No announcement yet.

Who else isn’t a fan of a .300blk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have killed 3 bucks with my blackout that were 85, 120 and 195 yards. none went more than 30 yards. I have also shot 20 pigs largest being 260lbs and only one has went over 50 yards. the 260 shot behind the shoulder at 110 yards never moved.

Comment

I reload 110 Vmax and have really good luck at 100y and under. I don't try to shoot further and my subs are just for plinking. Hogs are tough critters!

Comment

Subs are NOT for hunting hogs. They are for shooting people at very close range, indoors.

I use Supersonic 125gr SST's and kill the heck out of hogs with it out to 200 yards

Comment

Originally posted by texag93 View Post
          Subsonics are not for hunting. Some will argue but they are wrong.
          This 1000000x

With a very few exceptions, subs are for shooting people real quiet like, not for hunting.

Comment

Originally posted by texag93 View Post
            Subsonics are not for hunting. Some will argue but they are wrong. I load 110gr Vmax and shoot an 8.3” AR. It has dropped every pig, deer and coyote I’ve shot. I’ve shot pigs in head, neck, behind the shoulder, in the guts running and all dropped quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            We use 220 gr subs with a can for taking does out of bow blinds late season filling MLD tags. Close range smaller animals it works great

Comment

Remington Hog Hammer has killed many a hog for me and my buddies. For a close range hog/varmint cartridge I really like the .300 Blackout. That is if you're shooting suppressed. If not I could think of better.

My buddies have the .300 Blackout suppressed topped with thermal. I can't think of a better setup for shooting hogs inside of 150 yards. But of course that's just my personal opinion.

Comment

As the others have pointed out, your issue was easy to spot when you said "subsonic".

Comment

Only a small handful of sub loads are designed to expand, I have heard good stuff about Lehigh expanding subs but they are $$$

.300BLK supersonic hunting loads are a fantastic round for hunting deer and pig sized game at average TX shot distances, it has limitations though.

Comment

I have been disappointed by it as well...

I have shot 4 pigs as mine is fairly new all with Barnes VOR-TX

1 dropped, then stood up and ran off 20 seconds later, no blood
                    1 took a 2nd shot as he was running off
                    1 dropped and stayed down (head shot)
                    1 hit, never dropped and never found blood.

Comment

Why are y’all taking shoulder shots on hogs? Shoot them jokers in the head. No tracking required.

Comment

The only sub load I will shoot out of a 300 blackout for hunting is a makers bullet.

If you have never shot a makers bullet for supers or subs you are missing out.

Last edited by yotethumper; 10-14-2019, 04:51 PM.

Comment

I don't trust subsonic anything on a pig. I do have a 300 SBR, and have killed quite a few pigs with it, but would far rather have my Grendel, or now my 450. I pretty much don't do anything but behind the ear shots with a blackout though. I usually shoot pigs behind the ear regardless of caliber though.

Comment

.300 BO is a fun cartridge, I handload 110 Sierra HP in mine. Mine is not an AR, it is an Encore with a 16 inch barrel and a side folding stock. It folds up into a very compact package to take along as a truck gun or in the boat. It shoots the 110 Sierra into an inch at 100, with 20 grains of LilGun powder. I've killed several hogs with mine, just because it is what I had with me at the time. Shot placement is of paramount importance with the little cartridge, it's not a cannon, even the old .30/30 trounces it pretty badly in the power department, and there are better choices for dedicated hunting rigs in the AR platform.

Comment

Had really good luck with barnes 110 black tips

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                                Subs suck for hunting unless it’s a big bore cartridge. Don’t know what supersonic bullets you’ve tried but I’ve killed a truckload of animals with the 110 Barnes TAC TX. 100% pass throughs and 95% DRT.

I shot this coyote at about 150 yards and it ripped him apart. Traveled stem to stern and kept going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                                Beat me to it! If I was gonna sub anything, it'd be .452 or larger.

Comment

Working...
                                X