X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Any 6.5 or bigger.

Comment

My uncle killed the first aoudad I ever saw back in 1975 with a single round from a .22 magnum. He killed it because it had beat his big domestic ram almost to death. It is mounted in his house and is just a bit over 37” and over 12” bases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BDKeeling View Post
          My uncle killed the first aoudad I ever saw back in 1975 with a single round from a .22 magnum. He killed it because it had beat his big domestic ram almost to death. It is mounted in his house and is just a bit over 37” and over 12” bases.

Wow! I'd love to see a pic of that!

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            Wow! I'd love to see a pic of that!

Next time I go over I’ll take a photo, it’s a very old mount but still impressive.

Comment

6.5x55 Swede, is that considered oddball since it’s been around for 100 years? Leupold scope with CDS, or a cheap vortex

Comment

In

Comment

I used a 110 grain bullet out of a friends 25-06. He took about 10 steps then tipped over. All about shot placement for aoudad

Comment

Originally posted by chtx View Post
                    I used a 110 grain bullet out of a friends 25-06. He took about 10 steps then tipped over. All about shot placement for aoudad
                    Good to hear. I'm likely to stick with my .25-06 for January aoudad hunt. Just need to be dialed in with best available ammo, for possible long range shot on big animal.

Comment

dropped my largest at 320 yards with my 25-06 shooting a 117gr hornady

Comment

Originally posted by sandbill View Post
                        Doing a little research for an upcoming, first time ever aoudad hunt, at Palo Duro Canyon SP. This is the caliber and load I'm considering, since it's about all I've used and have readily available. It's a little light in the opinion of many, it seems. Shot placement is critical as always. We'll see.
                        Happen to be going on the same hunt this year, never done it before either. Using a 270 with a 145gr ELDX

Comment

I shot mine in January with a .300 WinMag pushing 180 gr. partitions and he was DRT. I ad never seen one up close. I learned quick that a big ram is stout and I was glad I did not try with my .243!

So, here is something to consider. I would shoot what you are most accurate with in a caliber that will produce a dead right there animal with a less than perfect shot. I'm no fan of recoil so my .300 has a muzzle break and doesn't kick much more than my favorite caliber, .243. I shoot it well and shot placement was good. On flat ground, it might not be as big a deal, but mountain critters are notorious for plunging headlong over the mountain with their final breath and breaking horns. So, shoot something that produces a DRT ram that you shoot with confidence and take pics for those of us sitting behind computers wishing we were hunting!

Comment

Originally posted by atorres View Post
                            Happen to be going on the same hunt this year, never done it before either. Using a 270 with a 145gr ELDX
                            Hey, good luck to you, atorres! We'll be there for the Jan. 15-17 hunt.
                            Last edited by sandbill; 09-01-2018, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
                              I shot mine in January with a .300 WinMag pushing 180 gr. partitions and he was DRT. I ad never seen one up close. I learned quick that a big ram is stout and I was glad I did not try with my .243!

So, here is something to consider. I would shoot what you are most accurate with in a caliber that will produce a dead right there animal with a less than perfect shot. I'm no fan of recoil so my .300 has a muzzle break and doesn't kick much more than my favorite caliber, .243. I shoot it well and shot placement was good. On flat ground, it might not be as big a deal, but mountain critters are notorious for plunging headlong over the mountain with their final breath and breaking horns. So, shoot something that produces a DRT ram that you shoot with confidence and take pics for those of us sitting behind computers wishing we were hunting!

Yeah, they're big rascals for sure. Outback, we'll try to get some pics delivered, especially if one of us scores!

Comment

Man I feel like an idiot for killing bunch of them with a 257wby, a few well over 300 yards. I can’t beleive I didn’t use a 375 HH on them. I should probably go to mass and confess my sins....

Comment

Working...
                                X