Night Vision hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuy View Post
    Agreed. I've seen this too. Straight up bolting after I click on the light.
    Have seen the same.

Comment

Sounds like yall need to get to work on killing those educated pigs!

Comment

No joke! I'm itching real bad to get out into the woods. Been too long...I'm starting to get the shakes

Comment

Received my Sniper Hog Lights 30LR light and Red + IR LED modules today. Very Fast shipping as I only ordered it 2 days ago and the quality of the light is good. I have just been able to play with the IR module and Photon around the house tonight so far but it looks like it will work well with the Photon with the exception of the Variable tailcap. When I use the variable tailcap, I get a bunch of horizontal lines (dark, light, dark, light....) on the screen in addition to the image. The IR module seems to work fine with the normal push button tailcap (only 2 brightness levels though which is not going to be the best for my hunting set-up) with a nice clear image and no lines. I tried the light with the red LED installed instead of the IR module and the variable tailcap seems to work OK with it. I am not an electronics/night vision guru so I have no idea what the problem could be, but I would not recommend the variable tailcap with the IR module. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the photon is digital and not traditional NV? I'm going to hunt with it this weekend, so we'll see how it goes.

Comment

Originally posted by wade _s View Post
            Received my Sniper Hog Lights 30LR light and Red + IR LED modules today. Very Fast shipping as I only ordered it 2 days ago and the quality of the light is good. I have just been able to play with the IR module and Photon around the house tonight so far but it looks like it will work well with the Photon with the exception of the Variable tailcap. When I use the variable tailcap, I get a bunch of horizontal lines (dark, light, dark, light....) on the screen in addition to the image. The IR module seems to work fine with the normal push button tailcap (only 2 brightness levels though which is not going to be the best for my hunting set-up) with a nice clear image and no lines. I tried the light with the red LED installed instead of the IR module and the variable tailcap seems to work OK with it. I am not an electronics/night vision guru so I have no idea what the problem could be, but I would not recommend the variable tailcap with the IR module. Maybe it has to do with the fact that the photon is digital and not traditional NV? I'm going to hunt with it this weekend, so we'll see how it goes.

That's has me stumped..sounds more like a problem with the interface if the light modules and tail cap not coinciding well together.
            My UNV 20 IR with variable power works fine with my photon and so does a stream light I've used.

Comment

Originally posted by keatonskidmore View Post
              That's has me stumped..sounds more like a problem with the interface if the light modules and tail cap not coinciding well together.
              My UNV 20 IR with variable power works fine with my photon and so does a stream light I've used.
              I thought the same thing. I think it must be something electronic related and in the variable tailcap. Maybe it is in the way that the tailcap regulates the power to the LED. It's like looking at a TV screen when there is a problem with the TV signal/interference. I'try it again this weekend when I have a lot of wide open space and see what happens. Maybe it is a defective tailcap and the red LED is just not as sensitive to the problem. The red LED does "flicker" a little bit, but I only noticed this when actually adjusting the brightness. The IR LED does it constantly no matter what brightness.

Comment

Is anyone using the Xsight yet? Any reports on them?

Comment

Originally posted by wade _s View Post
                  The wavy lines you see has to do with the way the dimmer tail cap regulates the power and the way digital night vision see's it because it works perfect with regular night vision. I also replied to your PM about returning the dimmer tail cap for a full refund if you want. You should be able to control the brightness with the regular 2 mode tail cap though by simply using low or high mode and then using the adjustable focus to get the brightness you need. The more you widen the beam the less distance it will shine.

Originally posted by keatonskidmore View Post
                  Does the UNV 20IR actually have variable power or is it simply three modes, Low, medium and high. My guess is it three modes not variable power just like our 2 mode tail caps that have low and high modes.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post
                    The wavy lines you see has to do with the way the dimmer tail cap regulates the power and the way digital night vision see's it because it works perfect with regular night vision. I also replied to your PM about returning the dimmer tail cap for a full refund if you want. You should be able to control the brightness with the regular 2 mode tail cap though by simply using low or high mode and then using the adjustable focus to get the brightness you need. The more you widen the beam the less distance it will shine.

Does the UNV 20IR actually have variable power or is it simply three modes, Low, medium and high. My guess is it three modes not variable power just like our 2 mode tail caps that have low and high modes.

That's correct. Three modes.

That makes a lot of sense with the reason it's showing the way it is for him. Thank you for the explanation

Comment

What is the difference between "variable power" and "3 modes"? Sounds like 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

Wade, can you post a pic of what you're seeing?

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                        What is the difference between "variable power" and "3 modes"? Sounds like 6 of one and half a dozen of the other.

I'm gonna guess it's like a dimmer switch where the power gradually increases/decreases instead of a few set modes. We have another IR illuminators that has a dial on it so the power is gradual.

Comment

Originally posted by gonehuntin68 View Post

Thanks for the explanation and the offer, but I'll keep the dimmer tailcap because it will be very handy when using the red LED and no night vision.

Comment

The variable/dimmer tailcap is like turning a knob and gradually increasing the intensity of the beam from almost non-visible to 100%. The dimmer tailcap also makes almost no noise when you turn it on and is silent when increasing the intensity. It is a very nice addition to the light and would be great if it worked with the IR module and the Photon because you could leave it turned way down (less light and saving battery) while sitting there scanning, then turn it up when you want to shoot. The push button tailcap makes an audible click when going from off/high/low and unfortunately the light 1st comes on at high power then goes down to low power then to off, so you have to click 2 x (low-->off-->high) if you want to scan on low and shoot on high.

I'll try to get a picture but my photography skills are pretty poor.

Comment

You can't do a "half-push" on his lights to advance through the modes?

Comment

You can't do a "half-push" on his lights to advance through the modes?
                                I'm not sure about that. I did not try it and I could have missed it while reading through the instruction sheet. That would be nice if it is a feature.

Comment

Working...
                                X