Rifle Purchase Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by canny View Post
    Don’t really know what your application is so I’m just thinking all purpose...

Tikka hands down out of the 3. Personally I like the 7-08 over the 6.5CM due to heavier weights available making the 7-08 more multipurpose. I would take advantage of your LE connects and go with a Trijicon Accupower 4-16. Should all fit in your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m no huge fan of the Creedmore but in factory configuration both it and 7-08 focus on 140g projectiles and the 6.5 has better BC and greater SD

Comment

Folks will tell you a 6.5 will work for elk and I’m sure it will. But the 7mm-08 can sling 160s where the 6.5 is limited to the 140s in hunting bullets.

I don’t know of a factory rifle that will stability a 160

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
        I don’t know of a factory rifle that will stability a 160

My wife’s Camilla will

Comment

Folks will tell you a 6.5 will work for elk and I’m sure it will. But the 7mm-08 can sling 160s where the 6.5 is limited to the 140s in hunting bullets.

If the 7-08 can shoot 160s then so can the 260 or 6.5CM. They are all similar in case capacity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
            Gonna say, I can hit 2300 with just an action and barrel without even getting it chambered if I'm going over the top.

Yes, easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
              If the 7-08 can shoot 160s then so can the 260 or 6.5CM. They are all similar in case capacity.

Yes they can, but the bullet profiles of the 6.5 are much longer and can pose some issues in SA magazines unless you seat them deeper into the case. The profile of a .284 160 allows for a little more play with seating depth without naming the bullet deep into the case and still allowing it to feed reliably from a SA magazine.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                I’m no huge fan of the Creedmore but in factory configuration both it and 7-08 focus on 140g projectiles and the 6.5 has better BC and greater SD

There are quite a few factory options in 7mm-08 150g and a few in 160g where as the 6.5CM in very limited in factory options over 143g.

From the most recent Hornady book:

7mm-08 150 ELDX 24” barrel
                Max load velocity of 2800 FPS
                G1 BC .574
                500yd drop -50.78” with 100yd zero

6.5CM 147 ELDM 24” Barrel
                Max load velocity of 2650 FPS
                G1 BC .687
                500yd drop -57.79

This is the closest apples to apples comparison for the heavier end of the 6.5CM. If you just stick with 120s then the 6.5CM is a better choice, but when you up the ante in weights to the top end, the 7mm-08 takes the 6.5CM. Some of that is due to how deep the heavier bullets are seated in the 6.5CM. There is .001” difference in neck length between each one so when you stick a heavy 6.5mm bullet in there it has to seat further in the case. When the bullets are seated past the neck/shoulder junction the combustion actually allows for gas to leak out beside the bullet as it’s exiting the case and entering the rifling. That gas leak causes a loss in potential velocity.

Comment

You won’t be disappointed with the Tikka

Comment

You can do a very basic custom build for around $1500 if you do your homework and get some good deals on parts.

Here is an example.

Rem 700 action $300
                    Pac Nor barrel $300
                    Fitting and Chambering PAC-NOR Barrel to Your Action (Includes Lapping and Truing of Action) $300
                    Timney Trigger $150
                    Stock $250
                    Bottom Metal $150

Comment

I'm all about good stuff, but I tell you what, I picked up a Savage Axis II 6.5CM and it's a sweet shooting rifle that feels great. I only spent about $450 total and it's my favorite rifle to shoot right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
                        I'm all about good stuff, but I tell you what, I picked up a Savage Axis II 6.5CM and it's a sweet shooting rifle that feels great. I only spent about $450 total and it's my favorite rifle to shoot right now.
                        Funny you post this, I bought a TC Compass for $169 after rebate and stacks dimes. Did a little trigger work and I love the thing!

Comment

Tikka. I have two, a CTR and a T3X. I have several friends and family that bought them after I got my first one five years ago. They all shoot fantastic. I bought my stepson one for his 30th BD, he's lefty so I ordered it. The T3X will be under budget so you can top it with a Leupold VX5HD. The CTR is more $, but it has a heavier barrel, a 10 rd metal mag. and a rail. On either, the triggers are easily adjusted and are the best factory trigger out there, IMO. On my T3X, I put it on a Bell & Carlson Medalist Stock and changed the bottom plastic to metal. It's light and a really nice whitetail set up and with those mod's it's right at our budget.

Comment

So I went to pick up a Tikka but after much discussion about the T3X Varmint, it was found out that you can not get the rifle in the US. It is on their website, but not available here, and I was not going to the UK to pick it up. At that point we started looking at other options. I have shot the Savage and was comfortable with it. I asked if I could handle a Savage and while grabbing one, they happened to have a LH 6.5 on the shelf in the back. Just over 600 bucks and walked out of the shop. Now I have a lot more money to spend on glass. I am happy with it and ready to send some lead downrange. Thanks for all of your information and help.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
                              I just cant bring myself to buy one of them, even when they shoot well. Im looking at a 22-250 on gunbroker, but keep pointing myself back to a model 10.

Comment

Working...
                              X