No announcement yet.

Nosler 26 for moose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bryon, do you own the 26 or are you thinking about making a new purchase? Good luck with your hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by bm22 View Post
      I agree with mike D, the swede has killed more european moose than probably any other caliber in the last 100 years. I would take the 26. You are probably over gunned with a .338.
      The European moose tends to be smaller and they are hunted with dogs if I remember right. Wound it and the dogs will be all over it.

Another thing to consider with moose is a lot of the hunting is done around water. If you have a bull up on dry land, you want to break it down where it can't get out in deep water and die.

There are probably not 3-4 guys on this thread that have killed a moose or anything else that big, I suggest that the OP ask his outfitter, those guys have actual experience with the animals.

Comment

I'm friends with the son of a former moose and bear outfitter.
        Shot placement of a decent 30ish caliber trumps all he says.
        I'd take my 338 Winnie personally.
        Have a great trip.
        Dozier
        Accuracy beats speed

Comment

I'd use my 300 win and 180 gr TTSX or 200 gr Accubond.....but I doubt I ever get to hunt a BIG moose anyway! Moose here in the states.....a deer rifle with good bullets will work fine if you can shoot

Comment

Good luck on the moose hunt, your bullet needs energy and mass. I've pulled many projectiles from old wounds in elk that didn't break a single bone, speed and energy are great but not without mass. Of course all of this talk is worthless without shot placement. As was said here before, ask and trust your guide.

Comment

It should be fine if you know your limitations. Shot placements is always the key.

Comment

I will be in Canada in agricultural areas no bears in the area. I have a 26 but also have a 300 WSM. I am just more confident with the 26.

Comment

It seems to me that you can a moose with a properly placed sharp stick but given their size and likely proximity to water, I would prefer it to be DRT before it makes a final death march into said water and a big 30 caliber bonded bullet would provide more shock and awe than an equally lethal but likely slower killing smaller caliber. Since I have a .300 Win Mag, I would take it but I assure you I could kill one with a properly placed shot from my .220 Swift, AR or .243 if I was hungry enough and a moose wandered by. He would be just as dead, it would just take him a few seconds longer to sort it out.

Comment

Great thread, great info

Comment

Working...
                    X