Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ditching 300 blackout for 6.8?

Originally posted by mdmorrow View Post
    Oh I intend to keep at least one 300 just for the sake of it I put so much into them but I have one I wouldn't mind changing out. May just do another upper though like you said. The one I have with the omega wouldn't be worth fooling with anyway because the omega is only warrantied down to 16" in 6.8 from what I understand.

I found the link below that says SiCo has rated the Omega down to 10" barrel for the 6.8 SPC. I think they mistakenly started saying 16" because they weren't familiar with the caliber and erroneously compared it to a .308. It's a pretty mild caliber and should be just fine through a shorter barrel, like 10.5-12.5" Confirm with SiCo, of course; but at least you, now, have the name of a CS rep that you can reference. Hope this is good news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

change your ammo man.. I was using the barnes vortex 110 grain and at all ranges it seems to lack that knockdown power. Im not a fan of ballistic tips at all for hunting. I don't know if its because of expansion or penetration or what. They just seem to lack the trauma I notice on SP ammo. I started using the 125 gr sierra soft points. Ive used Remington corelokts for my whitetail rounds in many calibers and always had good expansion and animals always drop. Im no expert but i do kill a lot of **** and seem to have better luck with soft points. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Interested to see what you find out.

Comment

6.8 is an excellent medium game round. I have both 6.8 and 300 BO. I will always pick up the 6.8 for deer and hogs. I like the Hornady 110gr VMAX load. I've found the Remington ultra bonded round doesn't expand well in deer. The VMAX load is nasty on deer and hogs.

Comment

I'm going to try the vmax 110 over a max load of h110 in my blackout. From my research it's a thin skinned bullet and should expand good at lower speeds and not fragment as it was designed to do at high speeds. we'll see. I'll also be trying a soft point in a 110 or 125. On side note anyone interested in a few boxes of 125 sst?

Comment

Originally posted by taylormade820 View Post
            change your ammo man.. I was using the barnes vortex 110 grain and at all ranges it seems to lack that knockdown power. Im not a fan of ballistic tips at all for hunting. I don't know if its because of expansion or penetration or what. They just seem to lack the trauma I notice on SP ammo. I started using the 125 gr sierra soft points. Ive used Remington corelokts for my whitetail rounds in many calibers and always had good expansion and animals always drop. Im no expert but i do kill a lot of **** and seem to have better luck with soft points. Good luck and let us know how it goes. Interested to see what you find out.

Weird. My experience with the 110 Barnes WITH THE BLACK TIPS has produced 98% DRT kills. The blue tip Barnes can be marginal due to the lower velocity of the blackout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Horitexan View Post
              I found the link below that says SiCo has rated the Omega down to 10" barrel for the 6.8 SPC. I think they mistakenly started saying 16" because they weren't familiar with the caliber and erroneously compared it to a .308. It's a pretty mild caliber and should be just fine through a shorter barrel, like 10.5-12.5" Confirm with SiCo, of course; but at least you, now, have the name of a CS rep that you can reference. Hope this is good news.

Further down the thread looks like it's a mistake that they quoted 10". Looks like the real number is still 16.

Comment

I might have to make a 6.8 out of one of mine and just run the saker on it. Gonna experiment with some better loads in 300bo first though.

Comment

Working...
                X