No announcement yet.

Rifle Purchase Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don’t really know what your application is so I’m just thinking all purpose...

Tikka hands down out of the 3. Personally I like the 7-08 over the 6.5CM due to heavier weights available making the 7-08 more multipurpose. I would take advantage of your LE connects and go with a Trijicon Accupower 4-16. Should all fit in your budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
      Don’t really know what your application is so I’m just thinking all purpose...

Tikka hands down out of the 3. Personally I like the 7-08 over the 6.5CM due to heavier weights available making the 7-08 more multipurpose. I would take advantage of your LE connects and go with a Trijicon Accupower 4-16. Should all fit in your budget.

Its absolutely all purpose. I will hunt whitetail and hogs mostly, with a possible trip here or there for mule deer or an elk. As far as range, I have a place that can stretch out to 900 or so easily. I like the Tikka, they just don't show many models on their website that are LH.

Comment

Originally posted by Blane View Post
        As far as the custom rifle goes, I was talking to one of my buddies who is a gun nut and said that Jigsaw out of Giddings recently had one completely over the top for 2300. He was figuring a lot could have been shaved off that price and get one for closer to 1300 to 1400. May be off. I was going to talk to them and see.
        What’s over the top on a $2300 build? Parts are expensive. Idk how they’d do that without cutting some serious corners in quality.

Lots of production rifles are great guns. All have their downsides. But 90% of productions guns will shoot 1 moa or less. Figure out a list of wants and needs and start narrowing it down. I’m not far from you and can certainly help answer questions on the custom end as well as production guns and if time allows, can let you test run some custom rigs.

Comment

There's a grown man rifle in the classifieds with a scope ready to rock.

edit: ignore me. I completely missed left handed part. 6.5 i just ignored

Comment

Bergara Ridge or B-14

Comment

I have a left handed tikka in 30.06 in the classifieds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Blane View Post
                Its absolutely all purpose. I will hunt whitetail and hogs mostly, with a possible trip here or there for mule deer or an elk. As far as range, I have a place that can stretch out to 900 or so easily. I like the Tikka, they just don't show many models on their website that are LH.

Folks will tell you a 6.5 will work for elk and I’m sure it will. But the 7mm-08 can sling 160s where the 6.5 is limited to the 140s in hunting bullets.

Comment

Remington 700 5R gen 2 ..
                  Leupold Vari-x III 4.5 -14 x 50MM
                  Never look back...
                  Last edited by BigOh!; 09-28-2020, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Out of the choices you listed I would go with the Savage or the Tikka. Vortex will give you 50 off so go with the highest end you can afford with that discount. Also get their rings for the same discount.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                      What’s over the top on a $2300 build? Parts are expensive. Idk how they’d do that without cutting some serious corners in quality.

Lots of production rifles are great guns. All have their downsides. But 90% of productions guns will shoot 1 moa or less. Figure out a list of wants and needs and start narrowing it down. I’m not far from you and can certainly help answer questions on the custom end as well as production guns and if time allows, can let you test run some custom rigs.
                      Gonna say, I can hit 2300 with just an action and barrel without even getting it chambered if I'm going over the top.

Comment

I got the hells canyon and topped it with a vx5HD Leupold. Very happy with it so far.

Comment

Bergara or a cheap old Savage, Leupold or Vortex glass

Comment

Tikka and the Trijicon

Comment

Tikka and a XTR 2

Comment

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
                                Bergara
                                I won’t recommend the Vortex but definitely don’t discount a Bergara. I highly doubt you’d be disappointed.

Comment

Working...
                                X