Which .17 hmr?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which .17 hmr?

I was at my favorite candy store today to see what inventory if any they have received. They had some .17 hmr ammo on the shelf, looks like a pretty neat little round. I have never paid much attention to these before. How far are these accurate too? What brand/model is good for these? How does it compare to a .22 mag? Seems a good hog in the ear hole round, I know my .22 mag serves well.

Out perform a .22 mag. I prefer CCI TNT’s in 20gr. I can accurately shoot to 300 yds as long as the wind isn’t too bad. The savage 93’s w/ accutriggers are IMO the best rifles out there.

Comment

What he said. I quit shooting my .22 mag when I got the .17

Comment

CZ 457 Varmint are fantastic rifles. Great little round that I thoroughly enjoy shooting. I’ve taken a few hogs and coyotes with them, but I mainly stick to rabbits and coons.

Comment

Picked my son up a 93r17 gv fat barrel with walnut stock for Christmas. Iv popped a few rounds just to make sure it was good before Santa delivers it. I cant wait to help him shoot it some more lol.

Comment

I have one in a Henery lever action and it shoots better than me

Comment

I have a Savage B17 and I really like it.

Comment

Inherently super accurate round, regardless of the rifle. $150 rifles are just as accurate as $2000 rifles. I’ve killed a jackrabbit at 225+ yds.

Comment

I have shot a few prairie dogs out to 300 yards with my .17hmr

Took a few adjustment shots but after about 3 or 4 shots I nailed em.

I shoot a savage .17hmr

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Absolutely love my savage 93r17. Heavy barrel, wood stock, Straight out the gate needs nothing. I'm still shooting mine with the cheap factory weaver scope because it shoots so well. Probably upgrade to a 4x12 if I ever have an issue.

Stacks 17 grain CCI TNT on top of each other at 100. Killed everything from squirrels to coyotes, pigs with it. Shooting squirrels in the head at 50+ yards is so satisfying!

Absolutely my favorite gun to shoot.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

The little .17’s have there place. They shoot fairly flat out to about 120 yards and then gravity starts to takes over. The wind is the worst enemy with those light bullets. Depending on your target a .22 Mag might be a better choice as it available in bullets that penetrate better.

Have a couple Anschutz’s and Cooper’s in 17 HMR. Those are built nicely, are beautiful and are great shooters. They will be passed down to my girls.

The Ruger M77/17 and New England SS I have are ok shooters too just a bit rough around the edges.

Comment

I LOVE my Savage .17. Super accurate & fun to shoot. Great for anything from squirrels & rabbits, to varmints & hogs. I recently shot a bobcat in the face at 190 yards. My favorite gun to pack around the ranch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HunterU View Post
                          I have shot a few prairie dogs out to 300 yards with my .17hmr

Took a few adjustment shots but after about 3 or 4 shots I nailed em.

I shoot a savage .17hmr

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Exact same gun I have, but with a silver Nikon. Love it.

Comment

Which .17 hmr?

The Savage 9317 is a very good rifle and I have never seen one that didn’t shoot at least one of the common loads very well. That being said, the Tikka T1x is where it’s at.

Comment

My CZ 457 shoots one ragged hole at 100 all day long....my 22 mag gets neglected these days

Comment

Working...
                              X