No announcement yet.

Nosler 26 for moose

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't remember where I read it or I'd post it....but I do remember reading a story about a moose hunter killing his with a 243. I think it was his fathers rifle and that's why he chose it or something along those lines.

After TT killed a water buffalo with a 223 and a buddy of mine killed a gemsbok with a 17 Rem....I don't really care about caliber anymore
    Last edited by Bowhuntamistad; 03-08-2015, 11:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post

Where can I get a 38-55 Winchester upper for my AK before my next ellaFunt hunt?

Comment

Originally posted by ByronF View Post
        So I will get better penetration with a heavier bullet with less ft lbs of energy over a lighter bullet with more ft lbs? I understand the 338 is a better choice just trying to understand the difference between speed and energy and how it performs down range.
        First of all the 26 does not have more energy. Second energy does not equal penetration. The construction of the projectile and momentum equals penetration.

The lighter faster bullet will expend its energy quicker but lacks the momentum to carry on thru hide and heavy bone to reach the vitals.

The 26 is designed for long range and most of the bullets are not suitable for moose hunting. You may have a 400 yd shot or you may also have a 10 yard shot. The 26 bullet that will expand at 400 yds will most likely blow up at 10 yds with those velocities and not penetrate at all.

The 338 will have more momentum with its heavier bullet designed to stay together and penetrate even when passing thru hide or crushing bone

Comment

Is Moose typically considered a long range hunt where you are going? It would work, but I'd take bigger!

Comment

Like a i said the 6.5x55 Swede has killed many a moose for decades.

I would not feel under gunned with a 26 Nosler and a well constructed bullet. High sectional density contributes to deep penetration.

Comment

Generally speaking, slower bullets penetrate more reliably because they are less likely to blow up. Larger bullets penetrate bone better because they have more energy and momentum. They also have more weight to lose through the animal and still make it through.

Of course, the people that are saying that Euro's have been killing moose with a 6.5 Swede for decades are also correct.
              Last edited by El General; 03-09-2015, 09:07 AM.

Comment

I agree with mike D, the swede has killed more european moose than probably any other caliber in the last 100 years. I would take the 26. You are probably over gunned with a .338.

Comment

Originally posted by bm22 View Post
                  I agree with mike D, the swede has killed more european moose than probably any other caliber in the last 100 years. I would take the 26. You are probably over gunned with a .338.
                  until you stumble up on a ****** of Grizzly with that .26.......The .338 is a better choice for Alaska.

Comment

If I were leaving tomorrow to shoot a moose I'd take my 26 Nosler.

Comment

Probably the first time I have ever read that a 338 would be over gunned for moose.

Are the 6.5s enough? Sure, so is a 243 but not ideal if you have better options available

Comment

I'd probably take my 7 RUM and 300 RUM. I always take two.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                          Probably the first time I have ever read that a 338 would be over gunned for moose.

Are the 6.5s enough? Sure, so is a 243 but not ideal if you have better options available
                          Most people don't realize how big a moose can be, look at it this way.
                          a caribou is twice as big as a whitetail, an elk is twice as big as a caribou, a moose can be twice as big as an elk.

I wish I could find an old pic of me standing there with a moose hind qtr
                          I'm 6'2" and the hind qtr was several inches taller than I am

One other thing to consider when hunting moose, it that a lot of the time grizzly or brown bears inhabit the same area

Comment

Originally posted by texas shag View Post
                            until you stumble up on a ****** of Grizzly with that .26.......The .338 is a better choice for Alaska.
                            Is he going to alaska?

I thought I read it was somewhere in canada. If i was going somewhere with a large grizzly problem I would take that into account.

If you can kill a moose with a 6.5x55 the 26 shouldn't be a problem. Isn't that 600-700 fps difference.

Come on don't compare a 26 nosler to a .243. I am sure they kill moose with a 7mm mag and a 26 should be more lethal than a 7mm mag i would think especially with 150 gr bonded bullets.

Comment

Is he going to alaska?

I thought I read it was somewhere in canada. If i was going somewhere with a large grizzly problem I would take that into account.

If you can kill a moose with a 6.5x55 the 26 shouldn't be a problem. Isn't that 600-700 fps difference.

Come on don't compare a 26 nosler to a .243. I am sure they kill moose with a 7mm mag and a 26 should be more lethal than a 7mm mag i would think especially with 150 gr bonded bullets.
                              I'm not comparing it to a 243 just saying they're killed with lots of calibers but that doesn't make them ideal.

Comment

I shot my eland with a borrowed 6.5x55. They are about the same size as a moose. Would I do it again? Maybe, maybe not. I dont know.

You can kill a moose with the 26 Nosler, but adding bears in the equation makes me want something with a little more oomph. My dad shot his first moose with his 7mm Mag and then the next with a 338 WM. The 7mm dropped after 1 and the second took a lot of lead to bring down.

Ultimately, its your decision and you should shoot what YOU feel comfortable shooting. It's your hunt.

Comment

Working...
                                X