Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone try the new Hornady 190's?

Comment

This is like shooting cast bullets and I have killed quite a few animals with a cast bullet. You are not going to get much expansion if any at all, you need to break the animal down put it in the shoulder and drive bone thru the lungs or put it high on the shoulder. If it was me I would use the rifle and try something like the Woodleigh hydrostatically stabilized bullets.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
        I’m building a 300 Blackout pistol 10.5” and wanted to know if anyone is hunting deer with subsonic ammo. My stamp for my silencer should be in any day, I’ve been waiting for 13 months. Anyway I’m wanting to let my daughter hunt with this from my bow blinds. Shots would be 35-40 yards max, most likely 20 yards.

I see Noveski makes a 220 grain subsonic bullet that is supposed to expand well and penetrate good.

Looking for real world experience for close range shots onTX deer.

Anybody????
        The fact that you're asking this question tells me you should not use subs on deer.

Sorry.

Comment

Honestly, I don't like how it kills with super sonic rounds. I personally wouldn't shoot anything more than a pig at anything over 50 yards with a sub. The only pig I shot with a sub I did not find. I've lost several with supers too. That said, I'm not using hunting specific bullets either.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
            Honestly, I don't like how it kills with super sonic rounds. I personally wouldn't shoot anything more than a pig at anything over 50 yards with a sub. The only pig I shot with a sub I did not find. I've lost several with supers too. That said, I'm not using hunting specific bullets either.
            I shot a hog at 50 yards subsonic and never saw hog again. Heard a solid thud impact. Won’t do that again. Only headshots with subsonic at 20-35 yards max in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
              The fact that you're asking this question tells me you should not use subs on deer.

Sorry.
              This makes no sense.

Comment

I've never tried it, but I think it could be done within reason by a disciplined hunter.

I can't understand the irony of subs vs air rifle threads on this and other forums. Anybody that wants to hunt with subsonic rounds is frequently cautioned against it, if not outright chastised and belittled. Meanwhile, the air rifle segment is growing rapidly and many of the same forums exclaim support for pursuing large game with these pneumatic weapons. I'm not opposed to either method, just amused at the double standard.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                  This makes no sense.
                  Maybe not to an esteemed general such as yourself. Step down from your pedestal.

Subsonic hunting requires such precision, such knowledge of ballistics, yardages (hell, FEETAGES more like it), bullet expansion, etc. that someone who throws up some general inquiry question about it has no business attempting to take a life using this round, much less instruct a child to do the same.

I do not exempt myself from the above. I understand 300BLK subs a little. Maybe even more than a little. But I do not understand them well enough to hunt with them.

And neither does he.

Comment

Sorry.
                    Yes sir.

It’s a fairly new round and there isn’t much to read up on it being used on Texas sized deer at archery distances. I figured I would ask here.

From what I’ve read here we will choose a different method.

Comment

Yikes! Who is on the pedestal?

I don't disagree that the child might be a variable too much, but who would know better than the father. As for the rest of it, the OP framed it from the get-go as a 20 yard game (40 max) due to the known limitations. Within this context, the miraculous mastery of trajectory that you so eloquently described above as being only for the elite sounds a whole lot like bowhunting

Comment

Get her a .243 bolt and put some muffs on her. Much easier to be able to talk to your kiddo b4 the shot (being further away than bow distsnce), build up her confidence, and actually kill the deer quickly with a well placed shot. Make this a positive experience start to finish. Also, ample range time b4 the hunt helps her confidence in her shooting and trusting your instructions. Just did all this in Oct with my stepson. I hope all goes well and you guys enjoy quality time together!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Maybe not to an esteemed general such as yourself. Step down from your pedestal.

Subsonic hunting requires such precision, such knowledge of ballistics, yardages (hell, FEETAGES more like it), bullet expansion, etc. that someone who throws up some general inquiry question about it has no business attempting to take a life using this round, much less instruct a child to do the same.

I do not exempt myself from the above. I understand 300BLK subs a little. Maybe even more than a little. But I do not understand them well enough to hunt with them.

And neither does he.
                          I don't disagree, but he is asking the question. He is here in search of knowledge. It sounds like you have knowledge on the subject. Why not impart that knowledge instead of judgement?

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
                            Yes sir.

It’s a fairly new round and there isn’t much to read up on it being used on Texas sized deer at archery distances. I figured I would ask here.

From what I’ve read here we will choose a different method.
                            Go shoot that .300 BLK with subs. Have a great time. Get really good at it.

Hang some water balloons at varying distances between say 20 and 120 yards. Range them. Shoot them. When you can consistently hit every single one the first time, you might think about head-shooting a deer.

That's how I would approach hunting deer with .300BLK subs.

Comment

Sorry.
                              Exactly. Not a chance.

Comment

Why not just get her a crossbow? If she is going to be in bow distance anyway let her use a bow. My daughter is crazy good with my crossbow. And it’s quiet.

Comment

Working...
                                X