No announcement yet.

6.5 Creedmore issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5 eld-x is almost overkill for south texas deer. Expect grievous wound channels and losing some shoulder meat.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
      143 eldx
      This

Comment

My 13yo son killed 4 hogs and 2 does with the 140gr federal non typicals. Both does were shoulder shots and they didn't take a step. Hogs were head shot so that doesn't really tell us much. Lol. I've been fairly impressed with the damage and results so far.

Comment

This is so different than everything I have read. How does a 120-145g bullet shot into the center of a deer's shoulder not drop it? I'm not even sure how a bullet going over 2000 fps could not create a non-bleeding wound channel UNLESS the shots were off their mark or the bullets were non-expandable target rounds which would be like shooting a deer with a field point. It could kill him but not immediately. I have my hopes on building a 6.5 Creedmoor from APR with the group build so this post concerns me a little.

Comment

I shot three deer with my 6.5 CM this season. One complete double lung pass through, the deer ran 50 yards with a good blood trail. The other two dropped in their tracks, one of those was a pass through. A couple weeks ago did a high shoulder shot on a hog, dropped where he stood. All at or about 100 yards. I’m shooting Federal Non Typical 140 grain.

OP, where are you placing your shots on deer that run 100-150 yards?

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
              I could care less about any CM they are just a fad, not any better than anything that’s been around longer. That said... there is no cartridge that is just gonna drop everything you shoot with it behind the shoulder. I’ve never dropped a whitetail with a behind the shoulder shot, even with 180 gr .30 cal bullets. If you want them to drop where they stand, you have to shoot them high in the shoulder to shock the spine and break down the shoulder. Any caliber is capable of this, so I wouldn’t worry that your bullet is not working. It seems to be doing exactly what it’s meant to do, to kill.
              I don't think anyone asked what you are a fan of.

The Hornady Precision Hunter 143 gr ELD-X is very accurate, hits really hard, and penetrates really well.

Comment

I shot 3 deer and 2 hogs with mine this year. All with the 143 ELDx from my 65 manbun.

All were head shots at less than 150 except one shoulder shot deer at 315.

None were a pass through, all head shots were DRT and the shoulder shot doe ran about 20ish yards. No blood trail, had it been in dense brush it would have been a very tough recover as it was shot very late in the evening.

It's a very accurate load combo producing 1 inch groups at 300 with minimum development. It was very explosive with fragements making it look like a gut shot when skinning. It made a perfect pencil hole through the inbound shoulder and blew up on the rib cage. I found a few fragments between the outbound ribs and shoulder.

I'm thinking of trying the 130 Nos AB for next year as I'd really like a pass through and blood trail for those longer shots.

Comment

I built a .300 WinMag and decided to do what they do on the hunting shows and shoot a double lung behind the shoulder shot on a nice but at 90 yards. He hunched up and ran off with a sparse blood trail. We found him within 50 yards and wasted no shoulder meat. I was concerned because the vast majority of my .243 kills were DRT but I always center punched the shoulder and lost some of the meat on at least one shoulder. Is it possible that like a bow, any rifle that can punch through both lungs will kill but with an unpredictable blood trail and you will have to track a bit which would be fine in sparse cover but not so fine in south Texas with it's impenetrable thorn forests!?

So, if I shoot a center shoulder punch a deer-sized animal with a 6.5 Creedmoor in 143 ELD-X inside of 500 yards, will most all of the animals be DRT?

Comment

I know a lot of folks are using the 143 ELDX and my father has a Creedmore and is using the cheapest 140 gr. Federal ammo he can find because it shoots well in his rifle.

If it was me, I'd be using the 130 gr. Accubond or the 130 gr. Swift Scirocco. I use the Scirocco in my 6.5 Swede and yes, I've had some stuff run a little, but not very far. Maybe 10 yards at most other than the 300 lb pig that ran about 30 before giving it up. If you're hand loading you should be able to get a little more velocity than the 143.

I've been a Barnes TTSX fan for years and have killed a truck load of stuff with that bullet in .257 Robert and 7mm RSAUM, but since using the Accubond in my 7/08 last year and the Scirocco this year in my Swede and seeing the devastating results, I'll stick with those bullets in these calibers.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                      I know a lot of folks are using the 143 ELDX and my father has a Creedmore and is using the cheapest 140 gr. Federal ammo he can find because it shoots well in his rifle.

If it was me, I'd be using the 130 gr. Accubond or the 130 gr. Swift Scirocco. I use the Scirocco in my 6.5 Swede and yes, I've had some stuff run a little, but not very far. Maybe 10 yards at most other than the 300 lb pig that ran about 30 before giving it up. If you're hand loading you should be able to get a little more velocity than the 143.

I've been a Barnes TTSX fan for years and have killed a truck load of stuff with that bullet in .257 Robert and 7mm RSAUM, but since using the Accubond in my 7/08 last year and the Scirocco this year in my Swede and seeing the devastating results, I'll stick with those bullets in these calibers.
                      I assume you load your own?

Comment

143 grain ELD-X has put down everything we have shot with the Creedmoor without any issues. No tracking needed!

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                          I could care less about any CM they are just a fad, not any better than anything that’s been around longer. That said... there is no cartridge that is just gonna drop everything you shoot with it behind the shoulder. I’ve never dropped a whitetail with a behind the shoulder shot, even with 180 gr .30 cal bullets. If you want them to drop where they stand, you have to shoot them high in the shoulder to shock the spine and break down the shoulder. Any caliber is capable of this, so I wouldn’t worry that your bullet is not working. It seems to be doing exactly what it’s meant to do, to kill.
                          shot over 40 deer with Nosler 150 ballistic tip with a 30-06 pushing 3050 fps,, every one dropped right were they stood, all were right behind the shoulder, none were neck or high shoulder shots, also got 100 % pass throughs,,,

Comment

140 BTHP out of my 260 rem has pinchid big holes through deer at 300 plus yards.

Comment

I shot a buck with my 6.5 MB at around 120 yards with 140 grain Accubonds loaded by Federal.

Unfortunately, I had to shoot him 2x because I somehow shot him in the back ham the 1st time. The 2nd shot was right behind the shoulder. Neither shots were complete pass throughs. I found the first bullet inside the opposite back ham half way expanded and the 2nd bullet was recovered on the outside of the opposite rib cage just underneath the skin, expanded about the same as the 1st. Both bullets held together well. No blood trail. Only ran maybe 25 yards after the 2nd shot.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2515.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	24567956
                                I shot some of these pre season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X