6.5 Grendel AR slow Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
    I guess I misinterpreted part of your original post. I completely agree with buying a complete upper. If you want to build a lower on the side I think that is a good way to start.

When I said don’t start with the G I meant that if you are just learning to build them I would start with the 223/556 platform as they are much easier to find less expensive parts for. Also the possibility of screwing something up will hurt less on a 223/556 build vs a G build you really want. Gs tend to be a little more expensive on the parts list depending on where you look.

Sierracharlie out…
    I gotcha, I figured that’s what meaning by it. It’s funny you brought that up because I really wanted to build an AR-10 308 a few years ago and when I found out how big of a cluster dookie all that is, I quickly backed out and decided I would just buy one if I ever thought I wanted one.

Comment

Originally posted by Cottonfish View Post
      Here's mine, totally pieced together from all over the place.

[ATTACH]954982[/ATTACH]

The heart of any AR-type rifle is the barrel and bolt, mine is a Faxon 16" mid-length gas group buy barrel from the Grendel forum along with a matching Monster bolt. The barrel has a Superlative adjustable gas block to allow for adjustment when running a suppressor. The lower is an Aero Precision with a Larue MBT trigger, finished with an Aero small parts kit. The BCG is a standard Toolcraft, with the Monster 6.5 bolt running in place of the 5.56 bolt. The upper is a generic square-forge component that came from AR15.com's Equipment Exchange. The most complicated part of the whole build was installing the set-screw gas block, I really should have used a clamp-on but couldn't find one when the build was going together. I've seen roughly MOA accuracy out to 485 yards with factory Hornady 123gr SST loads so far.

Stu
      To hell with building one, I’ll just come borrow yours Stu

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
        To hell with building one, I’ll just come borrow yours Stu
        LOL, you're welcome to visit any time! I'll even take you to the Hwy 31 range some weekend so you can try the platform out if you want. To be honest, I find I don't use it as much as I had initially expected to..... It gets really dirty running suppressed.

Stu

Comment

I gotcha, I figured that’s what meaning by it. It’s funny you brought that up because I really wanted to build an AR-10 308 a few years ago and when I found out how big of a cluster dookie all that is, I quickly backed out and decided I would just buy one if I ever thought I wanted one.

Yes sir best decision you could have made.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Are you just wanting to build one for the experience? I have a friend looking into one after I showed him my 12.5” barrel. He found Grendelhunter.com & they’ve got some pretty good prices & have great reviews.

Comment

Yea I saw your post the other day and I’m gonna try to get up there and talk to them tomorrow. I forget about them up there. Been in there right after they opened and that was he last time. They had a lot of AR stuff back then. How’s it shoot?
              I have only shot it to sight in the scope. Still need to shoot some more. Got it zero'd at 150 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by Terran28 View Post
                I built my own. I used an AR15Performance.com Grendel 18 inch barrel, rifle length gas port. The only issue I had was I had to send it back to have the chamber honed because the Hornady Factory Ammo was getting stuck. AR15Performance mic'd the brass and it had a bulge. The owner specified that Hornady's sizing dies were not quite to specs. I have not yet fired it again, but built my own from a barrel from AR15Performance and an Anderson Upper, then just a rifle length free floated barrel guard and a compensator.
                You should listen to what he said about the dies. Hornady reloading pieces are bottom of the barrel reloading pieces. I won't buy Hornady anything, Lee reloading components are cheap, but noticeably better than Hornady. RCBS is the lowest end reloading components I use. I like most of RCBS reloading components, Redding dies are good stuff, Whidden Gun Works is very good stuff. I have a set of their dies, makes Hornady dies look like scrap metal.

Comment

How easy is it to cerakote (or other coatings) a factory black (anodized maybe?) upper receiver and hand guard? I would really like ODGreen or maybe FDE but finding complete uppers in ODG is impossible (for a budget price ) so if I were to buy a Black upper and disassemble To have someone paint it, would it last or be ok over the factory coat? I assume a good cerakote person would do a good prep job on the surface?

Comment

Originally posted by Black-N-Red View Post
                    Are you just wanting to build one for the experience? I have a friend looking into one after I showed him my 12.5” barrel. He found Grendelhunter.com & they’ve got some pretty good prices & have great reviews.
                    Not really the experience, but I like to tinker with stuff and feel like it would be a fun thing to do. I leave my AR at my moms so she can use it for whatever, I don’t have a place to hunt around where I live. I’m in the process of doing that though and figured if I could get a 6.5G that would give me a slightly larger rifle for pigs and what not around here.

Comment

Oh, and I’m just realizing that the case size of the Grendel eliminates any Pmag usage and only use Metal mags. I hate metal mags...

Comment

How easy is it to cerakote (or other coatings) a factory black (anodized maybe?) upper receiver and hand guard? I would really like ODGreen or maybe FDE but finding complete uppers in ODG is impossible (for a budget price ) so if I were to buy a Black upper and disassemble To have someone paint it, would it last or be ok over the factory coat? I assume a good cerakote person would do a good prep job on the surface?

I used duracoat(because it’s what I’m used to) but I’ve heard good things about the no bake cerakote. The duracoat is very simple. There are plenty of YouTube videos out there to help. Just finished my Grendel. Turned out pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I use Satern barrels on all of my builds, They have all shot clover leaf groups @ 100 yrds I also use Aero precision builder kits and Anderson lowers with great results.

Comment

I really like how the paint job turned out. Sweet little rig!

Comment

any info on that upper?? i didnt see it on aero website, or any side charging uppers for that matter. how dose it cycle?

i am looking for a side charging creedmoor in a 6.5!!!

Comment

Originally posted by creekbottom02 View Post
                                any info on that upper?? i didnt see it on aero website, or any side charging uppers for that matter. how dose it cycle?

i am looking for a side charging creedmoor in a 6.5!!!

That is a Gibbz side charging upper. I went with it because it’s non reciprocating. It uses a standard bolt. You just have to change the cam pin with the one that comes with the upper. It is not MilSpec, though. My handguard did not fit it because it’s one that would typically fit over a MilSpec upper. I had to do a little grinding to get it to fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X