About fed up with my AR- Accuracy issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LiftAndShoot View Post
    You're not shooting progressive twist, by chance?
    I don’t even know what that is

Comment

Longer barrel is like longer draw length on a bow. It will increase FPS and therefore result in tighter group. Just look at how the 20" Garand M1 performs compare to modern day 16" AR-10.

Originally posted by txhunter90 View Post
      It affects FPS, wouldn't say accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by Tazman70 View Post
        Longer barrel is like longer draw length on a bow. It will increase FPS and therefore result in tighter group. Just look at how the 20" Garand M1 performs compare to modern day 16" AR-10.

That is entirely incorrect. It is based on the quality of the barrel. I have seen a 16” AR10 shoot sub MOA out to 900 and while I can site numerous examples I’ll save myself from typing.

Length increases FPS as stated earlier but has no real bearing on accuracy. Every gun is different even when built with the same components.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
          That is entirely incorrect. It is based on the quality of the barrel. I have seen a 16” AR10 shoot sub MOA out to 900 and while I can site numerous examples I’ll save myself from typing.

Length increases FPS as stated earlier but has no real bearing on accuracy. Every gun is different even when built with the same components.

Sierracharlie out…
          Correct.

The only exception is with open sights. Then the longer barrel will shoot more accurately due to the increased sight radius......nothing to do with the barrel or bullet.

Comment

2-3" groups from a "budget" AR15, with a cheap plastic hand guard, sounds pretty darn good to me. You don't have to spend a fortune to get an accurate gun, but a factory Anderson "mil-spec" firearm will most likely never give you sub moa results. If it does... it's a unicorn, not the norm. If you want a tack driver, invest in a better barrel and a free float hand guard. That's why so many people build ARs instead of buying factory ones. You only buy the parts you want, and don't end up with a box full of "take offs".

Comment

What's the barrel twist on yours? Mine is a 1:9 twist. I went through one scope thinking that was the problem,got another and still couldn't get it to group. I switched to lighter bullets and got better accuracy with 45gr. and even better with 40 grain bullets. Anything about 45 grains won't shoot very good in mine at all.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                What's the barrel twist on yours? Mine is a 1:9 twist. I went through one scope thinking that was the problem,got another and still couldn't get it to group. I switched to lighter bullets and got better accuracy with 45gr. and even better with 40 grain bullets. Anything about 45 grains won't shoot very good in mine at all.
                1:8. Should handle light and low side heavier bullets.

Comment

Originally posted by lungbuster1985 View Post
                  2-3" groups from a "budget" AR15, with a cheap plastic hand guard, sounds pretty darn good to me. You don't have to spend a fortune to get an accurate gun, but a factory Anderson "mil-spec" firearm will most likely never give you sub moa results. If it does... it's a unicorn, not the norm. If you want a tack driver, invest in a better barrel and a free float hand guard. That's why so many people build ARs instead of buying factory ones. You only buy the parts you want, and don't end up with a box full of "take offs".
                  This.

Comment

Have you tried shooting off bags or a bipod and rear bag? I ding my shooting worse from the lead sled type rests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Negative.

Comment

x2

Comment

Get a 20 inch barrel if you want less than 1 MOA. Other than that 2-3" is standard for 16".
                          Your right, shorter barrels dont group for crap.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Did I miss the part where the o p gave us any useful info that could actually help him? Like who built the rifle, how long is the barrel, who built the barrel, what triggers in it, is the barrel free floated, what optic are you using, what triggers in the gun? You might even look into the buffer and buffer spring.

Edited to ask what is the twist rate on the barrel? What is the muzzle device?

What gas block is on the gun?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by SC-Texas; 01-26-2018, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SC-Texas View Post
                              Did I miss the part where the o p gave us any useful info that could actually help him? Like who built the rifle, how long is the barrel, who built the barrel, what triggers in it, is the barrel free floated, what optic are you using, what triggers in the gun? You might even look into the buffer and buffer spring.

Edited to ask what is the twist rate on the barrel? What is the muzzle device?

What gas block is on the gun?

Yeah, he gave us some of that info in little bits and pieces throughout the thread.

Anderson mfg. complete "mil-spec" rifle
                              Factory hand guards
                              1 in 8 twist
                              Velocity trigger is the only upgrade

Assumptions made by me...

16" barrel
                              Standard carbine buffer and spring
                              A2 flash hider
                              FSB gas block

No earthly idea what optic he is running.

Comment

Yeah, he gave us some of that info in little bits and pieces throughout the thread.

Anderson mfg. complete "mil-spec" rifle
                                Factory hand guards
                                1 in 8 twist
                                Velocity trigger is the only upgrade

Assumptions made by me...

16" barrel
                                Standard carbine buffer and spring
                                A2 flash hider
                                FSB gas block

No earthly idea what optic he is running.
                                It may be hard to get better than 3 or 4 MOA with a one power red.

Comment

Working...
                                X