Caliber for Aoudad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caliber for Aoudad?

What rifle/scope combo would you carry on a aoudad hunt in rugged Texas hill country with a lot of hill climbing and walking? Shot distances up to 250-300 yards. I don't want to reload or deal with oddball calibers, think off-the-shelf instead of custom.

Help me spend a budget of $1000 or less.

i killed mine dead as a hammer with a remington 700 .270 synthetic with the cheap bushnell scope that came in the package deal.

Comment

Tikka T3 in 30-06 , LEU glass

Comment

All you need is a good old trusty 30-06.

Id recommend a Remington 700 30-06 with a ziess conquest 3-9x50 that combo will cover you for anything in North America and should be easily acquired for $1,000

Comment

I will tell you that thier vitals are a little more forward than a whitetail though so good shot placement will go a long way.

Comment

I prefer 78 lb PSE with 480 grain arrows. Thats the way more texas hunters should try , and enjoy the real satisfying way of hunting auodads..

Comment

Ruger mark II m77 in 30-06 with a leupold 4-12x40 $650 comes to mind.. Just saying lol

Comment

Originally posted by dave kaden View Post
                I prefer 78 lb PSE with 480 grain arrows. Thats the way more texas hunters should try , and enjoy the real satisfying way of hunting auodads..
                I don't believe the man asked anything about what sort of bow equip to use, so don't start to tell him or anyone else your elitist view of hunting.

I like my bow as much as the next guy and more than once have hunted with it all season passing shots that were a slam dunk with a rifle. But I too like many others around here like to pull out a bang stick and shoot one.

To the Op-IMO it starts with a well constructed 7mm bullet but that animal would be best served with a 180 grain chunk of led or slightly less in a Barnes.

You'd be hard pressed to beat a Tikka T3 in 7mag, 30-06 or 300WM. All of them will do the job and are easy to get a wide variety of ammo for. I'd then scope it in a 4.5-14 Nikon Buckmaster or Monarch to stick within your budget.

Comment

ive shot mine with a 308

Comment

Hmm.. yup, looks like an application for a .30-06.

Comment

Killed two with a 270 and two with a 308

Comment

I killed my first one with a .240 Weatherby and a 100gr Partition when I was a kid. I'll be taking my 7mag with 160gr AccuBonds on my next hunt for them in January. They're tough critters, but they're not bullet proof or anything.

Comment

Remington 700 .270 with a solid scope should be plenty and affordable. Spend more on the scope than the rifle in most cases!

Comment

Killed mine with a Ruger 99/44 with a 240gr JSP. 135yds. It was the only rifle I brought on that trip

Comment

I think you need a 300wm Remington Sendero with a Huskamaw Scope. No doubt. Drop that puppy a 1k yards.

Comment

Working...
                              X