Clear All

Great thread. Thanks for the info

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
      darn rookies, I gotta teach y'all everything I know

ABS is PROOF's daddy
      https://www.longrangehunting.com/thr...urfaces.76358/

Advanced Barrel Systems sold to KK Jense who changed the name to PROOF

the bottom stock is a Kelbly sporter hunting stock in fiberglass / graphite gelcoat as the color is called "copper penny".

When I look at actions they mention "bottom metal" what is this?

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
        Trigger guard, box magazine, action bolts.....everything that is on the "bottom" of the rifle

Comment

Hey Blake - I see you have mainly Leupold on your rifles. That being said, what are your favorite optics? Still trying to decide what to put on my APR build. I can get pretty good deals on some, but not others. Looking for hunting rifle shooting up to probably 500yds.

Currently looking at:
          Zeiss conquest V6
          Swarovski Z5-BT
          Steiner GS3
          Leupold Mark 5HD
          Last edited by captainsling; 01-23-2018, 01:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
            Trigger guard, box magazine, action bolts.....everything that is on the "bottom" of the rifle
            Thanks amigo

Comment

220 Russian (Lapua brass) necked down to .20 caliber. Developed by my long time benchrest friends Gene Beggs and Arnold Jewell. Stupidly accurate and results in the cessation of all biological functions

25.2 grs N133 under a 40 gr Berger = 4100 fps.
              26.0 grs N133 under a 35 gr Berger = 4350 fps.
              Sweet baby Jesus!!! That is just awesome

Comment

220 Russian (Lapua brass) necked down to .20 caliber. Developed by my long time benchrest friends Gene Beggs and Arnold Jewell. Stupidly accurate and results in the cessation of all biological functions

25.2 grs N133 under a 40 gr Berger = 4100 fps.
                26.0 grs N133 under a 35 gr Berger = 4350 fps.
                Yeah.......I want one. I did a little research on the 20 Beggs a few months ago and if I’m not mistaken he is located in midland which is just a couple hours south of me. As soon I get serious I may pm you and get little more info and direction if you wouldn’t mind. Thanks for the info sir!

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
                  BM

With a single shot, you don’t need BM
                  Last edited by Cajun Blake; 01-23-2018, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Single shot action has a solid bottom, more rigid and more surface area to bed lending itself to greater accuracy

Comment

Great information. Thanks for posting it up! What brand of action is that last one?

Comment

Originally posted by oneeye View Post
                        Great information. Thanks for posting it up! What brand of action is that last one?
                        that's a Stolle Panda made by Kelblys in Ohio.

pic below: look closely and you will see a steel cylindrical action that has been pressed into an aluminum action body. Recoil lug is machined from the bar stock aluminum. Bolt has a coned face because it's single shot. Repeater actions have a flat bolt face to aid in cycling rounds from the magazine.

Kelbly Kodiak action - bead blasted finish

RB/LP ... my preferred action set-up - polished finish

note the wide/large surface area for bedding the solid bottom action

Comment

That large, flat bottom is what caught my eye!

Comment

Originally posted by oneeye View Post
                            That large, flat bottom is what caught my eye!
                            the Kodiak width 1.400" is practically identical to a Rem 700 action width 1.348"

Kodiak action length is 8.500" vs. Remington at 7.900" ... .600" longer

Comment

Who has your soft spot for actions these days Blake or who is your choice, **** the torpedo / price?? I prefer the flat bottoms if I was going to go full blown BR but honestly had no issues with the Halls I shot either for the same application.

It's been some time & have not kept up with it, but always had a shining for a Farley back in the day for some reason. Are they still cranking them out??

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                                Who has your soft spot for actions these days Blake or who is your choice, **** the torpedo / price?? I prefer the flat bottoms if I was going to go full blown BR but honestly had no issues with the Halls I shot either for the same application.

It's been some time & have not kept up with it, but always had a shining for a Farley back in the day for some reason. Are they still cranking them out??
                                Jim Farley is still producing actions as lots of shooters are using his Co-Axial rest for F-Class. Benchrest is a dying sport as most manufacturers have shifted their business model to producing hunting actions and tactical actions for PRS. Glen Harrison, creator of Nesika and Phoenix Machine and current owner of Defiance may be the top dog right now. His actions are the schitt. I've always wanted a BAT but Bruce Thom's prices are high and up to 1 year wait for an action.

IMO, Kelbly's is hard to beat. George Sr., Jim, and Ian have always been there to answer my questions and go the extra mile to help out their customers. Guess that's why I own 5-6 of their actions/rifles. Benchrest precision incorporated into hunting and PRS rifle builds. Nothing against the other action builders, as I'm just SOLD on Kelblys products: actions, stocks, machine work, etc... If I need a new barrel for any one of my Kelbly actions, I order what I need, it's chambered and threaded in Ohio, mailed to me in LA, and will headspace and fit dead nuts perfect every single time with no GS'ing or gauges needed. Their action threads and machine work is that precise. They offer an ATLAS Tactical (700 footprint) for $999 which is a steal since other actions treated with PVD, DLC, or Black Nitride run close to $1500.

Comment

Working...
                                X