300 Blackout Subsonic for deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chasing_bone View Post
    Why not just get her a crossbow? If she is going to be in bow distance anyway let her use a bow. My daughter is crazy good with my crossbow. And it’s quiet.
    We do use a crossbow. My oldest daughter started hunting with it with good success when she was 6. I’m just looking at different options, methods, and to keep things fun. It would be fun to hunt with subsonic sand a silencer. Looks like I will stick with the crossbow and 223. We have had great success with both in my oldest daughters hands.

Comment

Everyone keeps talking about trajectory 100-120 yard shots. I’m talking archery distances. Most likely 25 yard shots. We hunt in a thicket of cedars and you can’t see further than 35-40 yards.

I came here to see if anyone had any real world experience shooting Texas deer at archery ranges with these bullets. . A few who posted have the experience I was looking for. A few have implied I’m an idiot for asking.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
        Everyone keeps talking about trajectory 100-120 yard shots. I’m talking archery distances. Most likely 25 yard shots. We hunt in a thicket of cedars and you can’t see further than 35-40 yards.

I came here to see if anyone had any real world experience shooting Texas deer at archery ranges with these bullets. . A few who posted have the experience I was looking for. A few have implied I’m an idiot for asking.

Thanks for the input.

This definitely was not my intention. I was just trying to make another option. My apologies if it came out that way. Sounds like you have a good handle on it. That being said you would be surprised how quiet even supers are with a suppressor. I shoot my 270 suppressed and people sitting a couple hundred yards away never know I shoot. Super quiet at the gun. Just get the down range crack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chasing_bone View Post
          This definitely was not my intention. I was just trying to make another option. My apologies if it came out that way. Sounds like you have a good handle on it. That being said you would be surprised how quiet even supers are with a suppressor. I shoot my 270 suppressed and people sitting a couple hundred yards away never know I shoot. Super quiet at the gun. Just get the down range crack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Not at all man, other replies. I’m a big boy though, I have thick skin. Lol

I am still waiting on the suppressor to come in so I don’t know how quiet they are. I just know that the 300BO is the quietest. I will toy around with it once it comes in and find what works best for us.

Thanks!

Comment

Not at all man, other replies. I’m a big boy though, I have thick skin. Lol

I am still waiting on the suppressor to come in so I don’t know how quiet they are. I just know that the 300BO is the quietest. I will toy around with it once it comes in and find what works best for us.

Thanks!

6.5 creed through my suppressor sounds to my ears a little quieter than an unsupressed 22LR. Same with 300 BO super.

It really cuts down the aural discomfort.

Comment

You did say that. I see it now. Sorry if I made you feel like an idiot. Just because I think someone shouldn't do something doesn't mean they're dumb for asking if they should do it.

Shoot those water balloons at your close yardages. When you're 100% every time, go for it.

Comment

Honestly it seems to me a good way to ruin a kid on hunting would be to wound an animal using a marginal cartridge. I also don't think my 7 year old is ready for any of that though, so my perspective is colored.

Comment

Exactly my point. Save the "challenges" after the joy of hunting is established.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

We kill a bunch of deer every year with the BO shooting 220 gr subs with little or no problem filling MLD tags. Most shots are 20-25 yds a few out to 100 yds.
                    It is not like shooting a high velocity bullet, their is very little shock.
                    It is not like shooting an arrow their is very little hemorrhaging.
                    What it does do, it pokes a nice clean hole thru both lungs with out really even spooking the deer. In most cases the deer will run a few feet and stop looking around and fall over dead a minute later. About half the time the other deer at the feeder are still eating.

The key to success it picking you shots, and being able to hit your spot. Broadside is best, avoid the shoulder and punch it thru the lungs.

My opinion is that unless your daughter is calm cool and collected, and an very good shot, the 300 BO sub sonic rounds and not a good choice. Their is just no margin for any kind of error.

FYI 208 AMAX bullets are terrible in the BO

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
                      We kill a bunch of deer every year with the BO shooting 220 gr subs with little or no problem filling MLD tags. Most shots are 20-25 yds a few out to 100 yds.
                      It is not like shooting a high velocity bullet, their is very little shock.
                      It is not like shooting an arrow their is very little hemorrhaging.
                      What it does do, it pokes a nice clean hole thru both lungs with out really even spooking the deer. In most cases the deer will run a few feet and stop looking around and fall over dead a minute later. About half the time the other deer at the feeder are still eating.

The key to success it picking you shots, and being able to hit your spot. Broadside is best, avoid the shoulder and punch it thru the lungs.

My opinion is that unless your daughter is calm cool and collected, and an very good shot, the 300 BO sub sonic rounds and not a good choice. Their is just no margin for any kind of error.

FYI 208 AMAX bullets are terrible in the BO
                      Thank you, this is the feedback I am looking for.

Comment

I have killed a lot of hogs at night with .300 blkout subs. I use the 220 gr. Sierra BTHP in hand loads. I can't recall ever losing a hog that I shot this way, but I try to get multiple shots into them, which, when shooting subs at night with NV, is usually possible, as the hogs have a hard time discerning which direction the shot is coming from. I've had them almost run me over. That being said, I wouldn't shoot a deer with subs that don't expand.

Comment

Another option is to shoot a 125 grain jhp in the 300, it would equal a 357 magnum with the same weight of bullet. You could run it in a rifle at about 1500fps, it wont work in an ar platform or at least I could never get them to cycle. They worked good out of a 30-30 with a reduced load quiet and no recoil, I bet out of a can they are really quiet.

Comment

Working...
                          X