Clear All

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00216.003.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	24477792 This is mine

Comment

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
      I'm a big remington fan. Have 2 other older Remington's that shoot lights out.

Is the quality still just as good. Heard that they are not what they used to be.
      In my experience quality is hit or miss with new Remingtons.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Worry more about the barrel than brand, be sure you find something with a twist faster than 1:14 and ideally faster than 1:12.

Comment

Ruger American predator is 1:10.
          Leaning towards that one

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
            My .22-250 is a Winchester M70 Featherweight--an old one. I only use it for hogs, but it lays them in the dirt just fine, and off the bench, it will deliver 3/4" 3-shot groups with 55-gr ballistic tips over H380 at 3550 fps.
            We have probably the exact same model! Wood stock with superb grains and so accurate it's a dream. My late Father passed it to me, I passed it to my oldest son and he fights with my middle TBH son as to who it belongs to? The caliber is so versatile...we/I have taken hogs, yotes, fox, whitetail over the years and if placement is right...DRT.

If I could ever find this caliber in a AR platform....oh man, would sell whatever I needed to and it would be mine. Very underrated caliber in my opinion and experience...can you tell...love it!

Comment

I found a browning xbolt in 22-250 at Cabelas tonight for close to your top end budget. Pretty sure it had a leupold scope on it too.

Comment

Originally posted by boomer453 View Post
                Worry more about the barrel than brand, be sure you find something with a twist faster than 1:14 and ideally faster than 1:12.
                My 250's are dedicated coyote guns. 55 gr is plenty for them so no need for faster twist.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Savage 22-250 I love it

Comment

Bringing this back to the top.

I have been looking a lot and found an AR10 in 22-250. It is over my current price point but I'm going to wait to purchase for now because my brother is going to let me borrow a gun until I can decide.

What are the pro's and con's of going this route instead of a bolt gun. I know it will probably be heavy but won't be packing long distances as most of the places i hunt we use ranger's and such and then set up.

Comment

Originally posted by orlybow View Post
                      Back in Sept., I got this Savage Axis HB rifle combo for just $388 from Walmart. Has accu-trigger and heavy barrel. Removed the cheap Bushnell scope and bases. Added a one piece Leupold base and rings and a vortex viper I had laying around. Im shooting clover leaf groups at 100yds with cheap federal 50gr jacketed hollow points.
                      The long action/bolt throw takes a little getting used to, but replaced the stock bolt knob with a larger one...that helped a lot. Just over $500 for gun, rings, bases, knob and 2 boxes of ammo. Very happy with accuracy [emoji2]... Haven't shot any critters with it yet [emoji22]

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk
                      I was waiting for these to go on sale to pick one up. Seemed like a sweet gun for sure.

I have a Rem700 VS in 22-250 and it's a killing machine and loves those Federal AE 50g JHP bullets.

Comment

Weatherby Vanguard H-Bar has threaded barrel and should be close to your price range. Its available in .223, 6.5 Creedmoor and .308.

You did not say how far your going to be shooting but the .223 is a good round,cheaper to shoot and a little more accurate. If under 300 yards that .223 is hard to beat but that 22-250 has about 400 FPS advantage. I have owned three different 22-250 rifles and found that everyone of them took some extra time to develop a load versus the .223. Ruger 77 Varminter, Remington VSSF and Kimber Varminter were the 22-250 I owned.

I have owned two .223 bolt guns and got them to dial in with reloads easier than the 22-250. Weatherby Vanguard Sporter and a Remington 788 were the .223 I owned and still have the Weatherby.

If your looking at long range, I would take a long look at a .243. Of course this is my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                          Find a used VS / vSF / VSSF 700 in a swift or 22-250 & be done...great rounds but prefer the swift myself
                          X10. The 22-250 and 220 Swift were made to shoot tiny little pills very fast, that is why they are made with 1:12 or 1:14 Twist rates. IMO, if you want to shoot a larger bullet, step up to the 243, 6mm etc. Oh, and don't believe the rumors about these calibers eating barrels. Unless you shoot every load you work up at max and shoot thousands of rounds, you will never shoot out the barrel. Most guys don't ever come close to shooting that much.

I have shot the Swift for 35+ years and have loaded about every type of bullet for it over that timeframe. My current Swift is one of the first generation Remington 700 VSSF's with a 26 inch barrel. That is what I would recommend the OP look for in the 22-250 caliber.

I have shot everything from the Barnes 36 gr Varmint Grenade to the Hornady 60 gr HP. Without a doubt, these two calibers like 50-55 gr pills. My current and favorite Swift load is the Sierra 55 gr HPBT using IMR4064 powder. I run it about 3850 fps and if I do my job, it will put 10 rounds inside a quarter at 100 yards all day long. That bullet is devastating on coyotes, for which these two calibers were initially designed. I have a CDS dial on my Leupold for this load and it is without a doubt the first rifle I reach for in the safe when I head to the country.

Either caliber will serve you well, I just am partial to the Swift. If you don't reload, definitely get the 22-250 as ammunition is much more readily available on the store shelves.
                          Last edited by WyoBull; 01-13-2017, 08:33 AM.

Comment

Here is a target with 10 shots at 100 yards with the Sierra 55 gr HPBT and IMR4064 powder running about 3850fps. This is out of my 220 Swift but the 22-250 would shoot this as well. Just wanted to let you know by showing you that these calibers are very accurate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170113_095351.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	24480721

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been saying for years that the people who talk about burning out a barrel in 1000 rounds are taking about a much different standard than most of us. That group above is quite respectable, some would even say great, but others, bench rest guys in particular, would say that barrel is trashed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
                                I've been saying for years that the people who talk about burning out a barrel in 1000 rounds are taking about a much different standard than most of us. That group above is quite respectable, some would even say great, but others, bench rest guys in particular, would say that barrel is trashed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
                                Yes, some of the bench rest guys may say that. Different standards for sure with those guys. But, I am a hunter and the varmints have never told me, "Man, I wish your shot would have been 1/4 inch to the right"! hahaha

We have a guy here in town that is a bench rest shooter and quite serious about it. He will take a half hour to set up, take a shot and then spend the next 10 minutes tweaking and tuning before taking his next shot. I can and do appreciate the game he is in but thats not the game I play. For me, if I can load to sub moa groups with all my rifles, I am happy with that. If not, the rifle does not have a place in my safe. I guess some would call it the acceptance of different degrees of accuracy.

Comment

Working...
                                X