. He runs a PVS-14 and XP50. I can reach out to him and see if he’s interested in another hunting buddy.
    Yea man, that’d be great

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
      Couple of quick coyote kill videos from last night. Using red monochrome on the Thermion.

https://youtu.be/el7MfUEhQ1E
      nice , i like the first video, where you clearly see you're aiming above him at 3.5x to hit ... i see too many videos on youtube where people claim long shots like they're shooting anti gravity guns and you can see the size of the animal and the zoom level on their screen .... they usually can't even answer what their hold over at any range is or even laser their target to even know how far the target is ... oh but it was 373 yards ... and i dropped him with one shot ... yeah ok!

that was a legit shot with legit hold over ! i like it!

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
        Couple of quick coyote kill videos from last night. Using red monochrome on the Thermion.

https://youtu.be/el7MfUEhQ1E
        I haven’t even messed with the red monochome display on mine. I may have to give it a try. Seems like it’ll be a little easier on your NV when bringing your head back up. Good shooting.

I notice some other people are still butthurt in here

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
          Yea man, that’d be great
          I’ll reach out to him and see what he says. He’s single, and tries to get out a few times a week even if only a couple short stands at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
            nice , i like the first video, where you clearly see you're aiming above him at 3.5x to hit ... i see too many videos on youtube where people claim long shots like they're shooting anti gravity guns and you can see the size of the animal and the zoom level on their screen .... they usually can't even answer what their hold over at any range is or even laser their target to even know how far the target is ... oh but it was 373 yards ... and i dropped him with one shot ... yeah ok!

that was a legit shot with legit hold over ! i like it!
            Thanks! IDK how far he was, guessing about 250 (a long ways for me on a coyote with that Grendel AR). Shooting a 6.5 Grendel with 95 VMAX, zeroed at 200, so 250 would be about right for a solid hit with that holdover. I use the FI51-300 reticle, and have it calibrated to use judging range. The bars in it equate to 135, 200, and 300 yards for the 9" body depth of a coyote. I didn't really have time to gage him, just thought "Over 2 and under 3, hold his back and send it." May have been more lucky than good.

We were driving looking for pigs using my Hogster 35R in a remote roof mount on the top of the truck, streaming the feed to a monitor on my dash. A good part of the time I was driving blacked out and we drive up on quite a few coyotes that way.

TX03RUBI- The red monochrome gives up some range and clarity to white hot on long range ID IMO, but not too bad. I really like though how much easier it is on your eyes and night vision. Much better coming on and off the gun stalking. Plus I think it looks really cool. On something big and hot like pigs it doesn't really give up anything at all as far as shooting. I can shoot pigs just as far, I run out of ability way before the color palette limits me. The hardest part is getting a reticle color that really works with it. Surprisingly the blue is pretty good. The blue shows up good on the darker red, and when you get on the bright yellow hot spots it goes black, leaving a nice fine aimpoint.
            Last edited by Jethro; 03-12-2021, 01:24 PM.

Comment

long time ago i had the itch for a silencerco Radius for that exact reason .. cause they're discontinued now and impossible to find .. not to mention expensive

Comment

Originally posted by rossivey View Post
                Just ordered the 2x Wraith to replace my 4x. Anybody need a NV scope? Gonna put the 4x in the classifieds
                Why are you buying nv when you have a new xq38?

Comment

Originally posted by .243 WSSM View Post
                  Why are you buying nv when you have a new xq38?
                  So two people can hunt

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

So two people can hunt

It’s 10X more fun when you have someone beside you

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post

It’s 10X more fun when you have someone beside you
                      Yes it is.
                      I quit going of hunting cause I can't seem to find a hunting partner

Comment

Anybody running the Iray Rico MK1?

Comment

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXo-OgQc-Xk"]March 15 Hog - YouTube[/ame]
                          Pretty productive evening hunt!
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8815.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	24646115

Name:	IMG_8819.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	152.3 KB
ID:	24646116

Name:	IMG_8822.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	24646117

Comment

Originally posted by sharkhunter View Post
                            I have the 66LRX coming to mount under the fore stock of my Ruger varmit special. Will the light mount that comes with the Wraith HD 2 - 16 x 28 work with that light when mounting under the fore stock ?
                            The light mount that comes with the wraith will not work with the 66LRX because it has too small of an opening.

Comment

So two people can hunt

Ah, gotcha. I thought you were going to be switching back n forth between the two and figured the nv would sit at home when you had a choice of that or thermal. Are you seeing many hogs around your place? We are closer to hg and the helicopter hunters have about cleaned them all out for the time being

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
                                100% agree. My buddy offered him $800. He wanted $1500 but he won't get that.

FLIR sucks
                                I think he will get between $800 and $1200. The longer he waits the worse it is going to get once manfucturers catch up with demand and when new scopes come out. The only card he has to play right now is that whoever wants it can get it right now vs waiting months for a new scope. I hope he gets what he is asking for but he would have to find the right person that loves that particular scope or someone that doesnt know better.

Comment

Working...
                                X