Ditching 300 blackout for 6.8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ditching 300 blackout for 6.8?

I’m sure this has been beat to death at this point but I figured I’d ask anyway.

I’ve been killing hogs and coyotes for a couple years now with 300 blackout SBRs, 8.2” Noveske barrels to be exact. While I’ve been effective I just feel that the power isn’t there. I’m shooting a max load with 125 GR SST’s

Looking to learn about 6.8. It seems like the hardcore hog hunters are all just about shooting that round and doing so very effectively.

My normal hunting situation is typically about 150 yards or closer. I’m using suppressors and thermals and want to stay at as short a barrel as possible. I do reload.

I understand a barrel change, plus bolt, plus mag is all that really needs to be changed to convert to 6.8. What else?

Any and all knowledge would be appreciated. Where to source parts, etc.

If the gun shoots good and they are dead after you shoot, no need to be worried. I kill a bunch each year with 223 using the hornady soft point bullet that comes in a 50 round box. Hogs aren't as tough as people make them out to be.

Comment

I went from 6.8 to 300blk now I'm going to try the 6.5. I reload for everything so I don't care about ammo availability. 6.5 will be harder to find than 6.8 I was not very happy with my 6.8 and my 300blk sub/suppressed kills all but not over 100yrds. It is OK to own all of them

Comment

I shoot the 6.5 grendel. I started with this before the 6.8 came out. They are almost ballistically identical out to 300yds. If was choosing today I would go with the 6.8. I also like the .277 Wolverine (.223 bolt and mags) but that is way off the grid as of now.

The grendel has the recoil of a .223 with the knockdown power of a .243. I feel it is the perfect hunting caliber for all of Texas except South Texas and Mule Deer.

Comment

I'm thinking 6.8 just for availability of components. My guns shoot good but I feel like it takes more rounds to drop a pig and I wind up loosing other pigs cause I'm focusing on the first one.

Comment

If I was to change from the 300 blackout it would be to the .277 wolverine or 6x45.

Nothing wrong with the 6.8, I'd just prefer to keep the same mags and bolt with sub calibers.

Comment

I'll look into those. Who makes barrels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

im with the other guy..ive been told my whole life that you need a big gun for pigs and the ranch i grew up on i shot pigs dang near every night with a .222 and dont own anything bigger than a 243. I will get a larger gun at some point but its not because my others dont get the job done itll just be to add to the collection and maybe get into long range

Comment

Originally posted by mdmorrow View Post
                  I'll look into those. Who makes barrels?

Bison 11.5" 1-7 twist will shoot 200gr subs and 90gr supers at @2600+ fps

Beware some silencer companies wont warranty their products on a 6.8 barrel less than 16". I'm getting just shy of 2500 fps with the 90gr gold dots and 8.5" Bison BSP barrel.

Comment

6.8 is the bomb, I've had nothing but success with it. It's a surprisingly flat shooting round too

Comment

Originally posted by Colton View Post
                      6.8 is the bomb, I've had nothing but success with it. It's a surprisingly flat shooting round too
                      X2 I love mine. Accuracy out of the arp melonite barrel is lights out too.

Comment

I've got an omega and a saker. I know the saker is good to go. Anybody know the minimum length for a 6.8 sbr with the omega ?

Comment

I bought a 6x45 barrel from Black Hole Weaponry for my daughter to use on deer. Really like the round. Easy to load from bulk 223 brass. Use bullets that I've bought up for my sons 243.

Comment

I've killed a boat load of pigs with my 300 blackout. I have much better DRT results using the Barnes 110 TAC TX than the SST or the ballistic tips.

I built a high end 6.8 last year. Wife shot a deer and killed it. Pig came running in less than 5 minutes later. She shot it to and we never recovered. I just never got excited about it so I sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have considered going down to a smaller faster bullet. Any other options around 100-110 gr?

Comment

Working...
                              X