Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Good whitetail/hog round

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7mm08 would be a good option.

Comment

Theres quite a space between 7.62x39 and 308 win.. 243 and or Rem 260 would be a great choice and share basic same case as 308..and reduce recoil due to lighter bullet...Thing about 243 is its really popular and ammo is readily available almost every store..And you will not be under gunned

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
        6.8SPC for hogs, deer, yotes, coons, rats(2 and 4 legged varieties) and everything in between.

Comment

My favorite, .223

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Bolt action. Guys this a lot to digest thanks

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by scarecrow View Post
                GS gurus would you consider 7.62x39 a good whitetail round? I’m used taking deer with a .280 150 gr core lokt. They don’t take a second step. But I’m getting older and it delivers quit a shoulder thump. Thinking of trying a .308 or 7.62x39. Thanks for your opinions
                6.5 Grendel in an AR-15

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
                  Love my 243 for an all gun for texas.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
                  Yep

Comment

Originally posted by cva34 View Post
                    Theres quite a space between 7.62x39 and 308 win.. 243 and or Rem 260 would be a great choice and share basic same case as 308..and reduce recoil due to lighter bullet...Thing about 243 is its really popular and ammo is readily available almost every store..And you will not be under gunned

What do you consider under gunned?
                    As long as you can place your shot, caliber is a moot point.
                    There are more elk poached in the western states with a 22 mag than any other round. That’s straight from the tribal police on the White Mountain Apache reservation.

Comment

What is 6.8 Spc?

Comment

6.5 Grendel

Comment

I’ve killed piles of hogs with my 7.62 x 39 in the last year.....but I’d much rather hunt deer with a 308. What brings it down to those 2 choices? If you already have those 2 calibers I’d choose 308. If your wanting something with less recoil and open to other calibers I’d look at the 6.5 creed or 7/08

Comment

There are lots of good options with much less recoil than a 308. My vote would be 7mm-08 or a 6.5CM. The creedmoor ammo is as easy to find as 30-06 these days.

Comment

308 will take down anything you want. As stated above shot placement is everything. I shoot a savage 111 trophy hunter in 308 and haven't lost a deer or hog yet. All deer except for 2 have been drt. 2 that weren't went 40yds. Hogs all dropped in there tracks. Shooting the Hornady whitetail 150gr interloks. Does a great job and recoil is not bad. Personal preferance

Comment

Another vote for 7-08. Basically a necked down .308 or necked up .243. Mild recoil as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X