Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Self Defense AR Ammo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think i probably should have started a new thread with my last post. The AR in itself would not cuase the arrest but the scenerio where i had time to pull out my AR and use it in a valid self defense situation makes me think that it could be looked at as me being the aggressor. That's why i was asking in what scenarios it would be ok? Sorry to the OP for side tracking your thread.

Comment

Originally posted by jackster1978 View Post
      Self defense AR for your truck? I'm not the smartest cookie in the jar. Can someone give me scenarios where i would use an AR carried in my truck for self defense and not get arrested? I'm not being confrontational at all. I'm all about shooting bad guys in the face, but how do i stay out of jail doing so?

I'm merely relaying what the OP posted about not saying I would use one in my truck

Comment

In the truck, 55grn soft point since it would probably be used for coyotes more than anything.

Comment

I usually don't keep a rifle in my truck but when I do it's my 11.5" SBR loaded with 70gr Barnes TSX

Comment

55 grain soft point, or fmj that's the beauty of an AR, mag capacity. If I'm to the point the Ar is out in a self defense situation car doors and glass might stop a few rounds but, but a few of the next 27 have a good chance of finding their mark.

Comment

David, if I were to load up an AR for home Defense, it's going to be the way I load my carry pistols. The first 2 rounds of each mag are some nasty hollow points, the remaining rounds in the mag are FMJ's. If I have to shoot more than twice, it'll be more than likely some shootout scenario and I want the additional penetration the FMJ's have to offer. I just hope I'm never in that scenario.
              Last edited by lglidewell; 11-18-2015, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lglidewell View Post
                David, if I were to load up an AR for home Defense, it's going to be the way I load my carry pistols. The first 2 rounds of each mag are some nasty hollow points, the remaining rounds in the mag are FMJ's. If I have to shoot more than twice, it'll be more than likely some shootout scenario and I want the additional penetration the FMJ's have to offer. I just hope I'm never in that scenario.
                I like this answer. I never thought of it that way. I just alternate lots of high dollar rounds because I have no idea how they really work on a person.

Comment

Thanks guys. That gives me something to think about.

I am on the road a lot. I also park in garages in Houston and occasionally in Dallas. Something hits the fan in down town Houston you may not be able to make your way out in a vehicle (like traffic jams in NY on 9/11). I am thinking through scenarios where I can get to my truck but may not be able to get my truck on the road but want something more than just a pistol. Or my vehicle becomes disabled and I need to go it on foot. I want to have as much or more firepower as the person(s) that I'm defending myself against and more practice/forethought to how I'd do it.

I've thought about mixing Fusions with FMJ in a coupe mags. I also thought about green tips but that could be too much penetration.

FYI - there is nothing against the law about carrying an AR.

Comment

Originally posted by lglidewell View Post

This is along the lines of what I was thinking. The bottom half of the mag is what I'm not 100% sure of.

Comment

I have 26 64gr Winchester soft points in a dedicated mag that stays in my M4 as it sits in gun case. I rarely use it as a truck gun, but when it's in the truck it's set up the same.

Comment

75 gr TAP

Comment

Federal TRU

Comment

Remington factory 55gr SP.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                              If you can get your hands on some, Federal LE Tactical Bonded 62gr.

Why? Because it holds together and penetrates through most common barriers including windshield glass and has great expasion without fragmenting.

Close the thread.
                              This^^^^^

Go look at the videos of expansion and penetration with this round vs TAP, you will throw the TAP away or use it on varmints. This is THE round and it has the track record on the street to prove it.

View LE Technical Bulletins. Learn about mounting systems, cleaning products, ballistics, ammunition components, and performance specifications such as muzzle velocity, accuracy, and penetration.

Watch the .223 video

Comment

55 grain v-max. They fragment and turn a critters insides into jelly. I don't see why it wouldn't do the same to a two legged critter.

Comment

Working...
                                X