No announcement yet.

270 Winchester vs 6.5CM vs 6.5 PRC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marketing and manufacturing at its finest.

When the creed was introduced the rifles were 1:8 twist which is optimal for 130-140 grain bullets. The best long range ballistics come from the heaviest for caliber bullets available. So the light recoiling rifle with the 8 twist barrel and 140 grain factory competition loads made everyone an instant sniper in their own minds.

So now we look back at some past factory rifles;
    243 win most have 1:9 twist optimized for 100 grain bullets--->115 grain now available wont stabilize
    270 win optimized for 130-140 grain bullets with 1:10 twist---> 170 grain bullets now available wont stabilize. (170 grain BC 3rd highest behind 7mm 195 grain and 338 cal
    7mm mag 1:9.5 twist optimized for 150-165 grain. ---> 195 grain available wont stabilize

308-300 win mag 1:10 twist optimized for 180 grain bullets. 308 kicks like a mule with 180's in a light rifle so most hunters pick up 150 grain soft points for hunting.

So to get optimal long range ballistics with the heavy for caliber bullets available you pretty much are stuck with 6.5creed/prc/26 Nosler, 308 win or 300 win mag. Otherwise you are getting a custom barrel added or a custom gun made and reloading. Heavier and longer the bullet the more energy and less wind drift at long range. Most not noticable until beyond 600 yards.

Besides everyone wants another rifle even if their old trusty hand me down has never let them down.

Comment

Originally posted by trophyhunter01 View Post
      Per the 2019 comparison in Field and Stream of 6.5 creed to 308 you can find online at 500 yards:
      6.5 with 135 grain bullet drop is 56.88 inches
      308 with 168 grain bullet drop is 60.53

I feel that is close enough that if you are dialing that much dope what is a few more clicks. No I don’t shoot that far hunting situations and would not with a poor rest or position. The heavier round may buck the wind better as well.

Just an opinion with some fact.
      I agree the creed and .308 are close, I was comparing PRC to .308.

Comment

Originally posted by JLivi1224 View Post
        Ok bud some of that is true but don’t limit the 308 to 250 yards.
        I get it. That is not a far shot at all. My point is this; around the campfire 300-500 with pencil barreled hunting rifles and factory ammo is no biggie. That is a joke and just not realistic.

Yes, those shots are absolutely doable, but not with a 500 dollar rifle and a 3-9 leupold.

Comment

I think I would go with the.270 just because I like the cartridge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have been working on some hand loads for my 270 wby. Picked up some 129 gr. Long Range X-bullets for it, and was getting velocities at 3550 FPS with my chronograph. I am not a long range shooter, but I do like to be able to kill something out to 400 yards without having to mess with my scope, and with this load I can do that pretty easily. It is a fast shooting, flat cartridge. At 2.5" high at 100 yards, I am dead on a 325 yards.

All that said, if you are looking for something to reach out with this size bullet, you might also consider the .270 WBY

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
              I get it. That is not a far shot at all. My point is this; around the campfire 300-500 with pencil barreled hunting rifles and factory ammo is no biggie. That is a joke and just not realistic.

Yes, those shots are absolutely doable, but not with a 500 dollar rifle and a 3-9 leupold.

You have to buy a fancy rifle and Austrian glass to make a 300 yard shot?
              um.... OK.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                You have to buy a fancy rifle and Austrian glass to make a 300 yard shot?
                um.... OK.
                You always have a dissenting view, must be a blast to hang out with. I said 'pencil barreled hunting rifle, with factory ammo and a 3-9 - If those are your qualifications for 'fancy rifle' and 'Austrian glass' then ok, noted.

Yes, shooting at a game animal 300 yards away should not be taken without consideration. Take that pencil barreled hunting rifle to any range and I doubt you would qualify to shoot any further. I have seen the targets to prove what I have said, and I stand by it. Besides that fact, I can name how many people on my lease shoot to 300/600 regularly. It has been a similar situation on most leases I have been on. Anyone shooting those distances regularly are not using a cheap setup. Obviously they do not have to have the best of the best, but some though has been put into it besides 'yes, please mount my scope' to the Academy gun counter personnel.

Instead of trying to get in a quick hit cheap shot, why don't you enlighten us with your vast knowledge? This is the internet, we are all experts!

Comment

Originally posted by texas shag View Post
                  I have been working on some hand loads for my 270 wby. Picked up some 129 gr. Long Range X-bullets for it, and was getting velocities at 3550 FPS with my chronograph. I am not a long range shooter, but I do like to be able to kill something out to 400 yards without having to mess with my scope, and with this load I can do that pretty easily. It is a fast shooting, flat cartridge. At 2.5" high at 100 yards, I am dead on a 325 yards.

All that said, if you are looking for something to reach out with this size bullet, you might also consider the .270 WBY
                  That is sizzling! Man, I bet that setup is fun to shoot!

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                    I would like to know what some of y'all consider as an advantage to one of these calibers if you have a max range of 600 yards. I think 600 yards is a good maximum range for most hunting shots and thought, what is the advantage over a 270?

A short action? What do I gain with that?

Better B.C.? At 600 yards what do I gain with that?

Over the counter access to ammo? 270? 6.5CM? I doubt the PRC does.

Recoil? Looking at felt recoil data charts does not reveal any huge amount among them.

Heck, one could replace the 270 with a 308 and what would the advantage be then?

Here is some ballistics for you with 130 gr bullets in a PRC compared to 270 with 150 gr Long Range Accubond bullets. Of course the 270 will have more foot pounds of energy because of the heavier bullet.

6.5 PRC / 130g Scirocco II @ 3050fps
                    600yds = -46.6" Drop, 2331fps, 1568fpe, 14.9" drift

.270 Win / 150g Long Range AB @ 2940fps
                    600yds = -50.2" Drop, 2294fps, 1753fpe, 14.3" drift

Not a pizzing contest here just an asking contest. By the way I am not a fanboy of 270 or any other caliber, I have 33 rifles in 33 different calibers and reload for all of them. I might be getting too old and not buying in to the greatest caliber fad anymore.
                    There are some advantages and disadvantages to each, but they will all do the job.

When comparing different calibers, try to look at bullets with similar sectional densities to compare across grain weights. Comparing a 150 grain .270 to a 130 grn 6.5 round is apples and oranges.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                      When comparing different calibers, try to look at bullets with similar sectional densities to compare across grain weights. Comparing a 150 grain .270 to a 130 grn 6.5 round is apples and oranges.
                      Not a bad point, but 6.5s are used because of the manufacturer support for high SD bullets, so there are more of them with more rifles with adequate twist to shoot them. Not so for the .270 unless you go with a custom barrel and your bullet selection is going to be limited.

Comment

You always have a dissenting view, must be a blast to hang out with. I said 'pencil barreled hunting rifle, with factory ammo and a 3-9 - If those are your qualifications for 'fancy rifle' and 'Austrian glass' then ok, noted.

Yes, shooting at a game animal 300 yards away should not be taken without consideration. Take that pencil barreled hunting rifle to any range and I doubt you would qualify to shoot any further. I have seen the targets to prove what I have said, and I stand by it. Besides that fact, I can name how many people on my lease shoot to 300/600 regularly. It has been a similar situation on most leases I have been on. Anyone shooting those distances regularly are not using a cheap setup. Obviously they do not have to have the best of the best, but some though has been put into it besides 'yes, please mount my scope' to the Academy gun counter personnel.

Instead of trying to get in a quick hit cheap shot, why don't you enlighten us with your vast knowledge? This is the internet, we are all experts!
                        People come to these forums for good information and a lot of BS is slung about. Is it popular to point out bogus info? Nope, but I’m not in a popularity contest. Could I be a better forum contributor? Sure— and I aim for that every day.
                        Fact is a $500 Savage Axis and $200 Nikon are perfectly capable of consistently hitting targets at those ranges.
                        For anyone who shoots with any regularity 300 yards with a modern rifle off a solid rest is not challenging.
                        Access to longer ranges comes with money which begets nice equipment, but it’s practice, not dollars that make a capable shooter.

Comment

270 Winchester vs 6.5CM vs 6.5 PRC

You always have a dissenting view, must be a blast to hang out with.

I do tend to play the devil’s advocate— it’s one of my nasty habits.
                          I do try to offer good info where I can, but I don’t know as much on nearly as many topics as some of y’all!

Comment

My wife brought two girls to the ranch that had never shot a gun before in their life. They wanted to try a couple of shots.

They shot my deer rifle with the ballistic reticle and Hornady American Whitetail. I told them what dot to put on the 400 yard steel plate and neither of those girls missed the plate once out of about 10 shots.

We also rang a 12 inch plate at 560 yards (farthest my range goes) with a 16 inch barrel AR truck gun that had never been cleaned after at least 2000 rounds topped with $100 glass.

Y’all are making this too difficult I guess. Ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have never owned a .270. It was just kinda a in between round as I had .243, 25/06, .308, 7 mag and 30/06.
                              I have no doubt any of the 3 rounds would work fine for hunting but then again I am not likely to ever shoot over 200 yards.
                              I did kill a mule deer mountain to mountain with a 300 RUM but it is not something I expect to do often.
                              I would bet you will enjoy any of the 3
                              90% of my gun hunting is done with a 38/55

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                                Fact is a $500 Savage Axis and $200 Nikon are perfectly capable of consistently hitting targets at those ranges.

For anyone who shoots with any regularity 300 yards with a modern rifle off a solid rest is not challenging.
                                ..., but it’s practice, not dollars that make a capable shooter.
                                We have found common ground! This is all true, and I agree completely. Shooting at a game animal 300 yards away from a deer stand is not the same thing is a bench, or proned out, at the 300 yard line.

Comment

Working...
                                X