• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Originally posted by Ironman View Post
      That's what I told her!
      Lmao

Comment

I like the 308. Any of the mentioned calibers are going to be good on that first shot when your target is relaxed and standing still. It’s the follow on shots after they scatter and are running in all directions. Those shots will be less accurate and the additional size and power of the 308 will have more stopping power on the non-vital areas as you’re taking snapshots as they run. It helps to have a compensator mounted to help keep your muzzle under control with the 308.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

One other thing , your probably not going to recover your brass either unless your in a blind. So you might want to think of that as well. I ain’t a fan of the 300 AAC for hog hunting with shots farther than 50 yards. Of course people kill pigs with them all the time, just seems mine is a little anemic for a long shot.

Comment

6.5 Grendel gets my vote

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
              yep, put it in the rear and it don't matter how big it is.
              fify

Comment

Look at PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) rifles in the 7.62x39. Super cheap to shoot and they are about the only company that has perfected the AK round in the AR15 platform. I love mine!

Comment

6.5 Grendel is amazing on the AR-15 platform.

.458 socom would be my second choice.

Comment

7.62x39 heavy cheap bullets. Liking the 25-45 as well.

Comment

I’m having a Grendel built as we speak. Hopefully going to find out how it is on some big porkers soon.

Comment

Grendel!

Comment

ar15 platform (uppers and lowers are like legos because mil-spec)

30 cal: you have two options; .300 blk and 7.62x39. if you reload, doesnt really matter but if you dont and this will be a hog only gun, I would say 7.62x39. Reason is that the .300 blk is easier than ever before to find ammo, it still isnt as mainstream as 7.62x39 because that round is used the AK47. Ammo is about as cheap as they come.

6.8 spc: this is a decent round as well, I know a lot of people who use it on pigs and have great success but they dont try to take far shots and can place the bullet where they want. They have often said that once the pigs start spreading, they would want more energy than the 6.8 has.

6.5 grendel: great round but going to be harder to find than the others.

AR10/AR308 platform (NOT like legos, not mil-spec and so would need to try and stay with the same company as far as uppers and lowers together)

This platform is basically limitless as you can make them shoot pretty much any round that will fit in a short action bolt rifle. Rifles are a bit heavier than the ar15 just because they are physically a larger rifle. I have my AeroPrecision in .308 and it has plenty of thumping power left at range for a pig. If you decide to go this route, I would suggest in staying away from AR10 spec items because aftermarket support for the AR308/DPMS pattern is larger. Youre also not restricted to special magazines as the AR10 needs. You can go into Academy and pick up Pmag LR/SR magazines and a box of .308 ammo. I built a prairie dog AR308 and chambered it in 22-250AI. I am considering making one in .243 next....but theyre all built off of the AR308/DPMS pattern.

...sorry for the long winded explanation but figured id spread some information/explanations

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post
                            fify
                            That works too.

Comment

I like my AR10-308 you can shoot em in the *** and they go down

Comment

Originally posted by alien77721 View Post
                                Looking at getting one. Opinions and reasoning?
                                458 socom,,,, because big bullets make big holes and less than perfect shots,, are still big holes!! and penetration is preferred to high speed on big animals,, regardless if you like fast or slow,,,
                                two holes always pour more blood than 1!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X