No announcement yet.

257 Wby or 264 Win Mag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 for waiting to check out the 6.5 PRC. The SAUM / GAP4S lineage have really good numbers.

Comment

I love my 257 WBY, but I also love my 6.5-284 Norma. For a mountain rifle I would go 6.5-284 Norma.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy View Post
        They are both fine but I prefer the 26 Nosler

I'm flinging a 140g Accubond 3,525fps out of my latest one @ < 1/2 moa.
        Nice!!

Comment

Of the two I'd go with the 264wm due to a much greater selection of bullets, many of them being extremely high BC.

If you're open to it, the good ole 7rm is very hard to beat and is a hand loaders dream in addition to having a Hugh selection of factory ammo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Balcones_Walker View Post
            +1 for waiting to check out the 6.5 PRC. The SAUM / GAP4S lineage have really good numbers.
            I shoot a 6.5SAUM but wouldn’t recommend it unless someone is proficient at reloading. However, the 6.5 PRC gives up little to the SAUM/GAP4S and is available in factory ammo without having to use specialty reloading companies like Copper Creek.

The only reason you never hear of a Weatherby throat eroding is because they start out super long and nobody with a Weatherby chamber can even get close to the lands to track it. Roy used this excessive jump to gain velocity and sell more gun writers back in the day. Worked like a champ for him.

Comment

264 all day. 257 is too small for bigger game. Some will disagree. I've seen some very big deer take several hits from a lot bigger rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by scjeeptx View Post
                These two calibers have me wondering.......which would you go with for a mountain caliber (goat, Mulies, sheep, etc)? The Wby ammo price is always a deterrent, but man it's a screamer. The .264 seems to be the Creedmoor's granddaddy, kinda showing the young round how it used to be done back in the day......
                264 mag,, not a hard choice at all

Comment

Originally posted by droptine8850 View Post
                  270 wsm.....130's at 3350+ fps- 140's at 3250+fps- and 150's at 3150+ with a 23-24" barrel, not the 26" barrel that's needed for the 257 or 264
                  X2

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
                    I shoot a 6.5SAUM but wouldn’t recommend it unless someone is proficient at reloading.
                    Absolutely - honestly I wouldn't recommend any of these calibers unless you're already reloading, the added price and limited options aren't worth it over a 7mm mag for instance.

Comment

270wsm or 6.5prc the ammo will cost 1/2 to 2/3 cheaper. The 6.5prc will most likely drop in price comming even cheaper.

Comment

Having had and shot both a good amount, the 264wm is my go to gun if I need to reach out touch something. I've had pretty good luck with factory nosler 264wm ammo - very accurate and drops everything from hogs to red stag no problem. Furthest I've had something go is 20 yards and most have reacted like they were struck by lightning!

I'm a sucker for the 6.5 anything though - have had really good accuracy and terminal performance regardless of the chambering - 6.5 creedmoor, 260 remington, 264wm, 26 nosler, etc...

Comment

If you're even considering the 257 WBY and the price of ammo is an option then I would be looking at the 6.5-300 WBY instead of the 264 Win Mag

Comment

I personally like the .264 Win Mag out of those two. But either will do the job.

However if you want to look at some crazy ballistics, take a look at the 6.5 STW. I'm not saying buy one, because that's not what you asked, but if ammo cost isn't an issue and you want speed and long range out of something smaller than 7.62, it doesn't get much faster. With 85gr. of IMR-7828 behind an 85gr. Sierra HP, it is absolutely ripping through the air at 4,016 fps!!! Imagine the trajectory with a similar weight Berger VLD...

Comment

I have a .257 and for the application I'd go .264 over it if I didn't have a 7mm mag

Comment

.264 WM would be my choice.

kt

Comment

Working...
                                X