Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Winchester Model 70 Fans In Here? Post them up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Txarrowhunter View Post
    Here’s a picture of my favorite one in my collection. Model 70 stainless classic 270 from 1995 I also purchased one from 1994 from a member here but I’ve not found a scope for it yet.
    Beauty!!! I love the stainless/silver scope combo. I have a Rem 700 CDL 257 Weatherby Mag but the wood sure isn't as pretty as this one.

Comment

A few questions... Do they still make these rifles or is there a certain year where they stopped.

I'm assuming the quality dropped off severely if they're still making them based on other brands?

For the featherweight models are there different grades in those or are all featherweights the same?

Does anybody have a featherweight in 2506? If so any feedback on accuracy quality.

Comment

they still make them, and the quality is still there for the most part. Most people are looking for the years that they made them with controlled round feed rather than the push feed models. Thats why you see alot of people prizing the pre-64 models or any generation after production ramped up in SC in the 90's.

for a production rifle, it's really hard to beat the quality of a model-70 super grade. And if you like wood stocks, there is not another production lightweight rifle made with wood that rivals the M-70 featherweight IMO.

They are my favorite factory bolt rifle, and I have 9 different model 70's in my safe to compliment some Sakos, Weatherbys, Remingtons, Kimbers, Coopers, etc.

Comment

I have always been a Winchester fan
          Shot a 300wm western for 35 years till It was taken frozen me

Just replaced it with m70 lightweight 270

300 & a cull
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by texas shag View Post
            they still make them, and the quality is still there for the most part. Most people are looking for the years that they made them with controlled round feed rather than the push feed models. Thats why you see alot of people prizing the pre-64 models or any generation after production ramped up in SC in the 90's.
            Winchester started producing the CRF actions again in 92? and made them alongside the push feed actions until the New Haven plant closed in 2006. By then, most of the tooling had long since worn out and tolerances were sloppy.

FN then bought Winchester and started production at its SC plant in 2008, with later models being "assembled" at its Portugal factory.

I've owned several different models/years and the newer FN made Winchesters are solid. I'd go so far as to say they beat anything that came out of New Haven after 1964.

I don't know if it's a lack of marketing/new competition or what, but you don't hear a lot of people talking about the Model 70s nowadays. And that's a real shame, cause they're the best they've ever been.

Comment

I bought one of the new CRF Model 70's in '93 I think. It was in 7 Mag and I had purchased it for hunting west Texas mulies and a NWT Dall Sheep hunt I had planned for 1995. That was one accurate rifle with handloaded 162 grain Hornady BTSP's. The only problem was the chamber. I guess the reamer had a piece of metal or something hung on it and it gouged a chuck out of the chamber that made a raised area in a semi circle around the case when fired.

I had a local smith polish the rough edge out. I didn't want to come face to face with an angry grizzly and have a case stick in the chamber and the smith did a great job.

I sold that gun after I got back from NWT. Some guy wanted it more than me I guess, but I wish I had it back.

Comment

I have a stainless/synthetic 300 Win with a Boss that I got for free. Great shooter but not fun to shoot after about a box.

Comment

My '67 this past Saturday. Downed an axis, doe, axis spike, and whitetail all the same day last Saturday with handloads. I was way over scoped for this blind. But, you don't always know when going into a draw hunt.Click image for larger version

Name:	20230106_124520.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	24704172Click image for larger version

Name:	20230107_091145.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	24704173

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

I also found someone with some decent trigger springs. Got my '67 down to 1lb-3oz. And the '65 down to 2.75 lbs with a little stiffer spring.

Comment

I'll have to get mine out and post what I have here for you.

Comment

Sweet rifles!

Comment

picked up an XTR 257 roberts a while back
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                            My '67 this past Saturday. Downed an axis, doe, axis spike, and whitetail all the same day last Saturday with handloads. I was way over scoped for this blind. But, you don't always know when going into a draw hunt.[ATTACH]1115842[/ATTACH][ATTACH]1115843[/ATTACH]

You never said you killed stuff! I like you more than ever now! [emoji16]

Comment

Here is my Model 70 in it's current form. It is an action from 1953. I picked it back up from my gunsmith at DSC. He threaded and chambered the barrel and made the quarter rib for me. I don't have a lathe or mill at home unfortunately.
                              It is chambered in 30-06.

I'll start a long (emphasis on long) live thread when I start whittling on that stock blank.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bubba joe View Post
                                picked up an XTR 257 roberts a while back
                                I"ve got the exact same rifle. You're gonna love it. Mine is super accurate with the 90 gr. Barnes x bullet hand loads.

Comment

Working...
                                X