Night Vision hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
    If he put an IR laser on his rifle, he wouldn't even need a photon for shooting. Could just scan with goggles and shoot!
    Either way, awesomeness!

Comment

Originally posted by LastHurrah View Post
      Would be cool if you could switch between the monocular and photon easily for shooting with the fatsharks
      Actually you should be able to plug the video out cable on the Photon to the video in cable on the fat sharks if you wanted to do it that way!

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
        Actually you should be able to plug the video out cable on the Photon to the video in cable on the fat sharks if you wanted to do it that way!

Yep I was just wondering if there was a way you could have the both connected and could switch back and forth without having to take the fatsharks off.

Comment

I'm back in the nightvision game! Did some trading and ended up with a PVS-14.
          I'm going to run it like this and it looks like it's going to work great!

These pics don't do it justice.

Our street doesn't have any street lights and looking out of the garage down the street it looks like this is going to work great!

Comment

LG, very nice. Specs?

Comment

Originally posted by lglidewell View Post
              I'm back in the nightvision game! Did some trading and ended up with a PVS-14.

I'm going to run it like this and it looks like it's going to work great!

These pics don't do it justice.

Our street doesn't have any street lights and looking out of the garage down the street it looks like this is going to work great!

I wouldn't run it like that. Mounting it in front and it not being a clip on unit the lenses will shift the POI from what I've read. You and mount it on the back just fine though and they make a bracket you can get online for it to go on the back.

Comment

LG, very nice. Specs?
                AN/PVS-14 Original owner said it was the NEPVS-14 model (Night Enforcer)

Manufacturer:L3
                Dimensions:4.5″(L) x 2.0″(W) x 2.25″(H)
                Weight:12.4oz.
                Finish:Matte Black, Corrosion Resistant
                Power:One (1) Standard AA Battery
                Battery Life:Approx. 50 Hours at Room Temp.
                Waterproof:60′ for 2 Hours
                Generation:Gen3 U.S. Litton
                Resolution:64-72 lp/mm Typical
                Film:Thin-Film
                Gate:Auto
                Gain:Adjustable
                VariableMagnification:1X +0.03
                Last edited by lglidewell; 01-16-2015, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by LastHurrah View Post
                  Yep I was just wondering if there was a way you could have the both connected and could switch back and forth without having to take the fatsharks off.
                  You could get a simple AV switch for the RCA inputs like what can be used on your TV. Another option would be to get a switch used in RC FPV stuff that would switch the input, but would need the use of an RC remote so that doesn't seem practical.

Something like this might work:

I can see that setup getting bulky fast though and wires would be hanging everywhere!

Comment

Originally posted by keatonskidmore View Post
                    I wouldn't run it like that. Mounting it in front and it not being a clip on unit the lenses will shift the POI from what I've read. You and mount it on the back just fine though and they make a bracket you can get online for it to go on the back.
                    well crap. Not what I wanted to hear.

Comment

Originally posted by lglidewell View Post
                      well crap. Not what I wanted to hear.

I know..I started to do the same thing with ours but once I started looking for an adapter to mount it up front I started reading that it shifts the POI. If you run it behind it it should work fine

Comment

Mounted

Comment

^^ Sweet rig. Why so high on the mount?
                          Last edited by 35remington; 01-17-2015, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Nice looking rig Travis. Now get that puppy sighted in!
                            Last edited by Texas Grown; 01-17-2015, 03:23 PM.

Comment

Went out last night and killed 4. I really slacked on the pictures last night because I was a little rushed. But here's a few
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421530086.935357.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	352.9 KB
ID:	24358953Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421530103.206106.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	334.2 KB
ID:	24358954

Comment

^^ Sweet rig. Why so high on the mount?

It's what I had, Larue QD 1.5 mount.

Ok so first impressions. Wow.

Hands down one of the best first impressions of a night scope I have ever handled.

To clarify I have owned a D-760 and I have owned a PVS-14 and PVS-7. I have also shot a couple of thermal scopes.

Today I would buy this for 500ish dollars over my 4400 dollar d760 I sold. Hands down.

First impressions. It's light. I sold my d760 because it was a beast and even worse with a can. Feels solid, it's a bit long but not more than a high powered scope. I didn't read the instructions so I fumbled my way through the instructions. Instructions are only for lego's and anything you have to build for your children. So thumbs up for taking me minimal effort to figure out how to work it.

Also, it isn't green like Nightvision. Looks more thermal. Which I love. I hate NV green.

First off, sight in was super easy. The gain works great during the day time and you can easily sight in a rifle at 100 yards. I chose 75 yards because most all my shots I've done at night are about that. Accuracy was good. I shot a .75" group out of my 300 blackout SBR at 75 yards.

Daytime function was great and super clear with the cap on. Very impressed. 200 yard shots no issue whatsoever.

Ok on to night.

It is great. 150 yard shots all day. I could see the black on the center of my sight in targets out to 150. 200 yard detection no problem

At 75 the ir makes it glow.

My only complaint. The IR does not perfectly align with the view on the scope. About 1/8 of the viewing pain does not get the full effect of the IR. But not a big deal. Just a little thing.

Detection on animals is awesome out to 200.

ETA, I forgot to mention this BPG IR I got from STXHunter when I bought the photon. Wow. It extends the range to 400 and you can turn the IR gain down to almost nothing. Actually you have to or won't see anything due to washout.
                                Last edited by mesquitecountry; 01-17-2015, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X