Who else isn’t a fan of a .300blk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
    get you a 458 Socom upper and be done with that walking away nonsense,,, and i have heard of way to many 300 blackout walk away's to ever want one

Thought about buying a semi auto 12 guage with slugs or buck for 25 yard shots...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DWA View Post
      If your ar doesnt shoot like a quality bolt gun you have a semi automatic ****. Alot of the time people will spend a grand on an ar then buy bulk FMJ ammo to hunt with. Makes no sense to me. In this case I've had 300s in bolt and ARs. shot deer and hogs. Subsonics are NOT as reliable killers as normal velocity ammo. You can kill them sure. Why would you use inferior ammunition if you want to put a hand on everything you shot? I eventually got away from the blackout and went 6.5 grendel and have had better results.

Shot everything from cheap academy bullets to the hornady subs. Just because some ammo is cheap doesn’t mean it’s not worthy of using. I found cheap ammo that my .223 likes and shoots well and I’ve stuck with it. 7.99 for 20 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
        Don't know anymore than what you've told us, never even seen a .300, but from my experience it's either poor performance by the operator or the gun itself, only tried 2 AR style rifles (not .300) but the best I ever seen from them were 3" groups at 100 yds, that not conducive to the precision you need to be using a lower power load, but you can't really blame the low power performance,to many people out there killing the heck out of pigs with rim fires. You even said the ear holed pigs were drt, you didn't say where the others were believed to be hit.
        Should have quoted this post since this already on page 2. Those ARs were T U R D S or they shot just whatever was the cheapest and didnt care about accuracy. I like cheap ammo too but it better shoot really good.
        300 bo sucks
        Last edited by DWA; 10-16-2019, 06:25 PM.

Comment

I’m kinda surprised at all the folks who have had bad experiences.

There is a bunch of data on what does and doesn’t work.

I built mine several years ago (March of 2013). It is my go-to rifle. I can’t begin to put a number to the piles of pigs, raccoons, and predators that it has rolled.

Anywhere from 2 yards, to my longest kill shot of 310.

I shoot the 110gn TAC-TX exclusively for hunting. I will load up some Nosler 125 for plinking. It prints sub MOA all day long, supressed, and not. I like my suppressor, since I don’t have to carry hearing protection when I go sit.

I have not messed with any subsonic loads yet. Still happy with how it’s doing.

I believe that a lot of the issues are from how they are built. I drilled out my gas port on my barrel to .125”, it is a carbine length gas system. To trick the buffer into having the right time, I cut a dowel, and put into my buffer tube, this allowed me to keep a rifle length stock. My buddy and I built identical rifles (the same night, at the same time in his garage), we just installed different furniture. He shoots both supers and subs, and has never had any issues.

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by tex4k View Post
            Don't know anymore than what you've told us, never even seen a .300, but from my experience it's either poor performance by the operator or the gun itself, only tried 2 AR style rifles (not .300) but the best I ever seen from them were 3" groups at 100 yds, that not conducive to the precision you need to be using a lower power load, but you can't really blame the low power performance,to many people out there killing the heck out of pigs with rim fires. You even said the ear holed pigs were drt, you didn't say where the others were believed to be hit.
            ARs vary a lot in accuracy, ammo seems to be one of the biggest factors. For years, I could not get Colt ARs to shoot any better than about 4" groups at 100 yards. I classified them as POSs, fun toys but not good for much else. But then many years later I bought a Bushmaster AR, I started off shooting 6" groups with it at 100 yards, eventually got it down to around 1 1/2" to 2" groups at 100 yards with factory ammo. I eventually started hand loading for that rifle, which previously I thought was a waste of time. I found the throats are cut very deep on the rifles chambered for 5.56, then the mags limit the overall length of the rounds a decent amount. So the mags and the throat depth work against each other. I found a bullet with ogive that can be loaded to a length that will feed in a common mag and get pretty close to the throat of the chamber. That bullet has resulted in 1/4" groups from the same gun that used to shoot 6" groups, with Wolf ammo and a best of 1 1/2" groups with factory ammo. It was all in the bullet selection.
            I have since pieced together two other ARs, one in a 270 AR caliber, that dam near matches a 270 Win. ballistics and will shoot 3/8" groups. The other is a 458 SOCOM, which produces very near 45-70 ballistics, shoots the same bullets as a 45-70. ARs have come a long ways, there are a bunch of calibers for the ARs now days.

Comment

My old 10.5 .300blk upper would hold 2" at 100 with decent ammo.

5.56 guns are EXTREMELY dependent on ammo quality and bullet weight vs barrel twist.

My 11.5" 5.56 upper will shoot an inch all day with 77gr MK 262 but 55gr ain't pretty... lol

Comment

It piles them up! I too use supers in the Barnes 110's. I don't shoot subs.

Comment

Love my 300BO for a suppressed really short truck gun while running around the lease. Any pig or coyote under 100yds is going to die. It’s not for everyone. I will build a 12” 6.5 Grendel eventually, even better a 6 Grendel.

Comment

Originally posted by texag93 View Post
                    Love my 300BO for a suppressed really short truck gun while running around the lease. Any pig or coyote under 100yds is going to die. It’s not for everyone. I will build a 12” 6.5 Grendel eventually, even better a 6 Grendel.
                    I’ve supposedly got a 6 Grendel headed my way. Hopefully one day I’ll see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                      My old 10.5 .300blk upper would hold 2" at 100 with decent ammo.

5.56 guns are EXTREMELY dependent on ammo quality and bullet weight vs barrel twist.

My 11.5" 5.56 upper will shoot an inch all day with 77gr MK 262 but 55gr ain't pretty... lol

My core 15 5.56 1:7 twist doesn’t like 55 grain either gonna try 75 grain hp Hornady black and see how it does. Hopefully it pops those piggies alittle better too

Comment

I run a suppressed shorty 300 Black Out but only shoot supers. Have had great luck with the 110 Barnes. Our place is pretty thick so all of the shots are within 125 yards. We have killed dozens of hogs with zero problems and several were big hogs. I really started using it when my kids were little. It worked nice in the AR platform for the kids to be able to handle it comfortably. Even running supers, the suppressor made it so the kids where not afraid of the muzzle blast. I appreciated being able to use a 110 grain bullet instead of a 55 or even 75 grain 223 round on deer. Being able to run a short barrel 30 cal to keep the length down for the kids with the suppressor was huge benefit. No magic bullet exists that does everything perfectly, but we have had great luck when we stay within the limits of the bullet/platform.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyscot3 View Post
                          My core 15 5.56 1:7 twist doesn’t like 55 grain either gonna try 75 grain hp Hornady black and see how it does. Hopefully it pops those piggies alittle better too

I’ve put a lot of hogs down with the Black 75 BTHP.

Comment

Originally posted by ATXArcher View Post
                            I run a suppressed shorty 300 Black Out but only shoot supers. Have had great luck with the 110 Barnes. Our place is pretty thick so all of the shots are within 125 yards. We have killed dozens of hogs with zero problems and several were big hogs. I really started using it when my kids were little. It worked nice in the AR platform for the kids to be able to handle it comfortably. Even running supers, the suppressor made it so the kids where not afraid of the muzzle blast. I appreciated being able to use a 110 grain bullet instead of a 55 or even 75 grain 223 round on deer. Being able to run a short barrel 30 cal to keep the length down for the kids with the suppressor was huge benefit. No magic bullet exists that does everything perfectly, but we have had great luck when we stay within the limits of the bullet/platform.

I try not to shoot without ear pro or a can when hunting but the relatively low muzzle blast from .300 BLK even when uncanned is another huge benefit that not a lot of folks talk about, it makes it great for kids and noise sensitive folks to shoot

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                              I try not to shoot without ear pro or a can when hunting but the relatively low muzzle blast from .300 BLK even when uncanned is another huge benefit that not a lot of folks talk about, it makes it great for kids and noise sensitive folks to shoot

Yes the other night my brother in law and I went hunting and I forgot my ear protection and man I was hurting all night and the next 2 days. Still hear a ring and my ears are popping alittle.

Comment

Originally posted by texag93 View Post
                                Subsonics are not for hunting. Some will argue but they are wrong. I load 110gr Vmax and shoot an 8.3” AR. It has dropped every pig, deer and coyote I’ve shot. I’ve shot pigs in head, neck, behind the shoulder, in the guts running and all dropped quick.

^^^^This. Subsonics aren't for hunting.

Comment

Working...
                                X