No announcement yet.

270 Winchester vs 6.5CM vs 6.5 PRC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

600 yards max throw a 308 in there and all are so close doubt you would notice much difference in the end result.

Comment

Originally posted by trophyhunter01 View Post
      600 yards max throw a 308 in there and all are so close doubt you would notice much difference in the end result.
      What? 600 yards it not a 'chip shot' you guys throwing around creedmoor and .308 with a PRC are lost. At 600 yards you will dial around 10 MOA with a 6.5 PRC. The same with a .308 is about 18 MOA. IT is not even in the ballpark.

I know the campfire stories of 800 yards shots with a .308. It is nonsense. Unless you have specific dope and range with your rifle you are not shooting more than 250 with 'grandpas' .308.

I shot an Axis two weeks ago 320 yards, I dialed 3 moa and still felt it was low. People throw numbers around like they have no meaning, 600 yards for a .308 is hard to do. For that round it is not ethical, and just hard to do.

Comment

I have several .270s and I am a huge fan of the .270. This year I got a 6.5 Creedmoor and I really like it too. I do not have a PRC and probably won't have one.

Short action vs long action, not a big deal to me. If I was building an ultralight rifle, yeah, I'd want a short action. Beyond that on average weight rifles it makes me no difference.

Recoil is IMO quite a bit lighter with the Creedmoor. My .270's recoil substantially harder. I would guess that the PRC and .270 would be similar there. But the Creedmoor is quite a bit less.

If you were to put together a fast twist .270 and loaded high BC bullets for it, it would do everything the 6.5s would do plus some. But, high BC bullet options aren't near as numerous for the .277 as the .264. You'd have to build a rifle or rebarrel a rifle to get the right twist rate and you'd have to handload. In the 6.5s you can buy what you need off the shelf.

If you got the BC and velocities the same the .277 would give you the edge on bigger critters with it's heavier bullets and bigger diameter.

Comment

Get a custom 6.5-06 and gave the best of both worlds!!

Comment

6.5-06 were real popular builds in area of AZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
              Well buying copper creek ammo for the PRC will get the following options. I have some of their ammo for my SAUM and it has been very close

140gr Accubond - 3000fps
              147gr ELDM - 2980fps
              153gr ETip - 2960fps
              156gr Berger- 2870fps

The .270 has one advantage only. Over the counter ammo
              One more would be If you'r reloader fired brass is easy to find..at ranges I frequent....

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                What? 600 yards it not a 'chip shot' you guys throwing around creedmoor and .308 with a PRC are lost. At 600 yards you will dial around 10 MOA with a 6.5 PRC. The same with a .308 is about 18 MOA. IT is not even in the ballpark.

I know the campfire stories of 800 yards shots with a .308. It is nonsense. Unless you have specific dope and range with your rifle you are not shooting more than 250 with 'grandpas' .308.

I shot an Axis two weeks ago 320 yards, I dialed 3 moa and still felt it was low. People throw numbers around like they have no meaning, 600 yards for a .308 is hard to do. For that round it is not ethical, and just hard to do.
                Ok bud some of that is true but don’t limit the 308 to 250 yards.

Comment

My thoughts are that at least 95% of hunters have no business taking a shot with any caliber at 600 yds. I am one of the 95%. (this number may be low)
                  If you do your homework, and practice, and have the proper "dope" info, all 3 will get the job done at 600 yds. Even the .308.
                  Doesn't really matter if one has less or more drop than the other, if you are prepared.
                  Now, move it to 1000 yds, and you have a different argument. The drop numbers and drift are way larger there, and this is the area that the 6.5 cr. was designed for.
                  I recently picked up a 6.5 cr. and have only played with it at 100 yds, and if I wanted to take it to 600, I would hope I could see my bullets impact so I could walk it in.
                  My take from posts on this and other forums, the best long range bullets in 6.5 have questionable performance at the range most of us hunt at (close). When I hunt with my 6.5 creed, I will most likely use 125 gr. partitions to get the speed up so the partition can do its job at the ranges I hunt at. That is if they work in my rifle.
                  Discussing calibers and their performance is fun, I just don't see why people get their dander up when someone says something that doesn't put their choice at the top.

If you decide to hunt at long range, get the best bullets for your caliber, test and practice at the ranges you intend to hunt at, and only hunt when you are proficient at those ranges. I have 3 rifles that could do 600 yds, but their operator aint nowhere near ready.

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                    One more would be If you'r reloader fired brass is easy to find..at ranges I frequent....
                    Not an advantage to me but I guess some might like it.

No mix matched brass for me

Comment

Your initial comparison shows two drasticly different bullets. I think if you compared two very similar bullets say 130s of the same bullet the comparison between the 270 and prc would be closer at 600. Of course the creed would lag behind by a bit and imo is really stepping it out there to kill with.

Since you reload, i feel the prc and creed are much friendly to reload and both will have a far greater bullet selection thanks to the popularity of the 65 in general.

Here's a side by side comparison of the 270 and prc both at 3000 with 130 vld's. You be the judge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191207-103222.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	24600873Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191207-103210.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	24600874

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                        Your initial comparison shows two drasticly different bullets. I think if you compared two very similar bullets say 130s of the same bullet the comparison between the 270 and prc would be closer at 600. Of course the creed would lag behind by a bit and imo is really stepping it out there to kill with.

Since you reload, i feel the prc and creed are much friendly to reload and both will have a far greater bullet selection thanks to the popularity of the 65 in general.

Here's a side by side comparison of the 270 and prc both at 3000 with 130 vld's. You be the judge.

[ATTACH]983079[/ATTACH][ATTACH]983080[/ATTACH]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
                        This really means nothing either, do the same calculation with bullets of similar BC. Look at something like Hornady's ELDX and see how they turn out. I bet they are fairly close. Hornady's chart only goes to 500 but shows the 270 and 6.5prc to be within an inch, with the cm about 7 inches off

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post

Per the 2019 comparison in Field and Stream of 6.5 creed to 308 you can find online at 500 yards:
                          6.5 with 135 grain bullet drop is 56.88 inches
                          308 with 168 grain bullet drop is 60.53

I feel that is close enough that if you are dialing that much dope what is a few more clicks. No I don’t shoot that far hunting situations and would not with a poor rest or position. The heavier round may buck the wind better as well.

Just an opinion with some fact.

Comment

Here's an interesting data table I found a couple of months ago. Cannot remember the source.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I love my 25-06. Hoping to get off work soon so I can pick up a 6.5 prc that APR has. Been doing a ton of research on the PRC and it is a bad mofo. There is a lot of Ammo out there for it on line.

Comment

Years ago reading all the gunmag gurus articles convinced me a 26" heavy bbl was the way to go for accuracy. Also the faster a round was the better it performed. I have learned big ole heavy long bbls ain't the answer as to accuracy for the distances most people shoot. Also learned that the faster a round is the sooner you know you missed. Shoot what you personally shoot the best and go from there.

Comment

Working...
                                X