No announcement yet.

Large caliber rifle help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm thinking about the same question. ammo concerned, maybe 300 Win Mag . Just bought a 6.5 Creedmoor this season and exit holes with the Hornady ELDx 143 look nice.
    I watch hunting shows and watched an elk drop at 600yds with the 6.5.
    Bigger caliber may be better if you make a bad shot.

I was also looking at the newer 300 PRC but the ammo cost is high. I'm not decided yet and interested if anyone here uses the 300 PRC

Comment

Yup, same boat as you and needed to make a decision quick for the APR build. Started off with 300 wm, but after alot of research switched to the 7mag. The 7mag flies more efficiently at longer distances while giving up very little energy. I wanted this gun to also mess around with for pinging long distance steel. 7mag has 25% less felt recoil than a 300wm. Add a good brake to that and you got something enjoyable to shoot. Just my 2 cents, take it for what it's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
        With the heavies you listed, 338 win mag

This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by UltraMax View Post
          For all those? You listed some big animals. .338 Winchester mag for a guy that’s not reloading.

This

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
            35 Whelan, will kill anything in north america, and won't beat your shoulder to death.

? They kick me lick a SOB!

Comment

Depends on distances you want to shoot. The b/c is what you are gonna be most interested in. I have a 7 Ultra but the b/c on the 28 Nosler is impressive. If you are 300 yards and in I would go with a heavy 30 cal or 338

Comment

Distance is key...and why I recommended the H&H.

I don't want to shoot a Bison, Nilgai, bear, moose or most African plains game across a canyon...get me in their face with an open sight / low power .375 & I'll get excited. Otherwise, I'll kill them with the same .280AI I've been slaying all other critters with since 1994.

Comment

7mm

Comment

Yall are overkill. .22LR will kill anything and 22 mag does it a bit better.

Comment

7mag or 300 Win mag.

Comment

Honestly a 7x57 with a 160 grain bonded bullet will do it all out to 300ish yards, it has been doing it for a long time. I have a 300WM for my big gun and haven't picked it up in years. But now for bears I would want a big bore like a 375, I have a 9.3x62 which is real close. So I guess you need at least 4 guns to answer the question.

Comment

300 prc

Comment

For your list of uses, its going to be hard to top a 300WM. You have lots of ammo AVAILABLE for almost any scenario you may find yourself in. From 150 gr to 220gr factory ammo with standard c/c, premium bonded offerings, solids and everything in between. It can adapt to close quarter work on big critters to way out there on medium sized stuff without breaking a sweat or beating you down. It's older, plain vanilla and out of style in today's market, but absolutely versatile and a solid workhorse that's better now than it ever was.

Comment

Originally posted by merlin View Post
                              I am sentimental to the .300 Weatherby mag.
                              Indeed sir

Comment

I have way more guns than any one man could ever need. My son tells me I am a recoil junkie. I have 375s in H&H, Ultra Mag, and JDJ. Have a Whelen or 3, and a 416 Rigby. The H&H is my hands down favorite, and 300 yards is manageable. It doesn't beat me up like the 300 Win mag. Only issue is pricey ammo, but I am a reloader.

Comment

Working...
                                X