• Time
  • Show
Clear All

O/U: Bottom or Top Barrel first?

Right now Im bottom first.

What are you shooting first this year?

The middle one!!

Comment

I've always shot top barrel first - can't say I have a reason....

Comment

Bottom first. Theoretically lower upward recoil, so you get back on target faster.

Comment

Bottom barrel first. It's more in line with the center of the shotgun, and won't push the gun as far out of line as the top barrel, making for quicker recovery and a faster second shot.

Comment

It depends on which chokes I have in and the shot opportunity. I usually hunt with one more open choke (improved cylinder usually) and one tighter choke (usually modified or improved modified). If birds are incoming, I'll shoot the tight choke first and the open choke second when the birds are closer. If the birds are crossing or going away, I'll shoot the open choke first and the tight choke second.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
              Bottom first. Theoretically lower upward recoil, so you get back on target faster.
              Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
              Bottom barrel first. It's more in line with the center of the shotgun, and won't push the gun as far out of line as the top barrel, making for quicker recovery and a faster second shot.
              Hmmm... Maybe I need to switch!

Comment

I just got mine and so far I am liking the bottom first.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                  Hmmm... Maybe I need to switch!
                  Jerp, this is the reason I have always shot bottom first.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                    It depends on which chokes I have in and the shot opportunity. I usually hunt with one more open choke (improved cylinder usually) and one tighter choke (usually modified or improved modified). If birds are incoming, I'll shoot the tight choke first and the open choke second when the birds are closer. If the birds are crossing or going away, I'll shoot the open choke first and the tight choke second.
                    ^^This

Comment

This is my way. Just depends. Shoot a 20 so recoil ain't bad.

Comment

Agree with this. I try to set up so I can shoot the bottom barrel first, but let conditions dictate which barrel is first.

Comment

I've always shot my open choke in the top barrel, but I'm going to swap it to the bottom barrel and give this a try. It makes since, now that I think about it.

Comment

Bottom first, less muzzle flip allows for better follow up shot

Comment

I'm fairly new into sporting clays but most of them shoot bottom 1st for reasons stated above.

Comment

Working...
                              X