257 Wby or 264 Win Mag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

257 Wby or 264 Win Mag?

These two calibers have me wondering.......which would you go with for a mountain caliber (goat, Mulies, sheep, etc)? The Wby ammo price is always a deterrent, but man it's a screamer. The .264 seems to be the Creedmoor's granddaddy, kinda showing the young round how it used to be done back in the day......

.264 win mag all day everyday.

Comment

.257 WM if I had to pick.

If you shoot a lot the .264 barrel will need replacing in short order.

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post

Barrel will wear out nearly as fast as the 257 Weatherby...
        I would go with the .264 due to better bullet selection available. However, look into the new 6.5PRC before pulling the plug on either.

Comment

270 wsm.....130's at 3350+ fps- 140's at 3250+fps- and 150's at 3150+ with a 23-24" barrel, not the 26" barrel that's needed for the 257 or 264

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
            Barrel will wear out nearly as fast as the 257 Weatherby...
            I would go with the .264 due to better bullet selection available. However, look into the new 6.5PRC before pulling the plug on either.
            That's the first I've heard that. Hmm..
            The .264 is a great round but VERY hard on the throat.. IF you shoot a lot..
            If you don't no worries.

Comment

They are both fine but I prefer the 26 Nosler

I'm flinging a 140g Accubond 3,525fps out of my latest one @ < 1/2 moa.

Comment

264 Win Mag, hands down. Heavier bullet weights available which permit better knock-down, and wider selection due to the 6.5 mm trend in the shooting sports.

ttaxi, I partially disagree with you for the first time ever. ALL over-bored rounds will chew up barrels if you shoot a lot. If it's only a hunting rifle (which it appears to be), it won't matter. I'm rebarreling my 264 right now that I have had since 1994. Not because the barrel is worn but because my stupid a*s got a 28 Cal cleaning jag stuck in it.

All that said, both will work famously.

Comment

More variety in bullet weights for 264 vs 257. Better BC and SD for 264 as well. Brass also cheaper for 264. 264 would be my choice

Comment

Originally posted by Livin'2hunt View Post
                    264 Win Mag, hands down. Heavier bullet weights available which permit better knock-down, and wider selection due to the 6.5 mm trend in the shooting sports.

ttaxi, I partially disagree with you for the first time ever. ALL over-bored rounds will chew up barrels if you shoot a lot. If it's only a hunting rifle (which it appears to be), it won't matter. I'm rebarreling my 264 right now that I have had since 1994. Not because the barrel is worn but because my stupid a*s got a 28 Cal cleaning jag stuck in it.

All that said, both will work famously.
                    10-4. I've never heard of someone eroding the throat of .257 Wthby but I know several who haven't ruined .264 barrels in as little as 1,000 shots..
                    Hand loading doesn't always help. They may have been a little hot..

But yes I have a .257 Wthby and wven hand loading the bullet selection is lacking..
                    .264 is on of my favorites by the way..

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
                      They are both fine but I prefer the 26 Nosler

I'm flinging a 140g Accubond 3,525fps out of my latest one @ < 1/2 moa.
                      Be careful where you point that thing. That might kill something.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                        Be careful where you point that thing. That might kill something.

Find out next week in Colorado. [emoji6]

Had her screaming here.

Comment

.257 Weatherby, or .264 Win Mag..........

Yes, please!

Comment

10-4. I've never heard of someone eroding the throat of .257 Wthby but I know several who haven't ruined .264 barrels in as little as 1,000 shots.

Probably due to the cost of ammo!! It is true, the short barrel life of a 264 is well documented. The main thing to keep in perspective is, neither of these rounds is an all day, steel bangin' type of round. They are meant for one thing; long range killing and both do it well. I just prefer more selection of projectiles. It's simply a matter of preference.

Comment

While I have not rifled hunted in years if I did it I would breakout my 264.

-john

Comment

Working...
                              X