Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

sharing my custom rifle knowledge and insight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perfect...thanks. Yeah, Batt was the emerging rave even back when as well as I recall. If it's done right who cares. My best lv & hv were both flat K's & did not know the short br game was diluting so badly but can grasp.

I'll do something special one day custom again...unless a user miracal falls into my lap somehow. Just no idea to fill that gap not represented. A shame my only true customs were used on paper while the poser 700's did the killing.

I want a custom action huntng rig at some point

Comment

Wow how cool, so you can get a right hand bolt with a left ejection port for the brass?

Comment

Blake,
        Another newbie here, why the single shot?

Comment

Look what Blake wrote above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
            Wow how cool, so you can get a right hand bolt with a left ejection port for the brass?
            It was a great feature at the range & helped speed things up when running a condition & not having to take your hand off the bolt. Most all those br rigs had no ejector, as the last thing you want is for that hi-dollar Lapua that has a bunch of hours in it being prepped hitting the ground. I always lands on the neck!!

At one point, I think it was viper who was working on a drop port that fell out of small cut out from the bottom of the action & stock, gently falling on a towel.

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
              many right handed benchrest shooters prefer an action with a Right Bolt, Left loading Port, and Right side micro-eject. This allows the shooter to shoot faster under optimal weather conditions. You're reading dozens if not hundreds of wind flags trying to duplicate 5 exact shots. You have 7 minutes to shoot 5 shots for record, you can shoot unlimited times at your sighter target. You shoot 5 groups for record and the average of all 5 groups is your "group size" for a particular yardage. Winners are determind who has the smallest group size at 100, 200, and occasionally 300 yds. The 6PPC cartridge is shot by 99.9999% of the competitors since it's the most accurate short range cartridge ever designed.

Watch this video below as this is how I got started in precision accuracy, hand loading, and chasing 1 hole groups. Because I learned how to shoot fast, I prefer a single shot action since I have 100% confidence in my rifle. In theory "One Shot, One Kill". If your 1st shot hits the brain, eyeball, heart, earhole, or intended spot, you rarely need a 2nd shot.

If you notice above, most all of my rifles are designed like a bechrest gun... 10.5 lbs w/out glass, wide forend, and a Sendero or Light Varmint contour barrel. Very little recoil since the guns are so heavy. The largest hunting cartridge I own is a 6.5x284, no magnums or .300's since I don't shoot elk in Colorado. I shoot deer, hogs, coyotes, crows, varmints, predators, and paper.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTHjjCcr_44"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTHjjCcr_44[/ame]

Last edited by Cajun Blake; 01-24-2018, 04:36 PM.

Comment

Here's my Panda .. RB, LP, R eject

This rifle is designed for benchrest competition or shooting prairie dogs, groundhogs from a bench. After firing a round, the case is ejected through the R side micro-port. Most of my hunting rifles are RB/LP and eject on left side.

Comment

You have got some toys sir!

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                    You have got some toys sir!

Sierracharlie out…
                    True but look at that lawn!!

Comment

Excellent thread and I’m sure helpful to many

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                        True but look at that lawn!!

Also a true statement haha I love a nice green yard!

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Awesome information, thanks for the insight.

Comment

Bump as I’m going a gentleman with a new custom LR build

Comment

Cajun Blake, glad you bumped it. Thanks for the very useful, detailed information. I never knew how much I didn’t know until I quickly read through this post. I will spend time closely reading it to better understand custom rifles. Great post, thanks.

Comment

Really wish we could keep this guy in the tbh family...

Comment

Working...
                                X