No announcement yet.

6.5 Grendel AR slow Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have had real good luck building on Aero receivers. I also like the little allen screw that helps tighten up the upper to lower fit. If you shop around, you can get great deals on builder sets that have upper/lower/free float rail.
    Spend your money on a quality barrel with matching bolt. My favorite Grendel has an Alexander Arms barrel and hard use bolt.
    Ballistic Advantage and Faxon are also very good choices for a quality barrel.

Comment

Here's my budget 6.5G build
      Click Here

Comment

6.5 Grendel AR slow Build

Originally posted by SAC View Post
        Here's my budget 6.5G build

Click Here
        Where’s the accuracy report maaaaannnnn??

If that thing shoots MOA or better you got a hell of a set up there.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
          You'll be in the minority if the BCA barrel shoots good, I'm afraid. I had 2 of them, both were horrible, like 10-12" at 100 yards horrible.
          Hopefully that's not the case. If so I'll figure out a new barrel for it.
          This rifle doesn't need to be a tack driver. Just wanted a rifle set up for my 3 kids (8yo and two 6 yo).

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's mine, totally pieced together from all over the place.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Grendel.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	24578879

The heart of any AR-type rifle is the barrel and bolt, mine is a Faxon 16" mid-length gas group buy barrel from the Grendel forum along with a matching Monster bolt. The barrel has a Superlative adjustable gas block to allow for adjustment when running a suppressor. The lower is an Aero Precision with a Larue MBT trigger, finished with an Aero small parts kit. The BCG is a standard Toolcraft, with the Monster 6.5 bolt running in place of the 5.56 bolt. The upper is a generic square-forge component that came from AR15.com's Equipment Exchange. The most complicated part of the whole build was installing the set-screw gas block, I really should have used a clamp-on but couldn't find one when the build was going together. I've seen roughly MOA accuracy out to 485 yards with factory Hornady 123gr SST loads so far.

Stu

Comment

I traded for a 6.5G that has a BCA complete upper. The barrel is crap. Best I could get with both types of Hornady ammo was about 6” at 100yds. So I’ll put a new barrel on it and shoot the heck out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                Where’s the accuracy report maaaaannnnn??

If that thing shoots MOA or better you got a hell of a set up there.

Sierracharlie out…
                It kills hogs I had issues early having a flyer round shooting the BLACK ammo. Noticed some of the tips were bent or missing even. Switched to fusion and and every hog I've shot was recovered. Havent sat down and put it back on paper. I'm "good enough lazy" like that.

Comment

Originally posted by SAC View Post
                  It kills hogs I had issues early having a flyer round shooting the BLACK ammo. Noticed some of the tips were bent or missing even. Switched to fusion and and every hog I've shot was recovered. Havent sat down and put it back on paper. I'm "good enough lazy" like that.

That works too

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                    Ok here goes

If you have no experience building an AR platform don’t start on a G.

PSA makes decent guns/uppers/parts for the money. I have a PSA upper 223 that shoots a one inch group at 100 yards with open sights. Acceptable accuracy for 99.98 percent of people.

18 inch barrel is the sweet spot IMO and will get you to 500 yards easy. A shorter barrel is always doable. 1:8 twist is preferred

Part shopping is where you can find things. I’ve used Brownells, midway, Cabela’s, Natchez shooter supply, mid south shooter supply, etc over the years and been able to accomplish most builds. Barrel quality is more important that receiver quality.

I have had better results out of spikes than any other “budget” manufacturer so they get my vote. I had to return and Anderson upper receiver because it wasnt cut to correct spec. If you want better quality spend the money. If you don’t care and it will be a truck gun any piece of **** should suffice just don’t expect it to hold groups.

Sierracharlie out…
                    Well this may or may not be a partial build with complete upper. Haven’t decided yet. Kinda why it will be a slow build, gotta figure out what to do first.

Why do you say don’t start on a Grendel??

Main reason I’m thinking complet upper at first is that I can put it on my RRA lower for time being and play with it while gathering it’s lower parts.

Haha it’ll be more of a truck gun than a bench queen. But I like to have a decent shooting gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Black-N-Red View Post
                      I’m not a pro but I believe I would spend the money in a good barrel. I just put a 12.5” barreled Grendel together with an aero upper Radical bolt carrier group & a Ballistic Advantage barrel. Running a Radical lower. I’m getting sub 1” groups at 100yrds with the American Eagle 90gr TNT rounds. Best part is the American Eagles I’m getting 2580fps out of the 12.5” barrel.
                      Those BA barrels look pretty nice. Definitely putting them down on the list as ones to look at if I go full upper build route.

Comment

Originally posted by redneck82 View Post
                        I built mine. PSA complete lower and BCA complete upper.

Still haven't shot it yet, but should be 1" or less at 100 yards.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk
                        Well let me know what you see when you shoot it. Wouldn’t be a bad deal if it is under 1”

Comment

Originally posted by lglidewell View Post
                          I’ve built more than a few AR’s, still don’t consider myself a pro, but I’m big on ballistic data and my 6.5 Grendel is my go to. I’ve been running a pair of 12.5” SBR’s for several years now and have taken a LOt of pigs, 2 of which out to almost 400yds. The furthest I’ve taken a deer (175 lbs) is 210yds - DRT. The 123gr Hornady Black has been bad medicine for animals and I’m getting a little over 2300 fps at muzzle.
                          A PSA upper would probably suit you fine, but like mentioned above the Ballistic Advantage barrels are awesome. I have 4 of them on different rifles. I used an Odin BCG and have about 4-5 Spikes Tactical uppers/lowers as well as 1 or 2 Aero Precision uppers. I prefer the Spikes. I’ve put CMMG, DPMS, Colt, RRA lower parts kits in a bunch of lowers and all are about the same. Just get a decent trigger and you should be good to go.
                          Haha well you’re more seasoned as I am. This is a lot of good information I’m needing. There’s so many LPKs and other different parts to choose from and not know what is good or not. And I have no idea who makes a good BCG, never had any experience needing to replace that. Trigger definitely won’t be over looked, I have had a few different triggers in ARs and big difference in some of them.

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
                            I used a 18 odin and a aero precision enhanced upper.
                            Sub moa with cheap h black ammo.
                            Very good med for deer and pigs
                            The Aero Precision upper makes lining up your gas tube & Barrel tightness extremely easy
                            Thanks I’ll look into their Upper. I’ve noticed that These days there are more than just a threaded barrel nut on some things these days.

Comment

Originally posted by MnM View Post
                              Your location shows Bullard. I just got a complete 6.5 Grendel upper from Superior Firearms in Tyler a couple of weeks ago for $360. SOTA build 20 inch SS barrel with SS muzzle brake. Got it zero'd this weekend. Took about a box of shells. Happy with it so far, still breaking it in.
                              Yea I saw your post the other day and I’m gonna try to get up there and talk to them tomorrow. I forget about them up there. Been in there right after they opened and that was he last time. They had a lot of AR stuff back then. How’s it shoot?

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
                                Why do you say don’t start on a Grendel??

Main reason I’m thinking complet upper at first is that I can put it on my RRA lower for time being and play with it while gathering it’s lower parts.

I guess I misinterpreted part of your original post. I completely agree with buying a complete upper. If you want to build a lower on the side I think that is a good way to start.

When I said don’t start with the G I meant that if you are just learning to build them I would start with the 223/556 platform as they are much easier to find less expensive parts for. Also the possibility of screwing something up will hurt less on a 223/556 build vs a G build you really want. Gs tend to be a little more expensive on the parts list depending on where you look.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Working...
                                X